C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hurst Shifter

I have most of the interior apart in my 63. When I removed the console, I noticed that there were two bolts in the Hurst shifter handle, but there weren't any nuts attached two them. I assume that this is not correct. Also, what is the trick to removing the wiper switch?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is no trick to removing the wiper switch in a '63. I just replaced mine. There should be a flat spot on the **** where a small straight-headed screw keeps it secure - just unscrew that and remove the ****.

Then you have to take needle nose pliers or straight hemostats and turn the nut on the front using its two slots and just unscrew it. Disconnect the electrical connector at rear of switch and you're done.

I have the Hurst Competition shifter as well but haven't had it apart yet so no help there.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-21-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know if this will help but here's a picture of the shifter on the four speed on my 62.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 AM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ren
I have most of the interior apart in my 63. When I removed the console, I noticed that there were two bolts in the Hurst shifter handle, but there weren't any nuts attached two them. I assume that this is not correct. Also, what is the trick to removing the wiper switch?
I just looked at mine, 66 muncie with hurst shifter. The top of the shifter, where the handle attaches are threaded. The two bolts go through the handle and into the threaded top of the shifter. No nuts reguired. I don't know if it's different on a borg warner. Hope this helps.
Al
Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Ren - Some Hurst shifters, like yours, had the removable/replaceable handle with the two bolts. Look on the opposite side of the shifter and you should see the small tapped plate that those bolts are threaded into.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Ren - Some Hurst shifters, like yours, had the removable/replaceable handle with the two bolts. Look on the opposite side of the shifter and you should see the small tapped plate that those bolts are threaded into.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
The Hurst on my '66 Chevy II was just as described by Mike above. That end plate has threads on it that the shift handle bolts tighten up on. I drag race the car so I replaced those shift handle bolts with longer, grade 8 bolts, still used that threaded end plate and then installed nuts that tighten against the end plate to act as lock nuts. For street use I don't think that would be necessary.

Thomas
Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BB767
The Hurst on my '66 Chevy II was just as described by Mike above. That end plate has threads on it that the shift handle bolts tighten up on. I drag race the car so I replaced those shift handle bolts with longer, grade 8 bolts, still used that threaded end plate and then installed nuts that tighten against the end plate to act as lock nuts. For street use I don't think that would be necessary.

Thomas
Thank you!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 PM
partsguy54
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ren,
You have a very old shifter. They all come with removable sticks now.
It can be rebuilt by Hurst and changed to a removable stick. I had mine done and bought a stock looking stick. Shifts great and looks stock.
Here is the link to the Hurst rebuilding service.
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/shifter-rebuild-program/

Happy Motoring

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst Shifter

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter