C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 AM
fastfrank06
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injection

I was reading in the Corvette Forum "History of the Corvette",,it states that Fuel injection was available on the 396 in 1965,,,where can I buy one ???
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

You won't find one because they never put FI on the 396 from the factory in 65. Small block only.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,527 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by fastfrank06
I was reading in the Corvette Forum "History of the Corvette",,it states that Fuel injection was available on the 396 in 1965,,,where can I buy one ???
Well, that's just wrong. 396 engines were carbureted.

Where is this "History of the Corvette"? I'm not finding it. Can you post a link to it?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Well, that's just wrong. 396 engines were carbureted.

Where is this "History of the Corvette"? I'm not finding it. Can you post a link to it?

Ditto!

Now, with all of that said, in Ken Kayser's book on the development fuel injection, he does mention (with a couple of pictures) that there was a FI unit developed for the 396----------------BUT IT WAS NEVER PUT INTO PRODUCTION (it was strictly a prototype development)! And, until I read that information in Ken's book, I was never aware that even a prototype or experimental FI unit had been built for the BB.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Ditto!

Now, with all of that said, in Ken Kayser's book on the development fuel injection, he does mention (with a couple of pictures) that there was a FI unit developed for the 396----------------BUT IT WAS NEVER PUT INTO PRODUCTION (it was strictly a prototype development)! And, until I read that information in Ken's book, I was never aware that even a prototype or experimental FI unit had been built for the BB.
Wow! How cool is that? Any photos of it in Ken's book?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:01 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by fastfrank06
Fast,
if you could by some chance buy one, it would be on eBay.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Wow! How cool is that? Any photos of it in Ken's book?
Yep, pgs 441-442, but unfortunately, almost no details.
And not really surprisingly, there was apparently a prototype made for the 409 engine. I know nothing about that one, but apparently someone has, or did have, it on a 409 in a streetrod. I've only seen a couple of pictures of it when it appeared at car shows.

A few people here may (or may not) know that 57-58 Pontiacs also had FI, at least ONE 57 Olds got a prototype FI (pictures in Ken's book), and for many years there has been talk of five 57 Cadillacs built with FI (also confirmed in Ken's book) which was brought to light MANY years ago by Mike Hunt (now deceased as the result of a motorcycle accident). UNFORTUNATELY, none of the FI Cads are known to exist nor are there any known pictures of the Cad FI units. The FI Ponts are scarce today (they were scarce then, 600 in 57, 400 in 58) and very scarce today. The Pont FI units are a bitch to work on and NONE of the FI guys around the country want to touch them.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 11-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Yep, pgs 441-442, but unfortunately, almost no details.
And not really surprisingly, there was apparently a prototype made for the 409 engine. I know nothing about that one, but apparently someone has, or did have, it on a 409 in a streetrod. I've only seen a couple of pictures of it when it appeared ad car shows.
I can fill in some of the blanks here because I rebuilt that unit earlier this year.

It is a garden variety 1963 "7375" FI unit. The venturi cone has been hogged out for more air flow and the Cranking Signal Valve has been replaced with a '64-'65-style starting fuel bypass mechanism. Both of these modifications were made by the owner, not RP.

To adapt it to the 409, the owner milled an adapter plate out of aluminum. This plate sits on a cut-down carburetor manifold and the FI unit attaches to the plate.

A few people here may (or may not) know that 57-58 Pontiacs also had FI, at least ONE 57 Olds got a prototype FI (pictures in Ken's book), and for many years there has been talk of five 57 Cadillacs built with FI (also confirmed in Ken's book) which was brought to light MANY years ago by Mike Hunt (now deceased as the result of a motorcycle accident). UNFORTUNATELY, none of the FI Cads are known to exist nor are there any known pictures of the Cad FI units.
There is at least one existing '57 Chevrolet FI unit running around with a Cadillac air meter on it. The air meter has a unique casting number which links its origin to the Cadillac development program. The finish machining on the air meter was done to satisfy Chevrolet FI requirements.
The FI Ponts are scarce today (they were scarce then, 600 in 57, 400 in 58) and very scarce today. The Pont FI units are a bitch to work on and NONE of the FI guys around the country want to touch them.
I would be reluctant to take one on. Just calibrating the air/fuel mixture would be a significant project.

Oddly, there is a '58 Pontiac FI unit on the auction site even as we type.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 11-21-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 PM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I can fill in some of the blanks here because I rebuilt that unit earlier this year.

It is a garden variety 1963 "7375" FI unit. The venturi cone has been hogged out for more air flow and the Cranking Signal Valve has been replaced with a '64-'65-style starting fuel bypass mechanism. Both of these modifications were made by the owner, not RP.

To adapt it to the 409, the owner milled an adapter plate out of aluminum. This plate sits on a cut-down carburetor manifold and the FI unit attaches to the plate.

There is at least one existing '57 Chevrolet FI unit running around with a Cadillac air meter on it. The air meter has a unique casting number which links its origin to the Cadillac development program. The finish machining on the air meter was done to satisfy Chevrolet FI requirements.

I would be reluctant to take one on. Just calibrating the air/fuel mixture would be a significant project.

Oddly, there is a '58 Pontiac FI unit on the auction site even as we type.

Jim
Gm built a few experimental FI's for the 348/409 that was built by Marvel Schebler. Unlike the Rochester it was a timed injection with a combination rotary fuel pump/fuel disrtibutor and individual injectors for each cylinder port. It was driven by a chain off the cam and a special cast aluminum housing was spaced between the water pump and the block. I have pics on my other computer,
A similar unit was designed for Chrysler in 57.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldskydog
Gm built a few experimental FI's for the 348/409 that was built by Marvel Schebler. Unlike the Rochester it was a timed injection with a combination rotary fuel pump/fuel disrtibutor and individual injectors for each cylinder port. It was driven by a chain off the cam and a special cast aluminum housing was spaced between the water pump and the block. I have pics on my other computer,
A similar unit was designed for Chrysler in 57.
This is a Borg-Warner FI unit which fits your description. Is this what you are thinking of:

Old 11-22-2014, 12:36 AM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a Borg-Warner FI unit which fits your description. Is this what you are thinking of:

Yep, that's it. Marvel Schebler was part of BW.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injection

Quick Reply: Fuel injection