C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Don't worry about the purists, they do their own thing. Like paying $200 for the correct wing nut for the air cleaner. I'm gladd it's their money ! You are making a good car even better. I'm sure you will enjoy the car and drive it more with the 5spd. I put a TKO 600 in my 64 along with a hot 454, it's WAY better than 327 4spd.
Look into the TKO kits also.
Thank you, Pop Chevy, for your supportive response. I appreciate the validation. I had wanted to inform NWM this am that I forgot to mention in my OP that I had also upgraded the p/b's to Willwood rotors & discs w/ 6 piston calipers, but I don't think he needs to feel any gladder, so I kept my mouth shut.

Pop, who makes the TKO 600? I am such a newbie, it hurts, but I am wanting to learn
I will definitely check them out.
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by 66TexVette; 11-20-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 66TexVette
Thank you, Phil, for your response. What company makes the RS 600?
Most of what you just said went over my head, but you what you're talking about, I'm sure. I am admittedly not very well versed in auto mechanics or technicals. Just love to drive 'em!

I will PM you later with my email for your chart, which I will probably need a tutor for. Thanks, again, for your help.
This is confusing because they were built by Keisler. Keisler went bankrupt and if I have my story straight, LGT (Legend Gear and Transmission) bought the stuff from Keisler.

Get in touch with LGT and they will set you straight... the RS and TKO transmissions were the Keisler numbers and I think legend has all of them but I'm sure they will clarify and let you know which version is best for your car.

I believe they are the only ones making a tranny that fits without cutting.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
This is confusing because they were built by Keisler. Keisler went bankrupt and if I have my story straight, LGT (Legend Gear and Transmission) bought the stuff from Keisler.

Get in touch with LGT and they will set you straight... the RS and TKO transmissions were the Keisler numbers and I think legend has all of them but I'm sure they will clarify and let you know which version is best for your car.vetteLT193

Thank you, vetteLT193, for your response.
Sounds good, Will do. Thanks for the historical info on the different trannys. The "not cutting" tranny maker is the one I must go with, as she is matching #'s. That is very important to me, even though some out there don't think I care.

Randy

Last edited by 66TexVette; 11-20-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jdk971
save the orig trans. that way it can always be put back. jim

Thanks, Jim, for your response. I definitely will save the M-22 tranny that came w/my '66, even though it was mfgtd in 1970. I am saving everything that came to me on the car for just that reason because she is matching #'ed, in case it becomes desirable to replace the upgrades by someone. I doubt I'll ever sale though.

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Another opinion...

I have a 67 that I have installed a 5 speed.

I went with American Powertrain and bought the TKO600 5 speed kit. Its a Tremec transmission that works extremely well for this application. The trans is rated for 600hp...hence TKO"600"...they also make a TKO500 for lower HP applications.

I also recommend HURST Driveline...they too sell the Tremec kits for our cars.

With your big block, I would recommend a TKO600. Talk to the guys at either of these above places and they will help you spend your money and spend your money effectively.

Also understand, there are two different overdrive (5th gear) options available. For example: I have the TKO600 with the .64 5th gear ratio. Essentially the 5th gear is a cruising gear and the engine lays down quietly to a 2200rpm range at 70mph. I have a 3:73 rear gear ratio. Again, the sales guys will talk you through all of this. I wish I would have gotten the .82 overdrive because the drop in ratio from 4th to 5th gear is too steep with the .64 for my liking.

NOTE: the transmission crossmember in your car is NOT removable (unless someone has modified it, which I doubt). This isn't a show stopper BUT the 5-speed is a larger trans than the Muncie 4 speed and it is a &itch to do the install. "They" say the install can be done with the engine in the car but from my experience, it is easier to pull the engine and install as a mated unit. (I have done two of these swaps)

Be ready to drop $4-5K on this adventure. You are looking at roughly $3000 for the trans and assoc kit components and if you have someone do the work, well, maybe another $1500 for labor? Not sure there...I do all my own work. These prices are somewhat guesstimates, but these projects are famous for "mission creep."

Anyway, the 5 speed mod is one of the best mods if you want drivability...

