C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 1st NCRS Event Results

Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Default My 1st NCRS Event Results

Let me start by encouraging everyone that has thought about going to one of these events to definitely go, if not to show your car to at least go and see how it's done.

I want give a big thanks to all the folks that put on great event. A special to all the judges.

As said the weather was not on our side, cold and rainy (now I won't be able to say "never been in the rain" any more) but that didn't hold the judges back, man they were all over the cars even underneath in the wet grass.

All the judges and a lot of others were very complimentary on my car, she was the only big block on the field. She did every thing perfectly, fired right up and idled for all the time they needed, everything work the first time, A/C power windows, lighter..you name it and she stepped right up.

If I remember (will check the judging sheets when I get them) I think the exterior got almost a perfect score, the interior got knocked down for just a few things, wrong flasher and turn signal relays, couple wrong screws and I think that was about it. However did get hit with the leather seats, originally they were vinyl but I'm ok with that.

Mechanically did well also, ARA and his co judge were very thorough and took all the time I wanted to explain everything to me. The big negative was the engine pad ( I know thats a big one but I know it's the right motor but it is what it is), wrong pulley, clutch fan, radiator, alternator, a few minor other items. Man those guys know there stuff

I think it did very well on the chassis etc. Got knocked a little for things like a little rust on nuts and bolt etc.

I think everyone was pretty surprised when I told them that it was an almost 30 year old restoration and I drive the car. May have been a little to much for a few of the most senior NCRS guys when I said that my next goal with the car is to get into the 11s at the strip

One of the things I got a pretty good knock for was my radial tires, I know the rules about bias tires but IMHO if they are trying to promote safety and driving/enjoying your car, no matter what I'm driving with the best tires I can get. I would say that if you have radials that appear to be consistent with factory look (and mine are) not only should it be no deduct, should be an add like the battery cut off and fire extinguisher.

So when it came time for the awards I was a little surprised as were most of the judges that I ended up 5 point shy of a blue ribbon.

Had a good time meeting other Corvette nuts, glad I went...been there done that.

Now for that 11.xx pass
Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Sounds like you had a good learning experience, and were able to take something away from the meet, are you going to try again, and get a couple of extra points?

Second Flight isn't bad, you might have been able to top flight with some driving points, consider a farther away meet next time.

Now go find some $300 original screws
Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Thought you guys might like this. Top Flight and the other one 27 years apart.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Van
Let me start by encouraging everyone that has thought about going to one of these events to definitely go, if not to show your car to at least go and see how it's done.

I want give a big thanks to all the folks that put on great event. A special to all the judges.

As said the weather was not on our side, cold and rainy (now I won't be able to say "never been in the rain" any more) but that didn't hold the judges back, man they were all over the cars even underneath in the wet grass.

All the judges and a lot of others were very complimentary on my car, she was the only big block on the field. She did every thing perfectly, fired right up and idled for all the time they needed, everything work the first time, A/C power windows, lighter..you name it and she stepped right up.

If I remember (will check the judging sheets when I get them) I think the exterior got almost a perfect score, the interior got knocked down for just a few things, wrong flasher and turn signal relays, couple wrong screws and I think that was about it. However did get hit with the leather seats, originally they were vinyl but I'm ok with that.

Mechanically did well also, ARA and his co judge were very thorough and took all the time I wanted to explain everything to me. The big negative was the engine pad ( I know thats a big one but I know it's the right motor but it is what it is), wrong pulley, clutch fan, radiator, alternator, a few minor other items. Man those guys know there stuff

I think it did very well on the chassis etc. Got knocked a little for things like a little rust on nuts and bolt etc.

I think everyone was pretty surprised when I told them that it was an almost 30 year old restoration and I drive the car. May have been a little to much for a few of the most senior NCRS guys when I said that my next goal with the car is to get into the 11s at the strip

One of the things I got a pretty good knock for was my radial tires, I know the rules about bias tires but IMHO if they are trying to promote safety and driving/enjoying your car, no matter what I'm driving with the best tires I can get. I would say that if you have radials that appear to be consistent with factory look (and mine are) not only should it be no deduct, should be an add like the battery cut off and fire extinguisher.

So when it came time for the awards I was a little surprised as were most of the judges that I ended up 5 point shy of a blue ribbon.

Had a good time meeting other Corvette nuts, glad I went...been there done that.

Now for that 11.xx pass
I want to thank you for bringing your car out to the show. You have a wonderful car. I wish more owners had your approach and attitude - trust me. The weather stunk, but I promise you it will be better at the Lakeland Regional (wink, wink - you should bring your car to the regional). It's indoor and you will have a ball. Thanks for the privilege in judging your car. Love the fact that you drive the wheels off it. Beautiful car, and hope to see you and your car again soon...Call or email with any questions you have with your judging sheets once you get them. ARA. nyrfan@bellsouth.net or 561-445-0232....
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats, I have had my '62 judged twice, an incredible learning experience and a lot of fun.
I also really enjoy the judging schools at the regional and national events, some of the most knowledgeable Corvette experts in the world giving classes on real cars, how can you beat that if you want to learn about these great old cars!

Paul
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 AM
denneys69
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool story, congratulations...I agree with you on the tires. Now looking forward to your posting that first time slip.
Dennis
Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Now for that 11.xx pass
Congratulations, Van!! In your earlier post, prior to your going to the meet, it was fairly evident that you would do well...you have an outstanding car. You state that you missed top flight by 5 points...5 points out of 4500 or 5% points from 94%? Having Ara and the others on your '67 was a blessing. Ara did my interior at the Lone Star Regional...he really knows the '67 well and enjoys sharing his vast knowlege with fellow enthusiasts. Again, job well done
Old 11-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How about three point seat belts, air bags, ABS, traction control, disk brakes for pre-65 cars, side impact beams etc etc. Where does it end? The margin of safety between radial and bias ply tires is negligible. The appropriate repro tires gets a deduct than can be offset by a few driving points.

I'm glad you enjoyed the judging experience, not much point doing it if it's not fun.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

May have been a little to much for a few of the most senior NCRS guys when I said that my next goal with the car is to get into the 11s at the strip

Now for that 11.xx pass
How many abulances were onsite?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by z06scentair
How many abulances were onsite?
I thought I saw this one 'round back....could be wrong.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought I saw this one 'round back....could be wrong.

Nitro Glycerin pills were flying eh
Old 11-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Nitro Glycerin pills were flying eh
Nope, I spray

Get notified of new replies

To My 1st NCRS Event Results

Search this Thread