C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

$20k for a repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

location, location, location as realtors say. been said but the prep is what cost the money and painting can be done and look great and win awards with self painting or maaco as has been proven. my take is if you like the shop, can afford it, and it will get you the look/quality you seek then go for it. good luck and enjoy the ride when done.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by mspry
I am doing my own paint job with a friend who has 30 years experience with FG cars. I will be doing all the sanding - removal and installing all parts and my estimate is about 1600 for paint and 600 for materials. I know that sounds cheap but that's my game plan. Virginia Vettes is chroming the bumpers at 200 each. So for a little over 3000 grand I think its a bargain. The dude up the street who has a vette resto shop wants 12 grand and no crack fixing. If you can strip the car of all chrome and you are willing to get dirty and sand it you will save a considerable amount of money. 65 air coupe - Love the look of no front bumpers. Looks mean!
Thanks, that's the way I bought it nearly 40 years ago and left it that way ever since. I did gather up all the parts over the years in case I wanted to put them back on but still like it as it is. Your experience and cost in painting is very similar mine.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Well, in Noo Yawk (home of the ten-dollar hamburger), I guess $20K isn't out of line for a repaint quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
I don't know about NY, but here in So Cal, $20K is a bit much, especially if you are not changing the color.

I paid $14K for a complete media-strip, body work for both repairs and customization, and a different colored, two-tone paint job with every body panel sanded to perfection. IIRC it took like over 3 months to do. This did not include the removal and replacement of the stuff that bolts on the body and chassis. The paint shop was given a fiberglass shell on a chassis.

The stripes and body were masked and done separately so there is no "line" when you run your finger over the stripes. They have the same number of coats and the stripes are not "over" the body color. Also, the stripes run over the cowl vent area and this is very difficult to do well.

Every time I see a picture of your car, I drool. Incredibly beautiful car. What is the name of the color?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Well, in Noo Yawk (home of the ten-dollar hamburger), I guess $20K isn't out of line for a repaint quote
$10?!?!? where the heck can you get a burger that cheap!!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:44 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Every time I see a picture of your car, I drool. Incredibly beautiful car. What is the name of the color?
Paint is PPG from the Ferrari catalog. Body is Titanio Grigio Metallic and stripe is Canna De Fucile Metallic.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:26 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Any Car, Any Color

Only

$19,950.00

No ups - No extras

Wheels and jambs included
Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

see how expensive it is to operate a body shop in Noo yawk plus the cost of help and the 53% of the state that dont work . trust me I am not getting rich painting corvettes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

The best burger place I know in the SF Bay Area, Godfather's Burger Lounge in Belmont, has prices from $12.40 (simple cheeseburger) to $15.65 (crab cake burger). Hate to think what they'd charge to repaint my '67.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LouieM
The best burger place I know in the SF Bay Area, Godfather's Burger Lounge in Belmont, has prices from $12.40 (simple cheeseburger) to $15.65 (crab cake burger). Hate to think what they'd charge to repaint my '67.
I had my 63 painted a few years ago. It was difficult to find someone that was willing to do it. After about 6 months , I found someone that had experience with fiberglass and was willing to paint the car. His estimate was 13k and he said it would take 6 months to do the car. It ended up costing me over 24K (including parts) and it took 19 months to do the car. In his defense , the car was worse than he thought. The finished product is very nice, but in my opinion it wasn't worth it. This a--hole took what should have been an enjoyable experience and turned it into a nightmare.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,434 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by z06scentair
This car will be driven

Always, always, always gelcoat old corvette's if you want a job that will last.
NEVER EVER GEL Coat - No Corvette was ever gel coated - Gel Coat is for boats
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,434 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Most all over paint repaints are going to run 7500 to 15000
there are alot of factors
How much repair work needs to be done
What is the substrate like
How many paint layers are on it
How are the prior repairs -( this is the ugly one )
What quality materials are being used -
Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by csherman
NEVER EVER GEL Coat - No Corvette was ever gel coated - Gel Coat is for boats
Ok you must like to do things twice....

I'm telling you from having 5 mid-year cars painted, Guarantee the OP's quote included GC!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:54 AM
66TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't know about NY, but here in So Cal, $20K is a bit much, especially if you are not changing the color.

I paid $14K for a complete media-strip, body work for both repairs and customization, and a different colored, two-tone paint job with every body panel sanded to perfection. IIRC it took like over 3 months to do. This did not include the removal and replacement of the stuff that bolts on the body and chassis. The paint shop was given a fiberglass shell on a chassis.

The stripes and body were masked and done separately so there is no "line" when you run your finger over the stripes. They have the same number of coats and the stripes are not "over" the body color. Also, the stripes run over the cowl vent area and this is very difficult to do well.

Damn, todalin , your car is soooo HOT!
I'm in lust.
Please stop posting her in our faces!
Makes my girl look like a ...., well, I can't say it out loud. Might get back to my new bride!
Let's just say I would not want to follow you in a beauty contest.
Can't believe you got that for $14K! Where do I sign up for one of those when I pull the trigger on a new make up job?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad I can do most of the paint/body work myself. If I had to pay $10-20K for a paint job I'd have to find another hobby. I might have $3500 in mine.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

..........and a house call for a plumber is $300 I'm told!

Hamburgers here are about $2.50 and a paint job might run around $7K. $7K if the shop owner didn't think he had a nit picker for a customer.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:02 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Posting from NYC right now. Only interns pay $10 for a burger because everyone tells them that what it is. Some of the best burger joints around here are little dives. One place in particular it costs $5 for a cheese burger deluxe (burger, fries, soda, pickle); place is Homestead on the side street of 41st and Madison.

Think that's true also for paint. If the biggest factor is labor rate, I would imagine you have to really put in some time to find those little shops that do great work for a decent rate. Forgeddabout NY or NJ, try PA.

Get notified of new replies

To $20k for a repaint?

Old 11-24-2014, 12:05 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
..........and a house call for a plumber is $300 I'm told!

Hamburgers here are about $2.50 and a paint job might run around $7K. $7K if the shop owner didn't think he had a nit picker for a customer.
What they do is charge you a lot to "check out" the situation, which they then tell you can be applied towards the actual work. By then, the homeowner is already screwed so they go ahead with the work.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:06 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

That is an amazing looking car.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Posting from NYC right now. Only interns pay $10 for a burger because everyone tells them that what it is. Some of the best burger joints around here are little dives. One place in particular it costs $5 for a cheese burger deluxe (burger, fries, soda, pickle); place is Homestead on the side street of 41st and Madison.

Think that's true also for paint. If the biggest factor is labor rate, I would imagine you have to really put in some time to find those little shops that do great work for a decent rate. Forgeddabout NY or NJ, try PA.
shake shack is the best place by me, and they're pushing 10 bucks per burger on some of their burgers ....

I did find cheaper places (but most are still around $15k), but I've also lived through horror stories in the past going with someone I didn't know. This guy has a very good rep, I've seen his work on midyears, and he's been around for ages. So, I'm pretty sure I'm willing to pay a $5k "tax" on not having to worry about a crappy job, shop damaging/losing my trim, etc.

even shake shack used to sell $5 burgers, until everyone learned they were great.

Quick Reply: $20k for a repaint?