Cheers,

Frank
Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,689 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ricks327
Randy,
What tire sidewall are you inclined to install? Blackwall, whitewall, gold or red lines? If you are looking for a good radial with a gold or red line, I would suggest Diamond Back Tire, otherwise most other tires can be found at your local big name tire stores. I run Michelin X 215/70/15 redlines on my 67 and love them. Purchased from Diamond Back but they are pricey, I understand they are about $1100 today.
Rick
P.S. Welcome to the CF.
and here is more:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-tires.html

BTW, congrats and welcome aboard. I bought my dream corvette at age 59 and I enjoy the hell out of her. She turned 49 yesterday. I keep her the way I desire and dont give a damn about what she may be worth in the future. Enjoy em while you can
Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193

Get in touch with LGT and they will set you straight... the RS and TKO transmissions were the Keisler numbers and I think legend has all of them but I'm sure they will clarify and let you know which version is best for your car.

The TKO transmissions are Tremec tansmissions, and are sold by several distributors, as stated above. The RS-series transmissions were based on the Warner T-45 transmission, and were built by Keisler Engineering. KE went bankupt; I don't think LGT (or anybody) picked up the RS-series. I believe LGT designed and built the 700 trans and Keisler was the retailer. LGT now sells that trans. Silver Sport is another distributor to check into.

OLD GUYS RULE!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Randy,
I had one incident with rubbing when I made a fast entry to my driveway in order to empty a full bladder. I found no damage and couldn't locate where the rubbing was done.
Rick

Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

This happened to me once as well. I hit the curb at the end of the driveway while making a very sharp left hand turn into the driveway going way too fast. No damage.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Welcome! Can't wait to see photos! I applaud you for doing exactly what you want with the car you've waited so long for. Keep in mind that some people on the forum can sound derogatory, both intentionally and at times unintentionally, but by and large the group is supremely helpful and a whole lot of fun. The C1/C2 board is a community almost unto itself, I rarely look at any other side of the forum

Thank you, ChattanoogaJSB, for the sentiments in your response. I appreciate your support. When I got the first response to my post, I thought I was in for a real beat down from the forum, being a new kid in the neighborhood. Thankfully, so far, that one was the only negative response, with all the many others being helpful, understanding, and supportive of my "vision" for my long lost/never found girl.

I will remember your advice in filtering responses in the future here on the forum. I will post pics of her as soon as she comes home from the hospital and I give her a bath, should be in a week or two.

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Another opinion...

I have a 67 that I have installed a 5 speed.

I went with American Powertrain and bought the TKO600 5 speed kit. Its a Tremec transmission that works extremely well for this application. The trans is rated for 600hp...hence TKO"600"...they also make a TKO500 for lower HP applications.

I also recommend HURST Driveline...they too sell the Tremec kits for our cars.

With your big block, I would recommend a TKO600. Talk to the guys at either of these above places and they will help you spend your money and spend your money effectively.

Also understand, there are two different overdrive (5th gear) options available. For example: I have the TKO600 with the .64 5th gear ratio. Essentially the 5th gear is a cruising gear and the engine lays down quietly to a 2200rpm range at 70mph. I have a 3:73 rear gear ratio. Again, the sales guys will talk you through all of this. I wish I would have gotten the .82 overdrive because the drop in ratio from 4th to 5th gear is too steep with the .64 for my liking.

NOTE: the transmission crossmember in your car is NOT removable (unless someone has modified it, which I doubt). This isn't a show stopper BUT the 5-speed is a larger trans than the Muncie 4 speed and it is a &itch to do the install. "They" say the install can be done with the engine in the car but from my experience, it is easier to pull the engine and install as a mated unit. (I have done two of these swaps)

Be ready to drop $4-5K on this adventure. You are looking at roughly $3000 for the trans and assoc kit components and if you have someone do the work, well, maybe another $1500 for labor? Not sure there...I do all my own work. These prices are somewhat guesstimates, but these projects are famous for "mission creep."

Anyway, the 5 speed mod is one of the best mods if you want drivability...

Cheers,

Frank
Thank you, Frank (Crunch), for your very helpful response. Wow, so much great info to process! I have seen the TKO 600 discussed a little bit on the forum lately. I appreciate your recommendation. I will absolutely check this tranny out. Is American Powertrain & Hurst Driveline distributors of the TKO's?
A very large part of my final decision will hinge on a non invasive (no cutting, etc) mating to the engine. Call me ****, but she is a matching # after all, and this (no invading surgery) is my guiding, "mission statement" bottom line.

Your explanation of the different final gear ratios was enlightening to me. I had seen the different final ratios on tranny websites like LGT, but did not know how to process and compare them. You cleared that fog up for me as well, although I need to apply the difference in ratio drops to my 3.55 rear, but it looks like the .8's final ratios are preferable to the .6's. Could you tell me how my 3.55 would respond to those two final ratios in approximate RPM's at 70 MPH?

