C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ok you found who has the original from your car-- whatever that may be!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:54 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Ok you found who has the original from your car-- whatever that may be!

How about negotiation technigues, trade strategies, etc. To build our C1/C2 cars, I am sure there have been some good stories on acquisitions etc..

I will start! Both extremes!

In 2007, I put offers to buy cars sitting around in various neighborhoods. I tried to get a C2 Big Block car and made two passes at it. The last was my 1968 C3 running and with good parts F-41 etc. and cash to paint offered. It didn't even open up a conversation. No response back.
I was at a Swap Meet and had to beat this guy up practically to get him to stop bothering me, to buy my car! No wasn't good enough! I think I heard every attempt known to mankind to try to convince me, that he should own my car and not me!

Therefore how much some stories and strategies and conquests, acquisition approaches or finds, stories etc.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-25-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I restored my 66 back in the early 90s in my 2-car garage, in my driveway, in my backyard, in every spare area of the house that wasn't also filled with parts. The neighbors and passer byers all got a good view of me tearing down the car, stripping paint, sandblasting the frame/parts in the driveway, priming, and spraying lacquer color. The kicker was the day I was sandblasting a few parts in the driveway and a couple guys stopped and asked if I was interested in selling it. I'm sure I was kind of tired and it took a minute for their question to register as I stood up and surveyed the mess of dissassembled parts, bare frame, stripped body on a dolly, etc. I think I said something like - Are you crazy, I'm not even sure I can find all the parts. You guys must be really desperate for something to do. They apparently thought the better of it too and left.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default The primary senario would be

The search for your original engine and the guy that has it knows why you are knocking on his door. first you never know how the approach is going to go! what would be a fair offer? Should the guy finding out that you have the car that matches the engine, is it proper ettiquette to expect a sell! Was i rude approaching someones project that did not have a for sale displayed? Etc. Should we take a class on reading body language to see how close to a possible deal we are? I even have my planned swap meet look and tragedy on how much i put in the wallet for negotiation, even thou I am usually carry more! I even will send someone by to ask the price and then I wait 5 minutes and clear the wallet of everything more than I am willing to offer! I will then open the wallet, count it and an empty wallet with a know amount usually is impressionable. I know the old timers won't fall for it, then many have done the deals!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Nitrous 74
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I are on the receiving end of this all the time with one of our non-corvette cars. We show a 69 SuperBee in as found barn find condition. It runs and drives, and we have replaced all the safety items but that's about it. We are constantly asked how much? and then frequently insulted with "everything is for sale". In 4 years of showing I think I've heard that at least 50 times.

Now on the other side..

A few years back I actually had a good lead on an engine that I thought was numbers matching to one of my projects. I just told the guy I'm looking for a specific engine number for that reason, and asked if he has it would he consider selling for a bit more that it would be worth otherwise. He said yes, we looked at countless engines he had on his property (some inside, some not) but I never found the one I was looking for

Last edited by Nitrous 74; 11-25-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

People are strange... when you're a stranger...

I have 1966 194376s112869 engine in my 67 194377s111130 67 Convertible...

IF the guy with the 66 every came a knocking, I'd certainly sell to him for the price of a comparable motor (and installation costs) for my car. Its not winning the lottery, its helping a corvette brother out.

Maybe you start by offering to buy the car... if that doesn't work, offer to buy him a new crate motor (with warranty) and have it installed. If it doesn't work out, just say, "Well, I am at least going to put you on my Christmas card list, so that if you ever change your mind, you can get a hold of me".

Then send him reminders of your offer a couple times a year.... with a nice fruit basket.

Last edited by Revfan; 11-26-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Interesting because

Originally Posted by Revfan
People are strange... when you're a stranger...

I have 1966 194376s112869 engine in my 67 194377s111130 67 Convertible...

IF the guy with the 66 every came a knocking, I'd certainly sell to him for the price of a comparable motor (and installation costs) for my car. Its not winning the lottery, its helping a corvette brother out.

Maybe you start by offering to buy the car... if that doesn't work, offer to buy him a new crate motor (with warranty) and have it installed. If it doesn't work out, just say, "Well, I am at least going to put you on my Christmas card list, so that if you ever change your mind, you can get a hold of me".

Then send him reminders of your offer a couple times a year.... with a nice fruit basket.
My initial thought was to offer a crate motor, but then I thought that would be too generous if it was just a block. Now if it was a running/installed engine, alot harder and a crate with install won't be enough! I would think a kick would be needed!

I don't do Christmas cards, but that is a very good idea for a non-threatening way of hinting at your interest to do a deal.

On the fruit basket, don't you send those to people that aren't on your favorites list, or was that fruit cakes?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I get the same

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I restored my 66 back in the early 90s in my 2-car garage, in my driveway, in my backyard, in every spare area of the house that wasn't also filled with parts. The neighbors and passer byers all got a good view of me tearing down the car, stripping paint, sandblasting the frame/parts in the driveway, priming, and spraying lacquer color. The kicker was the day I was sandblasting a few parts in the driveway and a couple guys stopped and asked if I was interested in selling it. I'm sure I was kind of tired and it took a minute for their question to register as I stood up and surveyed the mess of dissassembled parts, bare frame, stripped body on a dolly, etc. I think I said something like - Are you crazy, I'm not even sure I can find all the parts. You guys must be really desperate for something to do. They apparently thought the better of it too and left.
Actually almost a pain in the A$$ sometimes to even open the garage to get air, because here comes the lookie-loo, or the guy that wants to talk your ear off, or what you had with someone that claims that they want a project, and they rudely think you should sell them yours at an insulting price.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Ya

Originally Posted by Nitrous 74
My wife and I are on the receiving end of this all the time with one of our non-corvette cars. We show a 69 SuperBee in as found barn find condition. It runs and drives, and we have replaced all the safety items but that's about it. We are constantly asked how much? and then frequently insulted with "everything is for sale". In 4 years of showing I think I've heard that at least 50 times.

Now on the other side..

A few years back I actually had a good lead on an engine that I thought was numbers matching to one of my projects. I just told the guy I'm looking for a specific engine number for that reason, and asked if he has it would he consider selling for a bit more that it would be worth otherwise. He said yes, we looked at countless engines he had on his property (some inside, some not) but I never found the one I was looking for
My cars are a little raggety! I get that-- "can i buy it" all of the time also! Not having shiny perfect paint is like having a chum slick for sharks!

On the engine shopping, I assume if he let you look- that everything is technically possibly for sale!

PS On your Bee- if you have the lift off hood? Has anyone tried to suggest how you should get that fixed?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-26-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok you found who has the original from your car-- whatever that may be!

Quick Reply: Ok you found who has the original from your car-- whatever that may be!