C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wiper Motor rebuild Sweeeet with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Wiper Motor rebuild Sweeeet with pics

Hello
I had my motor rebuilt because it stopped working at some time during the last 10 plus years I owned this Corvette. Lack of use probably what did it in..

RS Restoration Service Steve Hackel There is another guy who has WR Restoration...kinda confusing they have similar services. If you want Steve Hackel he with RS Restoration!!!

Note : The Colt 45 was in picture those who don't like gun ignore
Those who do its a 1944 Colt 45 semi auto all original 85% finish. I bought it from a nice gentleman who was a WW2 Fighter Pilot wasn't used much.. I was giving it its 3 month cleaning and oiling..

Old 11-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice resto (both)!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:38 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello
I had my motor rebuilt because it stopped working at some time during the last 10 plus years I owned this Corvette. Lack of use probably what did it in..

RS Restoration Service Steve Hackel There is another guy who has WR Restoration...kinda confusing they have similar services. If you want Steve Hackel he with RS Restoration!!!

Those who do its a 1944 Colt 45 semi auto all original 85% finish. I bought it from a nice gentleman who was a WW2 Fighter Pilot wasn't used much.. I was giving it its 3 month cleaning and oiling..

UPS tracking shows I'm getting my motor back on Friday from Corvette Specialties of Md West. I hope it looks as good as yours.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Nice wiper motor resto...just have to install it now CAREFULLY!

I finally sold my original Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model .45 last year.
I'd had it since 1974; fella been begging me for it for quite a while and I wasn't gonna carry a 3lb piece of iron around anymore so I let it go. Went with a Kimber Ultra-Raptor...23 ounces and 3" barrel and works flawlessly.

Nice piece you have in the pic.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Nice wiper motor resto...just have to install it now CAREFULLY!

I finally sold my original Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model .45 last year.
I'd had it since 1974; fella been begging me for it for quite a while and I wasn't gonna carry a 3lb piece of iron around anymore so I let it go. Went with a Kimber Ultra-Raptor...23 ounces and 3" barrel and works flawlessly.

Nice piece you have in the pic.
Frankie if you come across another example let me know! I have a new 80s series Colt 45..I want a 70s version Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model .45 Nice original examples are starting to get $$$ these days!!!

P.S.
Those of you who asked..... No I never shot my middle finger off when cleaning any of my guns!!! Jose Canseco's shot his middle finger off with a custom Remington .45...he going to sell the gun and the middle finger...

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 11-19-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Frankie if you come across another example let me know! I have a new 80s series Colt 45..I want a 70s version Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model .45 Nice original examples are starting to get $$$ these days!!!
Will do - original '70s have a crisper trigger than the '80s (don't have that extra safety fliz); mine was 95% original finish but non-original grips - never could locate any that weren't mega-bucks; I ran with Pachymer's...

Back on topic: If you have ignition shield with those crazy serrated edge tabs (like my '63) be REAL careful installing it. The back tab on the shielding can scratch the snot out of your pretty motor cover (ask me how I know)!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

P.S.
Those of you who asked..... No I never shot my middle finger off when cleaning any of my guns!!! Jose Canseco's shot his middle finger off with a custom Remington .45...he going to sell the gun and the middle finger...
Any idiot dumb enough to be cleaning a loaded gun deserves to blow off a finger!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM
BWT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Hate to spoil your pleasure, but GM never supplied wiper motors on a Corvette, or any other vehicle that looked like that. Assuming it is a 518 for a 63 or 64 it would have had the semi transparent 1 pc washer valve. In addition, the pump cover would have 2 holes not one hole. In addition, the plating on the steel parts, pump cover, pump mount plate, and end cap were never that bright, looks like bright zinc in the pictures. The aluminum case would also have a natural appearance, it could be compared to the insides of the wiper motor that are visible when the pump is removed. Etc. etc. Although this will certainly look nice in a detailed engine compartment, it is not correct if judging is your immediate goal.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:12 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

What would be the point deduct in NCRS judging for an over restored wiper motor?
Rick
Old 11-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BWT
Hate to spoil your pleasure, but GM never supplied wiper motors on a Corvette, or any other vehicle that looked like that. Assuming it is a 518 for a 63 or 64 it would have had the semi transparent 1 pc washer valve. In addition, the pump cover would have 2 holes not one hole. In addition, the plating on the steel parts, pump cover, pump mount plate, and end cap were never that bright, looks like bright zinc in the pictures. The aluminum case would also have a natural appearance, it could be compared to the insides of the wiper motor that are visible when the pump is removed. Etc. etc. Although this will certainly look nice in a detailed engine compartment, it is not correct if judging is your immediate goal.
Hello
This car will never be judged, I should have taken a picture of it before I sent it in. This wiper motor was crusty and didn't work. I like this version much much better...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Judged?

Hello
This car will never be judged, I should have taken a picture of it before I sent it in. This wiper motor was crusty and didn't work. I like this version much much better...
I agree with you. Sometimes this "judging" bit goes overboard and is insane. I have a 66 that is 95% original and will not get "judged" while I own it. Makes more sense to have everything work dependably and enjoy the ride. Good job on your work. Hope it wasn't too difficult to reinstall ! Best...
Old 11-23-2014, 12:40 PM
gschlarman
Instructor

Just reinstalled mine after it was restored by corvette specialties of md west. I wanted it original looking for a 66. I suppose it is and doesn't approach the look of yours, but I had kinda hoped it would.

Working by myself, it took about an hour to reinstall on my BB with distributor still in but cap off. I already had my glove box out for my harness replacement so I'm not counting that time.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:45 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hello

Looking forward to doing the same when I pull my motor soon, wiper motor been kaput since 2013; no wiper motor living in FLA = dry weather car only. But what really brings tears to my eyes is your 1944 Colt 45...my grandfather got his serving in the belly of the B-17 1942-1944 over Europe. He gave it to my dad before flying off to greener pastures, and my dad had his entire collectible gun collection stolen from his house in Oregon while he was on the east coast for chemo treatments in 2008. If I ever find the ahole who took my family's collection, I will pistol whip him with that good ole 45. That's how Gramps would have wanted it.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:10 PM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by gschlarman
Just reinstalled mine after it was restored by corvette specialties of md west. I wanted it original looking for a 66. I suppose it is and doesn't approach the look of yours, but I had kinda hoped it would.

Working by myself, it took about an hour to reinstall on my BB with distributor still in but cap off. I already had my glove box out for my harness replacement so I'm not counting that time.
Update: BTW, I am fully satisfied with the original appearance of my motor as my car is judged from time to time.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Motor rebuild Sweeeet with pics

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor rebuild Sweeeet with pics