Your honesty regarding prices expecting to pay is also very helpful for me, as I begin to shop and compare all the recommendations so generously provided by the C2 bro's here on the forum. LGT, TKO, RS?

Thanks for your time with me on this thread, Frank.
PS, I also have a 9 yr old Yellow Lab that I love dearly. Greatest of friends for a man.

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by dahogan
and here is more:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-tires.html

BTW, congrats and welcome aboard. I bought my dream corvette at age 59 and I enjoy the hell out of her. She turned 49 yesterday. I keep her the way I desire and dont give a damn about what she may be worth in the future. Enjoy em while you can

Thank you, dahogan, for your welcome, and "old fa*t" understanding & advice.

BTW, I first saw your girl's pics on the C1/2 picture thread about a week ago. Wow, does she ever look hot in that silver dress!
Man, don't get me looking around for greener grass so soon! I just got hitched. But they are all sooo beautiful....

Randy
66TexVette
Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Randy,
I had one incident with rubbing when I made a fast entry to my driveway in order to empty a full bladder. I found no damage and couldn't locate where the rubbing was done.
Rick

Thanks, Rick, for the follow up on the rubber. It looks completely unscathed. No biggie, I guess, if it has only happened once. Operator error? Just kidding.

Rick, IYHO, do you think one gets noticeably better handling, cornering, grip, etc. with 215's over 205's? Not trying to "back out of this tire deal", but I am looking at possibly going to a 5 spd at the back end of an already extensive & expensive upgrade program.
Just trying to get the most bang for the last few bucks at this stage of the $ pit.

But she is just sooo pretty.... I can't seem to stop. Help!!!

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

This happened to me once as well. I hit the curb at the end of the driveway while making a very sharp left hand turn into the driveway going way too fast. No damage.
Thanks, dahogan, for your input on the rubber question I threw out there in my OP. I am sorry that happened to you as well as Rick, but am glad you did not scuff your pretty girl's shoes while dancing.

Sounds like this rubbing may occur only on sharp, driveway speed turns and very infrequently at that. Was this the only time they have ever rubbed or bounced on you? Are you running 215/70/15's as well as Rick does? Do you like the way they handle compared to 205's if you have had experience with the narrower tire?

Thanks again &
Randy

Last edited by 66TexVette; 11-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Randy,
I have no experience with 205 tire.
Rick
Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
The TKO transmissions are Tremec tansmissions, and are sold by several distributors, as stated above. The RS-series transmissions were based on the Warner T-45 transmission, and were built by Keisler Engineering. KE went bankupt; I don't think LGT (or anybody) picked up the RS-series. I believe LGT designed and built the 700 trans and Keisler was the retailer. LGT now sells that trans. Silver Sport is another distributor to check into.

OLD GUYS RULE!

Thanks, 160, for your response explaining the different tranny manufacturers and their histories. I want to find the best 5spd tranny that mates compatibly with my '66 BB 425, 3.55 rear end that requires no invasive surgery to install, and allows the use of my original chrome Muncie shifter, if such a package exists. Reason being, she is a matching # engine car with substantially original/factory correct repro'ed interior. I will check out TKO, & LGT, and hopefully something fits my requirements.

OLD GUYS RULE!

Us old f*rts gotta stick together!

Thanks again.

Randy 66TexVette
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Randy,
I have no experience with 205 tire.
Rick
Thx, Rick.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe

Old 11-20-2014, 11:36 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Testing. Just tried to post a picture of my '66 in the avatar.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

Randy,

Currently using 215/70/15 and have been for three years now. Only one rub, I just don't go over a bump during a very sharp and fast turn, otherwise I don't even think about it. I very much like the wider look over the 205/75 and I really didn't notice a difference in performance perhaps b/c I am more of a casual driver.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Randy,

Currently using 215/70/15 and have been for three years now. Only one rub, I just don't go over a bump during a very sharp and fast turn, otherwise I don't even think about it. I very much like the wider look over the 205/75 and I really didn't notice a difference in performance perhaps b/c I am more of a casual driver.

Thanks, dahogan, for your experiences w/the 215 & 205's.

BTW, on another note, if you are still listening, could you tell me how to get a picture of my car to post up on my avatar? I've got it saved in my profile. It shows her before my first test drive. She now has bolt on K-H repro KO's. Getting closer to looking as good as your girl, but still wouldn't want to follow yours in a beauty contest!

I can't seem to figure it out. Us old guys gotta stick together!
Thank you for your help.

Randy

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe