C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question about rust developing in gas tank.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:25 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Question about rust developing in gas tank.

Just installed a new gas tank. It looks like January here in MI now- freezing temps & snow. The classic car driving season is obviously done. Should i wait til spring to put gas into this new tank rather than have fuel sit in it for the next 3-4 months ?

What steps can be taken to inhibit rust from developing inside tanks ? Driving it regularly to avoid fuel becoming rotten, keeping the tank full and adding Stabil when its stored, what else ?

I've owned 3 C1's and 2 of those when I bought them- the inside of the tanks were completely covered in rust.

Thanks-
Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Kent in KC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a scientist, but if I had a brand new tank and I wasn't going to drive it till next spring, I'd leave it empty.

Next year, I'd follow the normal routine of filling it up, adding Stabil, and leaving things untouched until the following Spring.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan22
Just installed a new gas tank. It looks like January here in MI now- freezing temps & snow. The classic car driving season is obviously done. Should i wait til spring to put gas into this new tank rather than have fuel sit in it for the next 3-4 months ?

What steps can be taken to inhibit rust from developing inside tanks ? Driving it regularly to avoid fuel becoming rotten, keeping the tank full and adding Stabil when its stored, what else ?

I've owned 3 C1's and 2 of those when I bought them- the inside of the tanks were completely covered in rust.

Thanks-
Keeping moist air out of the tank should be your primary objective. Since its already in the car, that is best accomplished by keeping it full of fresh gas (that isn't contaminated with water, obviously!) and minimizing the air space. Stabil is a good idea if you're not going to drive it. 3 to 4 months is not too long to have gas sit.

It isn't the presence of petroleum products that will cause rust; it's the presence of water/water vapor.

Is the tank just plain steel, coated/galvanized , or stainless? Those are (were?) options for dealing with rust as well. If it's coated or stainless just leave it empty.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 11-20-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

My 67, with the original tank still in place, spent most of it's life in N.C and Georgia, It has been in Michigan since 2001 with various amounts of gas while in winter storage, with no additives, ie. Stabil, and there is no rust inside the tank.
Rick
Old 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
My 67, with the original tank still in place, spent most of it's life in N.C and Georgia, It has been in Michigan since 2001 with various amounts of gas while in winter storage, with no additives, ie. Stabil, and there is no rust inside the tank.
Rick
If you keep the car inside where there's no rapid temperature changes and add fresh gas occasionally, you will probably never see rust in the tank.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks-
I understand your paranoia and you will prob be fine using the cautions others have cited. Lord knows I'm no snake oil huckster but the new StaBil 360 protect claims, repeat CLAIMS, to address your issue. I have no idea how well it works, if at all:

Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

On the other hand, this is what happens if the car sits for 30 years with gas in the tank. It was in a dry environment in S. Cal.

Yes, that bin of rust came out of the tank! And there was plenty more in there.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
If you keep the car inside where there's no rapid temperature changes and add fresh gas occasionally, you will probably never see rust in the tank.
Rapid temperature changes? In Michigan? Nah, never happens.
I agree, if the car doesn't given driven where gas is not added regularly, you will have problems. I put my car away in a snowbirds garage last week and it won't come out until mid to late April, which I have done for a number of years, with no issues.
Rick
Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gas tank storage

Thanks-
This subject has come up from time to time. There have been differences of opinion that seem to never be resolved. However, ethanol blended gasoline is known to be a strong solvent that also is hydroscopic, meaning it has an ability to absorb water vapor from the air. If enough water vapor is absorbed, it will degrade at a more rapid rate than non ethanol blended gasoline. There is a general consensus to either fill the tank and treat with a fuel stabilizer, or drain the tank so that all components are not exposed to the ethanol blend for several months. Know that fuel stabilizer does have a period of effectiveness, and ethanol blended gasoline that is exposed to atmospheric moisture will degrade and lose octane. I am not a fan of leaving ethanol blended gasoline in a vehicle that may sit for a long period of time, so as to avoid possible corrosion of carbureted components and or non ethanol compatible hoses. Do your homework and make an informed decision, I say drain and dry. Refill with fresh when you are ready to ride. Best...
Old 11-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I understand your paranoia and you will prob be fine using the cautions others have cited. Lord knows I'm no snake oil huckster but the new StaBil 360 protect claims, repeat CLAIMS, to address your issue. I have no idea how well it works, if at all:

Send me 20 bucks a month and I will tell you there's no rust in the tank and tell you something else to worry about that's more important
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Keeping moist air out of the tank should be your primary objective. Since its already in the car, that is best accomplished by keeping it full of fresh gas (that isn't contaminated with water, obviously!) and minimizing the air space. Stabil is a good idea if you're not going to drive it. 3 to 4 months is not too long to have gas sit.

