C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

$20k for a repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Default $20k for a repaint?

Went down to a local body shop last week for a quote on a full repaint (same color) on my '67 vert. Body is in good shape, some of the chrome needs to be done, some prepping on the body as well.

The guy I went to has a stellar rep, and I've seen his work on mid years, all top notch. He also does work for my dad (my dad owns a shop, and they refer a lot of work his way), so he's not an unknown. And he's highly recommended by some of the local vette guys.

He's quoted me $20k... This doesn't sound outrageous to me (I live in ny, I never get sticker shock for anything), but wanted a double check on this.

I've shopped around a little at some shops I don't know, and while $20k is the highest quote I've gotten, it's not by much... Lowest I've gotten was $10k, and I've gotten a few in the $15k mark.

Thoughts? Is this an insane price?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

that precisely matches up with a local top notch shop here in LA area.
Not surprised at that price for NY and CAL. Go somewhere in between the two extreme ends of the country and I bet the price drops some.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG2

The guy I went to has a stellar rep, And he's highly recommended by some of the local vette guys.

He's quoted me $20k...

Thoughts? Is this an insane price?
Sounds like you answered your own question.

Then again I never recommend any painter. Just when we think we have a good one, there is that one car that has to be painted four times before it turns into the 10k job it initially cost!

That does not seem unreasonable for a HIGH Quality process.

Last edited by z06scentair; 11-22-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Contact Paulywannafly on this site. I've seen Paul's work and it is very good. And I could be wrong but I don't think it would run nearly that high. My brother did mine here in NY. He has one of the largest shops in the state and does very high end cars but I don't know if he would want to do another vette after doing mine and his 58.

Don

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 11-23-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Link to commercial site of NSV removed
Old 11-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

One question you may want to ask yourself. Are you gonna drive the car or make it a trailer queen?
If you spend 20k on a paint job I'm betting it's not going to get driven much. My .02
Old 11-23-2014, 12:08 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
One question you may want to ask yourself. Are you gonna drive the car or make it a trailer queen?
If you spend 20k on a paint job I'm betting it's not going to get driven much. My .02
Oh, this car will be driven. A $20k paint job isn't going to stop me from driving. ... Why would it?
Old 11-23-2014, 12:24 AM
revupL78
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Tim Mickey , Mickey's Car Barn also I believe a C-1 Judge quoted me $25k for repaint on my 65. That was about 7-8 years ago. I haven't been near a body shop since. I'll let the next owner handle new paint
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Is this a body off, paint the frame, type of repaint?
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Oh, this car will be driven. A $20k paint job isn't going to stop me from driving. ... Why would it?
Then sir, you have my admiration (and probably a lot more $ ) so more power to you!
I, on the other hand, would probably not be able to enjoy driving my car as much or as often knowing that any second that 20k paint job could take a hit from some overloaded gravel truck.

Gary
Old 11-23-2014, 01:50 AM
KSL '67 101234
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Think of a paint job in terms of material and labor cost, and profit. Let's assume materials cost $3k. That leaves $17k for labor and profit. Assume profit is 15%, or $3k (20 x .15). Profit goes to keeps the lights on, buy equipment, and provide the owner an incentive to stay in business. That results in a labor cost of $14k. Now assume the work takes a man-month of 176 hours. That works out to $80/hr.

Compare that rate to other professional rates and make an assessment whether the rate is too high. If so, by how much? You can adjust any of these variables and determine whether the cost of one or all the cost components seem reasonable or excessive. Breaking the cost down into pieces helps you appreciate where your money is going. A shop owner proud of his work should not take issue with breaking out his costs. When you pay more, you should demand, expect, and get more for your money.

My '67 cost over $20k to paint according to the shop that performed a frame-off restoration. I bought the car restored, and it was and continues to be the paint job that accentuates this car.

Lastly, the cost of labor does not discriminate when it comes to painting a Vette or a Volkswagen. I have nothing against VWs. However, I'd feel better putting $20k into a Vette's paint job than into a VW's. I think prospective Vette owners know a good paint job when they see one and at some point down the road when or if you sell the car the paint job's quality will be a selling feature.

Last edited by KSL '67 101234; 11-23-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,048 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If they are taking the car all apart and stripping the paint, doing body work and paint and putting it back together, the price is good. If it is a repaint with sanding the original paint and taping the trim and paint, it is $13,000 to much. I have had many show winning cars painted in PA. for $4,000 to $8,000 The shop is paying some kid $9.00 per hr. to do most of the work. High price does not make high and lasting quality. My 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
gjhinc (09-26-2018)
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Those are crazy numbers in my book! I'd never spend 20 grand on a paint job...for any car. Hell, I wouldn't spend 10 grand! I'd paint it myself before I did that...wait, I did just that!

