C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 core support crooked - can/should it be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default '61 core support crooked - can/should it be adjusted?

I've removed the old "direct-fit" radiator which had a piece of hose in one of the lower cushions. After putting in new tight fitting cushions I put the new DeWitts 943B radiator into place and found that it's not true to the front frame at the top. Found that the core support is out of true by about 1/4" (drivers side is closer to the front - see pic) at the bottom.

I think I should straighten it up. Will there be enough adjustment with the 6 core support bolts to accomplish this? Or should I leave well enough alone and have a noticeably crooked radiator?

I also found out that I should have a hex adapter and an extension on the radiator drain between the petcock and the radiator (AIM calls out a drain and extension assembly). Wish I would have noticed this.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2014, 05:04 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Tweaked core cupport

Decided the best course of action was to pull out the core support after trying to get it true in the car. Found out that it's tweaked a little bit which accounts for at least some of the crookedness. Neighbor is going to come over tomorrow and help me try to straighten it out. Funny thing is that there isn't any apparent damage to it - it's just crooked.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:23 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

A political radiator support?

Get notified of new replies

To '61 core support crooked - can/should it be adjusted?

Quick Reply: '61 core support crooked - can/should it be adjusted?