C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe

On my recently purchased '66, I just discovered it has what appears to be an M-22 trannny from Aug 19, 1970, while it has been in the shop. Housing case casting #(3925661), date code/ratio code stamp (P0H19C), shaft diam size all say M-22, short of opening it up and inspecting the actual gears. Anyway, not original matching tranny like the engine is.

I have upgraded/Borgeson the steering, moded the front/rear suspensions, new centerforce dual clutch, new MSD ignition, rebuilt original Holley 4bbl carb, rebuilt/balanced original drive & halfshafts, and new wheel bearings. I also had Vintage Air put in w/frontrunner system, along with new custom aluminum radiator w/dual fans. So, it obviously won't ever be a trailer queen, judged show car, but a very strong driver. Lots of $$, so why stop now?

All that blah, blah, being said, what brand/model 5 spd tranny would you guys suggest?
I want to keep the original chrome Muncie shifter in the car, as the interior is substantially original/factory correct repro'ed. She still has her original rear end, , a 3.55.

Also, what is the widest brand name rubber I can get for medium/high speed (50-90mph) aggressive handling/performance/safety on K-H repro KO bolt on's (currently holding 205? Coker Goldline radials) inside the original fender/wheel wells & on the road, without rubbing in turns or doing damage to fiberglass at slow street speeds? Fender flares NOT an option!
BTW, I'm real new to the forum. How do I insert a picture of my gal car into my empty Avatar? Wish I had some like Kermudgeon does!

Thanks, for your patience reading this, and your responses.
Randy T.
66TexVette

PS, I have yet to actually drive her, other than 2 test drives before purchase, and the drive from the transport drop off spot to the resto shop, where she has been the last few months. Almost done (for now, if ever?), itching to take her out dancing!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,942 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Why in the world would you ruin a correct car when there are fair more incorrect cars to do. And how do you know you need all that aftermarket add ons to enjoy the car. Without even driving the car. Gladd it's your money.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Randy, more than likely someone has already welcomed you to the Corvette Forum but if not...welcome. I expect you'll be hearing from a number of the members who've made the move to an overdrive manual trans. Post up some pics of your new acquisition when you get the chance and you should be able to find some helpful tips on posting pics and setting up a pic for your avatar in the stickies at the top of the Forum listings.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 11-19-2014, 10:41 PM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LGT 700. It is an all new trans. Not an old trans that has been rebuilt. I have one in my 66. Not cutting required. I love it. You will have to use their shifter but it is an exact copy of the original. I've worked with the manufacturer due to problems created by the specific distributor that I bought it from(no longer in business, BK) and the manufacturer was great to work with. They now have other distributors.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Randy, give Paul a call at 5speeds. about a legend 700 5 speed as mentioned above.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Why in the world would you ruin a correct car when there are fair more incorrect cars to do. And how do you know you need all that aftermarket add ons to enjoy the car. Without even driving the car. Gladd it's your money.
NWH,

I did drive this car on two occasions in two days over a variety of speeds and roads - in town, country, and interstate highway. It's manual steering handled like s**t, to put it nicely, and it's ride was rough, loose, and unpredictable. In fact, it was very dangerous to operate, especially coupled with all that power. Not enjoyable at all.
Everything else on the car was very attractive, especially the extremely strong running, matching # 425 engine. That is one reason I bought it. The other reason is explained below.

Everything that was done to the car can easily be removed and replaced with all the old parts that came with it, which are boxed & waiting by it's side, should a prospective buyer wish to have it in a more original state. I will be glad to dispose of all the offending upgrades elsewhere, especially if I will get a higher price from a purist such as yourself, interested in show awards versus someone wanting a really sweet, powerful, comfortable, and safe ride that still turns heads.

All my "sales" speak is really moot to me, as I am 62 years old now, and have been waiting for this girl ever since I first laid eyes on her twin sister 45 years ago in 1969, as a High School senior looking for his graduation present. Although never consummating my first car love, I never forgot about her over the decades of life. My intent is to dance slowly AND vigorously AND often with her in the few years I have left on this Earth, not to impress others at a show. We have a lot of catching up to do. I will be buried in this car if my heirs do not want it.

I hope this long explanation of mine helps you get your head around my actions, and sufficiently answers your primary question of WHY?

It gives me great pleasure to know that I have made you gladd!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Randy, more than likely someone has already welcomed you to the Corvette Forum but if not...welcome. I expect you'll be hearing from a number of the members who've made the move to an overdrive manual trans. Post up some pics of your new acquisition when you get the chance and you should be able to find some helpful tips on posting pics and setting up a pic for your avatar in the stickies at the top of the Forum listings.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Thanks, Mike, for the welcome and the input on where to look for instructions in posting an avatar pic. Hope to hear from supportive, constructive members to my questions in the future regarding my girl.

