C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

compression fitting on oil pressure gage

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default compression fitting on oil pressure gage

Hello, I'm putting my restored dash panel back into dash. I can't seem to get the line torqued to get a seal on the oil line. I'm at the point of taking the panel back out and try to get it compressed out of the car. Is it possible that I will need a new oil pressure gauge? My car is a 1966 327/300
Thank you,
Al
Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by APV
Hello, I'm putting my restored dash panel back into dash. I can't seem to get the line torqued to get a seal on the oil line. I'm at the point of taking the panel back out and try to get it compressed out of the car. Is it possible that I will need a new oil pressure gauge? My car is a 1966 327/300
Thank you,
Al
The oil line should be a (copper) plated steel line. The end fitting to the gage is special and not an ordinary compression fitting. I think LICS and Paragon (and probably others) sell this connection.

Pictures and discussion etc. should be in the archives if you check.

Larry
Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Oil line fitting

If your oil line fitting does not look like the fitting on this oil line,

You will never get it to seal. Chevrolet used their own design fittings. Like powershift said, they are available from many forum vendors. Make sure you hold the square fitting on the gauge with a wrench when you tighten the hex fitting on the line.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 11-21-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by Powershift
The oil line should be a (copper) plated steel line. The end fitting to the gage is special and not an ordinary compression fitting. I think LICS and Paragon (and probably others) sell this connection.

Pictures and discussion etc. should be in the archives if you check.

Larry
Thank you for advice Larry, I read all the threads about the pressure line. I had already purchased a copper replacement line. Well, you scared me into ordering the Paragon steel/copper plated line. What end should I hook up first, Gauge or block. I getting real good at taking out and installing the gauge panel. Thank you,
Al
Old 11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by rongold
If your oil line fitting does not look like the fitting on this oil line,

You will never get it to seal. Chevrolet used their own design fittings. Like powershift said, they are available from many forum vendors.

RON
The copper line that I tried to use has the correct fittings but I could not get it to compress on the gauge end. I have now ordered the steel/ copper line from Paragon as suggested by Larry.
Thank you Ron,
Al
Old 11-21-2014, 03:03 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Oil Line

Originally Posted by APV
Thank you for advice Larry, I read all the threads about the pressure line. I had already purchased a copper replacement line. Well, you scared me into ordering the Paragon steel/copper plated line. Al

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have the copper line that installed 10 years ago. Is there a functional reason I should change to the copper plated steel line?

Randy
Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 66RBS
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have the copper line that installed 10 years ago. Is there a functional reason I should change to the copper plated steel line?

Randy
The copper line can "work-harden" with vibration and eventually fatigue-fracture; that's why GM didn't use it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The copper line can "work-harden" with vibration and eventually fatigue-fracture; that's why GM didn't use it.
I (NCRS) judged a 1966 this weekend that had a poly or nylon small diameter oil line. I told the owner that this was an accident waiting to happen: either oil loss to the engine or a oily mess inside the cabin when it finally breaks.

Not certain that he heard me.

Larry
Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
I (NCRS) judged a 1966 this weekend that had a poly or nylon small diameter oil line. I told the owner that this was an accident waiting to happen: either oil loss to the engine or a oily mess inside the cabin when it finally breaks.

Not certain that he heard me.

Larry
Some additional info attached.
Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mid-Year Oil Line Fittings.pdf (336.2 KB, 355 views)
The following users liked this post:
Physio (01-18-2019)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Several years ago, I was working around my oil line and broke the tubing at the fitting to the block. I was in a pinch to get my car back on the road and I found this fitting at my local Napa Auto Parts store. It slightly different from the original but it worked until I could get a new line and fittings from Paragon.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...0X2_0080518851
Old 11-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will someone kindly tell me how to get the nut off the oil line at the gauge? It can't be reached with a flare nut wrench - or any other wrench - because of the angle. There isn't enough room to hold the square nut on the gauge while attempting to turn the oil line nut, and try as I might, I can't get the nut to budge with needle-nose ViseGrips.

Anyone know a trick that will work?
Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 AM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Needle nose won't do.

Originally Posted by Robert Lewis
Will someone kindly tell me how to get the nut off the oil line at the gauge? It can't be reached with a flare nut wrench - or any other wrench - because of the angle. There isn't enough room to hold the square nut on the gauge while attempting to turn the oil line nut, and try as I might, I can't get the nut to budge with needle-nose ViseGrips.

Use a small open end wrench- hopefully you have not rounded off the nut. It is certainly a pain to work on this while dash is in place, but can be done. Have cushion for your back and good light that will not blind you. Turn the wrench the correct way in small increments, have patience and take a break if you get flustered. Be prepared for the possibility of an oil drip that may zero in on your eye...have a clean rag at the ready. Good luck, hope it works. Best...
1960 (02-20-2024)
Old 11-22-2014, 10:43 AM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert Lewis