I painted it in my garage the first time in 1978 with Amerflint polyurethane and that lasted nearly 30 years and won a few trophies along the way. I had it painted this last time in BC/CC and should have done it myself but only paid $3.5k for that job so shouldn't complain. I did all the prep myself and really just paid the painter for the paint and the booth time to spray it. Still looks better the my first job and I don't worry about using it daily.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:15 AM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing my own paint job with a friend who has 30 years experience with FG cars. I will be doing all the sanding - removal and installing all parts and my estimate is about 1600 for paint and 600 for materials. I know that sounds cheap but that's my game plan. Virginia Vettes is chroming the bumpers at 200 each. So for a little over 3000 grand I think its a bargain. The dude up the street who has a vette resto shop wants 12 grand and no crack fixing. If you can strip the car of all chrome and you are willing to get dirty and sand it you will save a considerable amount of money. 65 air coupe - Love the look of no front bumpers. Looks mean!

Last edited by mspry; 11-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Paint jobs and run between $3,500 to $20,000 depending on the quality and level of prep.

If you have the time and skill set to do it yourself than you can do it for $3,500 if you pay someone to do it than the price goes up from there.

I delivered a bare 65 no body work required to a local paint shop in JAX FL in 2008 and the paint job cost me $8,000.

Fast forward to today I have another 65 I'm having painted that needs some type of body work in about a dozen places from stress cracks to rear light panel replacement that is 90% bare glass. The body shop in JAX quoted $15K, a local shop here in North AL quoted $15-$20K.

The car is currently in the shop locally and based on where we are at in the project and what I have spent so far the final price should come in at $12-$15K (I'm hoping). Shop labor rate is $60 per hr.

I told myself when I started this project I was going to paint it myself but time got in the way and it became obvious I was not going to find the extra time to devote to it while working a full time job.

If you are looking for a mow and a blow than $20K is way out of line but if the shop is going to take the car down to bare glass fix any problem areas than that price is not out of line.

Some day in the future I will retire and on my bucket list is to paint a car and not pay $20K.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:56 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Huh.. Thanks for all the replies... I've gotten everything from "hel! Yeah that's too much" to "that sounds about right."

I'm going to look around more out here, but like I said the dirt cheapest quote I've gotten was $10k, and this is for a shop that I don't know and was the result of a google search, not a recommendation. Most quotes I'm getting are in the $15k range.

Anyway, I have some time ... The $20k guy is booked until the end of the summer.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are trying to keep the cost down while keeping quality up do as much of the grunt work that you can before sending the car to the shop. But I don't mean body work or priming. I had mine completely disassembled and media blasted before I took it to my brothers shop (J&B Body works in Mount Vernon NY) for paint . The old "Corvette Specialty Center" in Walden NY (this is where I met Paulywannafly when he worked there) sent me to a guy in Wallkill NY that they used for stripping. I think I paid them $300 and got the car back in raw fiberglass inside and out with a 3 day turn around. The shop had my car for 7 months with a guy working on it nearly every day. The material bill for everything used from sanding discs, polyester fill, primer and BC/CC ran about $4K. Typical labor rate here in NYS runs between $68-$90 per hour.

I have often found that the cost for a paint job can run from mild to wild depending in what part of the country you're in. In the NYC area body shops have so many license and permit cost plus rent or realty expenses that effect the cost. In my area every auto repair shop has to pay an annual permit fee for every lift located in their shop. There is also an annual fee for every air compressor. No spray booth no permit. All Body shops must have a contract with a licensed hazmat recovery company to recycle all used paint and thinner. Then you must be a register shop with the state. Without these (and I'm sure I have left out a few others ) you do not get a Certificate of Occupancy to operate a body shop.

Still in light of all the above I think you can get the $20K down if you are willing to do some of the grunt work. I have no use for garage or trailer queens. After all the time and money spent I will drive mine until the wheels fall off and then do it all over again.

Don
Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

ust when we think we have a good one, there is that one car that has to be painted four times before it turns into the 10k job it initially cost!
That would be me lol

Good on you for wanting to drive it anyway
I dont get going to all the trouble and expense to make a car the way you want it then saying 'ooh I better not drive it"
At the end of the day its just a car and lifes short

Please send untouched supermodel wives this way

Get notified of new replies

To $20k for a repaint?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
That would be me lol

Good on you for wanting to drive it anyway
I dont get going to all the trouble and expense to make a car the way you want it then saying 'ooh I better not drive it"
At the end of the day its just a car and lifes short

Please send untouched supermodel wives this way
This car will be driven

It is a 67 chevelle hands down the best on the planet, nut and bolt restoration that has been in the family for 25 years.

The restoration process has taken 12 years so far, two powdercoated frames, two motors, and the fifth paint job with three different painters. (If it can go wrong it did)

Forgot to mention the Sikkens paint, base and clear totaled $2200 each time It was sprayed.

People amaze me when talking about paint jobs, paint is the easy part. The time that goes into the prepping will yeild the end results of any paint job.

Always, always, always gelcoat old corvette's if you want a job that will last.

Last edited by z06scentair; 11-23-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Anyway, I have some time ... The $20k guy is booked until the end of the summer.
That has to tell you something.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z06scentair
That has to tell you something.
Yes... annoying that I'd have to wait a year, yet telling. several of the other guys were ready to jump, the $10k guy was ready to start tomorrow. guess you pay AND wait for quality.

Anyway, the feeling I'm getting is that $20k isn't outrageous.

Now.. how much should I expect to spend on new seat covers and carpets?

Quick Reply: $20k for a repaint?