C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Motor vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:50 AM
santosh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor vibrations

I find a slightly motor vibration interference, means vibration is comming an going sinusoidal (some seconds). Could this be a valve lash problem? Do anyone have informations how to adjust the valve lash? Never did this before.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Are you sure that the vibration is in the engine? I had an annoying vibration last year - it became apparent @ 1500 rpm's, and was very noticeable @ 2,000 rpm's and above. It turned out to be a bad fan clutch assembley! Good luck.

Tom
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I think you are going to have to be a lot more specific in describing the vibration issues to get som good suggestions. Are you sure it's engine and not drivetrain or tire related. For instance is it specific to a certain engine rpm or range. Does it occur in each gear? Does it change when driving in that rpm range and dropping off the throttle and pushing in the clutch? Can you feel it reving the motor in neutral?

I would doubt it's specific to valve lash unless there are some other factors involved like a flat cam lobe or bent push rod. A couple fairly easy troubleshooting tests (in addition to the above) are: if it vibrates in neutral while reving, try pulling the fan belt to isolate all the accessories and see if that changes anything. If so then look at the pulleys and accessory bearings. Crawl underneath and grab the driveshaft right behind the transmission yoke and see if it has any side to side play in it. Worn transmisssion rear bushings often cause vibration.

But try to make sure it is engine related and not drivetrain or wheel related.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor vibrations

Quick Reply: Motor vibrations