It isn't the presence of petroleum products that will cause rust; it's the presence of water/water vapor.

Is the tank just plain steel, coated/galvanized , or stainless? Those are (were?) options for dealing with rust as well. If it's coated or stainless just leave it empty.

I have a cottage in distant New York state and keep a '93 Camry there for my June to Sept visits. Winters it is stored in an unheated metal equipment barn; before I store it in Sept, I fill the car with gas and use a "green ****" battery switch to disconnect the battery. I've been doing that for about 10 years and I haven't had a problem with bad gas or clogged fuel injectors, it starts right up the next June.

Last edited by waynec; 11-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gas

Originally Posted by waynec
I have a cottage in distant New York state and keep a '93 Camry there for my June to Sept visits. Winters it is stored in an unheated metal equipment barn; before I store it in Sept, I fill the car with gas and use a "green ****" battery switch to disconnect the battery. I've been doing that for about 10 years and I haven't had a problem with bad gas or clogged fuel injectors, it starts right up the next June.
It is a 1993 Camry.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
It is a 1993 Camry.
Whats the difference its still a intenal combustion engine
Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gas

If there is currently no gas in the tank, why would you want to put any in? After we restored the frame on the 66, one of the first things we installed was a new gas tank. We did not put gas in the car until we were ready to start the motor. The tank sat on the frame for over a year empty. The old(original) tank although rust covered on the bottom, was clean inside, and did not leak. With everything else new on the chassis, the old tank did not look right, and I was not going to try to refinish it. It is in the box the new one came in, and is with all of the other replaced parts from the reconstruction.
Just for the sake of safety, if there was ever a fire. Again I ask, why would you want to fill it up and leave it?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm a victim here. I became an expert on tank rust. Unfortunately.

That's the original sending unit float from my '58. Keep in mind that no one makes a replacement gas tank that fits properly and we have a real issue here. Gas tank rust is a really bad thing.

I've switched to non-ethanol gas and I drive the car at least once a month to use up the old gas.

When it comes to storage of your car most people are in deep trouble. Here's an article I wrote recently about storing your collection.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 11-21-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: images
Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Send me 20 bucks a month and I will tell you there's no rust in the tank and tell you something else to worry about that's more important
Hey NM - that's my gig
Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here's the inside of the gas tank on my car that's had nothing but E10 since the mid 90s. It gets stored in an unheated garage over the long canajun winters. It's never seen a drop of any additive.

Anybody see any rust?

Get notified of new replies

To Question about rust developing in gas tank.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Gads - I feel like a proctologist after seeing that pic. There is a little something going on in the bottom far right. I extend, once again, the offer of my bargain-priced email "wellness check" service if you decide that you need additives...
Old 11-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Gads - I feel like a proctologist after seeing that pic. There is a little something going on in the bottom far right. I extend, once again, the offer of my bargain-priced email "wellness check" service if you decide that you need additives...
I saw the same thing as you. After getting over the initial shock, concocting multiple conspiracy theories to blame others and finally exploring every possible 'what if' scenario to explain the sky falling, I discovered that the aberration was simply a few grains of sand that had fallen in, most likely when removing the cap to take pictures of the contents.

If I were to avail myself of your kind services, it would be for you to issue me with reminders to stop taking off the cap so often.

I think MikeM has a similar philosophy towards keeping the hood shut. This apparently reduces engine problems tremendously.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:49 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Rick
Along the same lines, that has also been my experience with my '64 in the 42 years I've had it. Original tank, no stabil, low fuel level while stored, etc. .. No rust.

Quick Reply: Question about rust developing in gas tank.