I took my dash out 6 months ago. As I remember it is very difficult to do this while dash is in. I did not have a 5/16 flare wrench. I have since ordered a 5/16 flare wrench and I will probably put a bend in it to allow it slide on brass nut/fitting to get square in the recess. If I have to I will also bend the wrench for the square nut. I tried this with the gauge panel pulled out on 1/4" 5" long bolts and had no success. I finally pulled the dash out and put it on the bench. I will also install the new oil line while on the bench when it gets here. My situation was different because I installed new harnesses. I've had the gauge panel out three times now and I've improved due to learning curve. If you pull it out I would disconnect the tach cable at the distributor and loosen Cable to speedometer in engine bay on the firewall. This gives you a little slack to disconnect and reconnect both cables. I stalled panel back in and it's not that hard. I did the top half from above and the bottom half from underneath. Use cushion from old chair to pad your back and neck. Use 1/4" coarse thread 5-6" inches long to keep panel out a ways. Also remove the steering column. Clearly mark the shaft and the rag joint to install it back exactly in same position. Loosen band at the fire wall and clamp holding spring on shaft holding bearing in shaft.Tape spring to shaft loosen nut and set screw in rag joint. Disconnect column at dash and gently pull column out. Also disconnect all wire plugs on column. I may have missed something but you will see anything holding onto the column. I thought I could do this with the column in but no way. Don't smoke cigars while under dash or you will get an eye full of ashes. If you decide to do this PM me with any questions. I thought it would be a difficult job and I'm 66 years old. I've had to do much more difficult jobs on this car.
Hope this helps.
Al
Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

While your oil pressure gauge is out being restored .... What do you use to cap the oil line so that you can still start and run your car without squirting your face with oil ?

Ray
Old 11-22-2014, 03:05 PM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
While your oil pressure gauge is out being restored .... What do you use to cap the oil line so that you can still start and run your car without squirting your face with oil ?

Ray
I would plug it in the block. Not sure of the size but someone should know.
You may have to take off the throttle rod at the firewall and possibly the spark plug/ stainless bracket. This should give you enough room to remove and install fittings. Hope this helps.
Al
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DZVette
Some additional info attached.
Dave Z
That's why I ordered my copper lined steel replacement. Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by APV
I would plug it in the block. Not sure of the size but someone should know.
The hole in the block is 1/8" NPT.
1960 (02-20-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To compression fitting on oil pressure gage

Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Default Oil line

Originally Posted by APV
Thank you,
Al
Just a good point to know. The compression fitting that slides on to the oil line must go at least 1/8th " past the end of the cut. It is not always easy to do this, sometimes you must lightly sand and taper the line so the compression fitting will slide into position. When this fitting is tightened it will compress on the line and seal it. Once used in this manner it cannot be reused. If the oil line is not well seated into the body of the gauge (where it must be sited before the compression fitting is tightened) and the compression fitting does not seal on the oil line well behind (at least 1/8") the cut end, you will either have a loose oil line or a leak. The photos above, so kindly posted by other members, give a clear idea. Unfortunately clearances vary from different manufacturers and some compression fittings do not easily slip over lines. Best...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
Just a good point to know. The compression fitting that slides on to the oil line must go at least 1/8th " past the end of the cut. It is not always easy to do this, sometimes you must lightly sand and taper the line so the compression fitting will slide into position. When this fitting is tightened it will compress on the line and seal it. Once used in this manner it cannot be reused. If the oil line is not well seated into the body of the gauge (where it must be sited before the compression fitting is tightened) and the compression fitting does not seal on the oil line well behind (at least 1/8") the cut end, you will either have a loose oil line or a leak. The photos above, so kindly posted by other members, give a clear idea. Unfortunately clearances vary from different manufacturers and some compression fittings do not easily slip over lines. Best...
Does this mean the oil line should be tapered so it enters the hole in the gauge fitting beyond the tapered bottom of the gauge fitting and slightly into the hole. The lightly sanding of the line allows the line to go farther into the hole? Also you said once this is done it can't be remove and reused? So the gauge connection should be done first and then threaded through firewall and block connection done last?
Thank you,
Al
I looked at the gauge fitting with lights on. I think my question was dumb! The line bottoms out in the bottom of the fitting where it is chamfered / beveled. I can see where rounding the end with sandpaper would let it fit better and more contoured to the bottom of the fitting. I don't know if it will protrude 1/8" from Line fitting.
Thank you,
Al

Last edited by APV; 11-24-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Originally Posted by APV
Does this mean the oil line should be tapered so it enters the hole in the gauge fitting beyond the tapered bottom of the gauge fitting and slightly into the hole. The lightly sanding of the line allows the line to go farther into the hole? Also you said once this is done it can't be remove and reused? So the gauge connection should be done first and then threaded through firewall and block connection done last?
Thank you,
Al
I looked at the gauge fitting with lights on. I think my question was dumb! The line bottoms out in the bottom of the fitting where it is chamfered / beveled. I can see where rounding the end with sandpaper would let it fit better and more contoured to the bottom of the fitting. I don't know if it will protrude 1/8" from Line fitting.
Thank you,
Al
Sorry I could not respond sooner to your post.
Al, You do want the end of the oil line to protrude just past the compression fitting. When you tighten up the nut the compression fitting will close up tight where it sits on the line.
If the fitting does not slide snugly onto the oil line, then you may have to lightly Emery cloth the oil line to enable the fitting to slide into position. And yes, I would do gauge side first and check for a secure fit before block side. Be sure to install block side compression fitting the same way, once you have tightened these fittings that is where they will stay. If you make a mistake and you have enough line, you can cut it and use new fittings. However, a new cut will make it very difficult to slide on new fittings. Good luck with your project, I would like to know how you do. Best...
1960 (02-20-2024)

Quick Reply: compression fitting on oil pressure gage