Randy
66TexVette
Old 11-20-2014, 12:25 AM
rwerth7
Racer

Ignore the posters who insist on getting up on the wrong side of the bed each morning and then letting everyone know it.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by rwerth7
LGT 700. It is an all new trans. Not an old trans that has been rebuilt. I have one in my 66. Not cutting required. I love it. You will have to use their shifter but it is an exact copy of the original. I've worked with the manufacturer due to problems created by the specific distributor that I bought it from(no longer in business, BK) and the manufacturer was great to work with. They now have other distributors.
Thank you, rwerth7, for your response. Do not want to do anything invasive to my car, so that "no cutting" sounds good to me. Wish my original shifter could be used, but if it is a really good exact copy...well ok, I guess. Who is the manufacturer and/or distributor now, and do they have website where I could have a look? I am a mechanical idiot, really - don't know squat about most things autom otive, but love to drive 'em & exercise 'em till they roar. Got my DL in 1966, plenty of experience in the left seat!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Randy, give Paul a call at 5speeds. about a legend 700 5 speed as mentioned above.
Thanks, Scott, for the constructive lead on the 5 spd tranny. Is 5speeds a company with a website that has contact info for Paul?

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Randy,
What tire sidewall are you inclined to install? Blackwall, whitewall, gold or red lines? If you are looking for a good radial with a gold or red line, I would suggest Diamond Back Tire, otherwise most other tires can be found at your local big name tire stores. I run Michelin X 215/70/15 redlines on my 67 and love them. Purchased from Diamond Back but they are pricey, I understand they are about $1100 today.
Rick
P.S. Welcome to the CF.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Ignore the posters who insist on getting up on the wrong side of the bed each morning and then letting everyone know it.
Thanks, rwerth7, for your support. I'm new to the Vette world and this forum, and just want to be a good neighbor.

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 AM
rwerth7
Racer

LGT stands for Legend Gear and Transmission. They have a web site legendgt.com which lists their distributors (currently at four).
Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ricks327
Randy,
What tire sidewall are you inclined to install? Blackwall, whitewall, gold or red lines? If you are looking for a good radial with a gold or red line, I would suggest Diamond Back Tire, otherwise most other tires can be found at your local big name tire stores. I run Michelin X 215/70/15 redlines on my 67 and love them. Purchased from Diamond Back but they are pricey, I understand they are about $1100 today.
Rick
P.S. Welcome to the CF.
Thanks, Rick, for your response and PS welcome. I have only seen her in gold line radial booties, so I am partial to that look against her Nassau Blue skin.

I will check out Diamondback and Michelin X's.
So, 215/70/15's won't rub the wells on slow full turns or bounce off bumps into fiberglass panels? Probably a stupid question since you just recommended them off your '67 to me. Just making sure.

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 12:59 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

LGT stands for Legend Gear and Transmission. They have a web site legendgt.com which lists their distributors (currently at four).
Thanks, rwerth.

This setup, LGT 700, would do well for a BB 425 with a 3.55 rear end IYHO?
I'll check out LGT tomorrow. It's late, I'm hitting the sack now.

Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 04:16 AM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default 5 speed

Hi Randy,

Regarding the 5 speed question - I put a RS400 in my 65' L79 and really like it but you would need a RS600 to handle the power of your car.

I have it connected to a 3:55 and found this a good combination all around.

When I was choosing a new tranny' and Rear End, I mapped the RPM vs MPH for each gear from 1000 to 3000 RPM - So basically you get a Saw Tooth chart from 0 MPH to 100 MPH -

Then I did the same for the 5 speed transmissions using this program and it allowed me to improve the low and high end performance

http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

Phil

PM your email address and I will send you the excel chart
Old 11-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Don't worry about the purists, they do their own thing. Like paying $200 for the correct wing nut for the air cleaner. I'm gladd it's their money ! You are making a good car even better. I'm sure you will enjoy the car and drive it more with the 5spd. I put a TKO 600 in my 64 along with a hot 454, it's WAY better than 327 4spd.
Look into the TKO kits also.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe

Old 11-20-2014, 10:43 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

save the orig trans. that way it can always be put back. jim
Old 11-20-2014, 11:12 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 856666
Hi Randy,

Regarding the 5 speed question - I put a RS400 in my 65' L79 and really like it but you would need a RS600 to handle the power of your car.

I have it connected to a 3:55 and found this a good combination all around.

When I was choosing a new tranny' and Rear End, I mapped the RPM vs MPH for each gear from 1000 to 3000 RPM - So basically you get a Saw Tooth chart from 0 MPH to 100 MPH -

Then I did the same for the 5 speed transmissions using this program and it allowed me to improve the low and high end performance

http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

Phil

PM your email address and I will send you the excel chart

Thank you, Phil, for your response. What company makes the RS 600?
Most of what you just said went over my head, but you what you're talking about, I'm sure. I am admittedly not very well versed in auto mechanics or technicals. Just love to drive 'em!

I will PM you later with my email for your chart, which I will probably need a tutor for. Thanks, again, for your help.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Welcome! Can't wait to see photos! I applaud you for doing exactly what you want with the car you've waited so long for. Keep in mind that some people on the forum can sound derogatory, both intentionally and at times unintentionally, but by and large the group is supremely helpful and a whole lot of fun. The C1/C2 board is a community almost unto itself, I rarely look at any other side of the forum

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new 5 spd on matching # '66 BB 425 Coupe