C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cluster, Wiring Harness Install Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster, Wiring Harness Install Lessons Learned

This is long and if I've violated some forum rule, sorry. But, if anyone is interested, here are some lessons learned from my recently completed removal and restoration of my gauge cluster and installation of LectricLimited dash and engine harnesses, wiper motor restoration, MSD dist and box install, etc. on my 66 BB.

I have only moderate skill and experience levels and consider most of this tedious, but doable and not a PITA. When I was done and she fired up instantly, I literally praised God and fought back the pride and boastfulness.

1. This forum was vital and special thanks to JohnZ, Avispa, and Climbabout and others for quickly and throughly responding to my questions.
2. Doc Rebuild's wiring diagrams were nearly as vital.
3. Some of you guys are superhuman. Despite postings saying this or that took "an hour," except for reinstalling wiper motor, I was unable to complete anything of significance in just one hour. Murphy was with me all the way.
4. LectricLimited's harnesses were just okay. Same complaints as others of you (e.g., short wires, loose bulb holders) and a couple more. If I had to do all over again, I'd ignore originality and combine the LL with a Ron Francis, Painless, or similar modern product and make a hybrid. (I wouldn't bother with M&H either.)
5. As I saw here, I tested all bulbs and attached new dash harness to cluster BEFORE installing in car. That's they way to go, but for me the cluster install was still very difficult overall. BTW, for my car anyway, the fuse block would not have just "dropped" over Z-bar if pedal assembly was still installed. If I were only servicing cluster in the future, I'd be tempted to buy a spare dash harness too (subject to #4, above).
6. 1/4 x 20 bolts for cluster are vital.
7. By reading forum, I "pre-creeped" the job and refinished steering column, pedal assembly, added insulation and some sound deadener, wiper motor, speaker grill, etc. I do not like ZIP's insulation at all (way too "fuzzy") so I only installed about 3/4 of it and just quit. But, I do like their ABS plastic covered insulation though.
8. D&M restoration of cluster is beautiful and fully functional. Recommend.
9. Corvette Specialties of MD, West restored wiper motor true to original factory finish and is fully functional. Recommend.
10. Despite taking many photos BEFORE I began, I didn't take nearly enough, e.g., because LL wires are exactly the length of originals, you really need to rout exactly as originals. Get photos from forum ahead of time and fill in gaps with your own.
11. Because it often robs a little length, some of my attempts to "tidy up" with wire ties or extra harness tape just wouldn't work.
12. Like photos, take plenty of notes, especially the sequencing of disassembly so you can reverse it exactly as needed. If you think "Oh, I'll remember that," warning bells should go off. Because of other obligations, Murphy, waiting for new parts, having stuff restored, etc, the whole process took me two months. I simply didn't remember some simple, but important stuff. Print out forum threads and fill in blanks with your own info.
13. I've owned the car for 27 years and in both the engine and dash harnesses, I found an amazing number of melted wires, melted connections, bubba splices, professional splices, wicked soldering making essentially a single strand wire, etc. all done before me. Why the car was running and hadn't caught fire, I don't know.
14. Where did all these lights come from? Amazing! Among other things, even after 27 years, I literally did not now know I should have had a warning that the headlights weren't rotated open.

Cheers
Glenn
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Your experience is fairly typical IMO - except for the LL harness gripes....I really haven't heard a lot of those... And, you were exactly right to tackle those other jobs while you had access. My cluster pull turned into a steering column rebuild, broken clutch pedal repair, parking brake handle replacement, fresh air vent restoration, etc., etc.. You done good!!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Your experience is fairly typical IMO - except for the LL harness gripes....I really haven't heard a lot of those... And, you were exactly right to tackle those other jobs while you had access. My cluster pull turned into a steering column rebuild, broken clutch pedal repair, parking brake handle replacement, fresh air vent restoration, etc., etc.. You done good!!
Thanks and, oh yeah I forgot, I did the fresh air vent too.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Dash

You forgot to post a recommendation to set up an appointment with your chiropractor for an adjustment once the dash install is complete. Jerry
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by gschlarman
Thanks and, oh yeah I forgot, I did the fresh air vent too.
I have to go in and do the vents for the defrost and heat .
after a ride this weekend it was cold and the air and heat were not real strong ,need to wrap the vents with AC foil .
Can I do this from the glove box? I am not taken out the cluster.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I was referring to the kick panel fresh air vents - yes you can restore them without taking the cluster out. It consists of replacing the worn rubber sandwiched (riveted actually) between two metal plates. There are repro kits for this and you'll rediscover old, and create new, expletives during the process of restoration....
Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rtruman
I have to go in and do the vents for the defrost and heat .
after a ride this weekend it was cold and the air and heat were not real strong ,need to wrap the vents with AC foil .
Can I do this from the glove box? I am not taken out the cluster.
Not sure precisely to which vents you refer or what car (mine c2 without a/c) For defrost, there is just the center vent and yes you can get to it from glove box and removing drivers side radio access panel. For heat, same thing while I guess also removing passenger radio access panel. Fresh air vents are both accessible right at the vents themselves.

Also for cold air blowing through, check for missing firewall grommets. Some you can access. Others maybe not.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:33 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by gschlarman
Not sure precisely to which vents you refer or what car (mine c2 without a/c) For defrost, there is just the center vent and yes you can get to it from glove box and removing drivers side radio access panel. For heat, same thing while I guess also removing passenger radio access panel. Fresh air vents are both accessible right at the vents themselves.

Also for cold air blowing through, check for missing firewall grommets. Some you can access. Others maybe not.
Thanks that's exactly what I have to do.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
59 navy
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Rewiring starts Monday.

Glenn I start wiring the complete car (59) on Monday. Good information on your thread. Thanks 58 navy
Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 59 navy
Glenn I start wiring the complete car (59) on Monday. Good information on your thread. Thanks 58 navy
Seriously? In between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Not married, are you?

Get notified of new replies

To Cluster, Wiring Harness Install Lessons Learned

Quick Reply: Cluster, Wiring Harness Install Lessons Learned