C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie shifter problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Muncie shifter problems

My '57 has a Muncie 4 speed transmission that was rebuilt a few years ago. I purchased a new stock shifter and shifter rods. I installed it using the gauge block and for several years it worked fine.
Occasionally, when stopped at a light it does not want to shift into first. I usually have to shift it into one of the other gears (with the clutch in) before I can shift it into first.
Do I need to readjust the linkage or is there some way to lubricate the linkage?
This only happens occasionally but it is a bit aggravating. Other than that, the transmission works OK.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:51 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have a prob shifting into first while stopped it is likely the clutch not fully dis engaging . Take out a little free play and see if it is better .

Bill
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I won't speculate what your problem is but I don't believe it to be a shifter problem.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shifting

Originally Posted by abdo
My '57 has a Muncie 4 speed transmission that was rebuilt a few years ago. I purchased a new stock shifter and shifter rods. I installed it using the gauge block and for several years it worked fine.
Occasionally, when stopped at a light it does not want to shift into first. I usually have to shift it into one of the other gears (with the clutch in) before I can shift it into first.
Do I need to readjust the linkage or is there some way to lubricate the linkage?
This only happens occasionally but it is a bit aggravating. Other than that, the transmission works OK.
Look for the easiest solutions first. Start with linkage, proper adjustment is first step. Examine all components for wear, such as round holes where rods attach that are now oval shaped resulting in excess play. It is possible your shifter may need attention, age use and lack of lubrication may cause gradual wear = difficult shifting. Good luck. Best...
Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It's a tight synchro ring on first gear. Try downshifting to first as you are approaching a stop, to facilitate breaking in of the blocking ring to the gear cone.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a Muncie tranny and shifter, and it's essential that all the plates in your shifter are aligned FIRST before you align the linkage to the tranny. Being slightly off can cause exactly what you are experiencing.
I would first check this by putting the tranny in neutral and remove all the linkage. Make sure your levers are fully engaged after the linage is off. Then with the shifter in neutral, ensure that all the plates are aligned by sticking a metal rod through the alignment hole in the shifter. I just happen to have a stick welding rod that fit and I could bend to check the alignment.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The car is in winter storage now so I can look at the linkage and the clutch adjustments.
SupremeDeluxe: I will remember to try your tip this next spring when I take it out for the first drive. The transmission does not have many miles since a rebuild by a reputable shop. I know it did not cause me any problems when I first used it. Only have I experienced it recently.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

BTW...make sure none of the bolts on your tranny have come lose and your tranny has moved causing linkage alignment issues.

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 11-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by abdo
T

SupremeDeluxe: I will remember to try your tip this next spring when I take it out for the first drive. The transmission does not have many miles since a rebuild by a reputable shop. I know it did not cause me any problems when I first used it. Only have I experienced it recently.
This method will probably work for you.

If you're stopped and the transmission will go into second gear but not first, I don't see how you have linkage problem. I'd believe it to be a synchronizer issue that may clear itself with miles.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I had a linkage problem going from 1st to second (just the opposite). It felt like there was something blocking the shifter moving into that position and it had nothing to do with the synchro. It's a lot easier to first check the linkage then ripping your transmission apart.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You might check the side cover to see if there are any issues with your interlock system that is preventing it from going into first. At first blush, I wonder if you aren't missing or have a broken clutch key (one of three) on your first gear synchro unit. That will always manifest itself in a non shift into a gear.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie shifter problems

Quick Reply: Muncie shifter problems