C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Front end repair after wreck?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 66 Front end repair after wreck?

Hi everyone, First post here.

My dad bought his 66' vette in 73' when he was just 18. It ran great till the mid-late 80s and has not been registered since.

Sad to say but it has sat with nothing but a cover over it for over 20 years. One summer we got it running and he could not resist the temptation to drive it. Unfortunately the short drive down the street ended in a low speed collision which is why I'm here.

Attached is a pic of the front end. I just want to get some advice on fixing this, what do you guys think?....First off, can it be fixed or does it need a new front end altogether? My dad wants to see if he can fix it himself but to me it seems like an impossible job for the fiberglass novice. We have all the pieces still, everything still has it's shape but is just broken off as you can see in the picture.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2014, 03:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad-SixTsix
Hi everyone, First post here.

My dad bought his 66' vette in 73' when he was just 18. It ran great till the mid-late 80s and has not been registered since.

Sad to say but it has sat with nothing but a cover over it for over 20 years. One summer we got it running and he could not resist the temptation to drive it. Unfortunately the short drive down the street ended in a low speed collision which is why I'm here.

Attached is a pic of the front end. I just want to get some advice on fixing this, what do you guys think?....First off, can it be fixed or does it need a new front end altogether? My dad wants to see if he can fix it himself but to me it seems like an impossible job for the fiberglass novice. We have all the pieces still, everything still has it's shape but is just broken off as you can see in the picture.
Forget "piecing it back together" - that will never look any better than boots on a rooster. It needs a new full front clip.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

never heard that one before...

Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Brad...Welcome to the CF! I hope you realize by having to replace the front you will need to repaint the whole car. That effort has great potential to led to a full restoration. You can do most of the prep work, and save $$$ but I would not do the installation of the replacement front end and paintwork. I would leave it all up to a shop that has known Corvette fiberglass work experience. It's your time and money. Take your time and plan this out carefully, and the end result will make you and your dad real happy. Dennis
Old 11-19-2014, 03:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
never heard that one before...
Lifted that saying from a well-known oral surgeon
Old 11-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Forget "piecing it back together" - that will never look any better than boots on a rooster. It needs a new full front clip.
He had a few guys tell him it could be done, but they weren't Corvette guys, and they had never seen it! Couldn't imagine trying to smooth out all those curves after piecing it back together.

Needless to say the car is frustrating...Lots of weird mods by previous owners, the wreck etc. I would love to get the body off and see what condition the frame and birdcage are in.

No worries on the paint, it's mostly gone anyways.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Brad-SixTsix; 11-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Lifted that saying from a well-known oral surgeon

I should trademark that phrase, like Sik Again, or Walla.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

On a more serious note, I agree with JohnZ. You need a complete front end. Do not let anyone talk you into a cheapo "one piece" front. You need a jig assembled front end.

IIRC, there are 2 companies making them, Corvette Image in Oregon (I believe) and Sermersheim Corvette in Indiana.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

that's a shame what happened, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise? Now that it has been damaged, maybe it will put yours and your Dad's eyes and hands on the car after sitting for so long. I am a HUGE Coupe fan, and am also a huge yellow fan.
Like John said (and take ALL the advice he gives) you need a new nose. If it was mine, I would have a reputable Corvette repair shop do the nose and the paint. Then you and your Dad can clean up the interior (if it needs it) and take your time cleaning up the underside (again, if it needs it). You can go as your time and budget allows. Do it right, do it once and don't do it again....LOL....ARA
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I remember the good ole days of police-ing your fiberglass!

In the 1960's and 70's, you crunched a fender, it was a smart move to walk around in the middle of traffic and make sure that you found every piece of glass that you could. I am sure some guys have found some real interesting repairs and probably thought, what the Heck? But that is what you did back in the day! God help you if you were crunched on the freeway, dodging cars to get your pieces would not have been fun. It definitely is a dead art from of fiberglass puzzle piecing them back together!

Well to me, it got crunched-- therefore race car project in the works! Any excuse to see another one built!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:00 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

If the drivers side inner fender is all there I would look for a NOS black glass surround panel and a drivers side parking light panel and have a pro repair that car. Those parts are out there still.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tbarb
If the drivers side inner fender is all there I would look for a NOS black glass surround panel and a drivers side parking light panel and have a pro repair that car. Those parts are out there still.
Have you looked for NOS glass for a mid year in the last ten or so years. You might as well look for lips on that duck posted above.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The wreck happened over 10 years ago!
A few things have been done, all calipers and master cyl replaced and the fuel tank restored. He's got the perfect garage to pull the body off. I think time is the biggest problem. After all as I mentioned the car has sat for over 20 years now. I told him the other day I would be happy to store it in my garage and start pulling it apart but I don't think he's ready to let it go just yet.

The car was originally Nassau Blue....Mods by previous owners:
-Yellow paint
-Sidepipes (originally had the rear exhaust)
-The 4 speed was replaced with a 3 speed auto, but the clutch pedal and original shift plate still remain???
-From what I know the 66 models did not have fuel injection, this one did and also has the fuel injection emblems on the front fenders.

A few other interesting things-Glove box has no liner....etc...Not sure but I think the previous owners name was Bubba!
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2014, 04:30 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Have you looked for NOS glass for a mid year in the last ten or so years. You might as well look for lips on that duck posted above.
I think I saw a NOS black press molded surround at Corvette at Carlisle this year. The parking light panels come up on ebay from time to time.

I know they getting harder to find but if the side fenders and inner fender are in tact (I can't tell from the picture) that front is very repairable.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I was there on Friday and Saturday and did not see any glass No offense but for the price of NOS glass and how the after market fit so well there is no reason to spend the big bucks.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

So, can someone tell me the difference between a jig made front end and a the other made front end? I am seeing a huge difference in price on eckers & corvette image, $1300 vs $5000 for the jig front end.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So, can someone tell me the difference between a jig made front end and a the other made front end? I am seeing a huge difference in price on eckers & corvette image, $1300 vs $5000 for the jig front end.
Quick answer. Others will add to it.

The jig assembled front end is assembled from each individual fiberglass piece, with all the bonding strips, etc. JUST LIKE it was assembled at the factory.

The one piece front is just that. One chunk of fiberglass formed in one piece without bonding strips, etc.

Every one piece front I've seen fits poorly and just looks bad.

It's a cheap way to get the car down the road, but you pay for it later with poor fits and poor resale value.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Front end repair after wreck?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Jig assembled first/top picture. Note inner fenders and all bonding strips.

One piece front second/lower picture. No inner fenders. No bonding strips.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:50 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice.

-From what I know the 66 models did not have fuel injection, this one did and also has the fuel injection emblems on the front fenders.
What you know is quite correct. '65 was the last C2 model year to offer fuel injection.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Jig assembled first/top picture. Note inner fenders and all bonding strips.

One piece front second/lower picture. No inner fenders. No bonding strips.
Just a historical note. This jig fitted front end was the first ever done in all reproduction parts. I delivered it to Ecklers probably 20 years ago and it was used in their catalog. Serial # 1. You will note the innerfender is a brighter slick color. That is because Image did not have the innerfenders ready yet, and I used one from Sermersheim. Since then I supplied Image with correct innerfenders for all years, and they have since offered correct ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 66 Front end repair after wreck?