C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Split Window advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:09 PM
k8atu
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1963 Split Window advice please

Hi there,

I have been asked to sell a car for a friends mother, whose husband recently passed. I'm an old Porsches guy, and need some guidance on this beauty of a car, namely where to go and have it inspected thoroughly, as well as get a sensible valuation.

1963 Corvette Split window coupe, silver, ONE OWNER from new, matching numbers, all receipts, immaculate condition inside and out.

The car and I are located in the SF Bay Area, and would like your collective advice on where I might be able to take the car to a trustworthy soul locally for this request.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Kemal
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2014, 04:26 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by k8atu
Hi there,

I have been asked to sell a car for a friends mother, whose husband recently passed. I'm an old Porsches guy, and need some guidance on this beauty of a car, namely where to go and have it inspected thoroughly, as well as get a sensible valuation.

1963 Corvette Split window coupe, silver, ONE OWNER from new, matching numbers, all receipts, immaculate condition inside and out.

The car and I are located in the SF Bay Area, and would like your collective advice on where I might be able to take the car to a trustworthy soul locally for this request.

Many thanks in advance for your advice. 90,000 to 125,000

Kemal
Look at this web sitehttp://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/market-trends
Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

There should be others along shortly from your area that could help. Looks real nice.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

How about a pic of the engine compartment and underneath if you can swing it, pix if the VIN and trim plate under the glove box door.

Manual or auto?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
'66BarnFind
Instructor

Wow, my whole day just got WRECKED! I see four pages before this thread is done. 90K would be grand theft auto. 125K not so much, more like petty larceny.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:11 PM
k8atu
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Zoomin
How about a pic of the engine compartment and underneath if you can swing it, pix if the VIN and trim plate under the glove box door.

Manual or auto?
I will get all the above info after Thanksgiving
Old 11-26-2014, 05:15 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Does the sell include "The Club" as well?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
'66BarnFind
Instructor

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Does the sell include "The Club" as well?
I thought it was a Theracane.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:39 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Forum member Jim Gessner is right in your area. I would strongly recommend Jim. He is a C2 expert. v.vettefinderjim@verizon.net
Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Forum member Jim Gessner is right in your area. I would strongly recommend Jim. He is a C2 expert. v.vettefinderjim@verizon.net
Excellent idea
Do that before accepting offers or getting too involved in detailed conversations about it.
Some will try to pick it apart and that could color your thinking on its value...

This gal has entrusted you with a significant asset and you owe it to her to get some help in moving it on to a new owner at a fair price.... You'll be getting 'pinged' about buying it from forum members before the evening is out I'm sure...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-26-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:42 PM
frankturbo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

from what you can see , it looks like a sweet car
Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 PM
k8atu
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Excellent idea
Do that before accepting offers or getting too involved in detailed conversations about it.
Some will try to pick it apart and that could color your thinking on its value...

This gal has entrusted you with a significant asset and you owe it to her to get some help in moving it on to a new owner at a fair price.... You'll be getting 'pinged' about buying it from forum members before the evening is out I'm sure...

I am a Porsche guy, having had in my tenure some 30+ early through late 911s for the past 20 years or so. Ergo, I know precious little about Corvettes, but I have shifted enough metal to know when someone is trying to flick me. I know what I have here

I have been asked by the niece of the owner (sorry not daughter) to look after the sale of the car with her Aunt's best interests front and center. Accordingly I need to have the car inspected and valued, and for that be done transparently and honestly.

I will be in a position after Thanksgiving to take unlimited pictures of the car, get my hands on all paperwork (of which there is an amazing amount), find out full specs on the car (engine/Fuel injected/manual or auto etc), and move the car to my home and secure it in my garage, with a view of then disposing of the car.

I am already being inundated with offers from far and wide, and I have no intention of doing anything until I understand what the car is really worth - like I said, I am also a car guy, and I do know what I have here.

I just need to make sure absolutely that I am on the right track for the owner. I have reached out to Jim, and will see what happens - many thanks for pointing him out to me 63Corvette and Frankie.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Manual or auto?
The shift pattern on the console would suggest a 4-speed.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by RestoMike
The shift pattern on the console would suggest a 4-speed.
Ah, so it it does Mike. The vertigo got the best of me.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:29 PM
etp71
Advanced

Ah, so it it does Mike. The vertigo got the best of me.
nice car everybody is buying until you hit them with the 100k. I have one for sale also but they want everything right or they cry the blues.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I am a Porsche guy, having had in my tenure some 30+ early through late 911s for the past 20 years or so. Ergo, I know precious little about Corvettes, but I have shifted enough metal to know when someone is trying to flick me. I know what I have here

I have been asked by the niece of the owner (sorry not daughter) to look after the sale of the car with her Aunt's best interests front and center. Accordingly I need to have the car inspected and valued, and for that be done transparently and honestly.

I will be in a position after Thanksgiving to take unlimited pictures of the car, get my hands on all paperwork (of which there is an amazing amount), find out full specs on the car (engine/Fuel injected/manual or auto etc), and move the car to my home and secure it in my garage, with a view of then disposing of the car.

I am already being inundated with offers from far and wide, and I have no intention of doing anything until I understand what the car is really worth - like I said, I am also a car guy, and I do know what I have here.

I just need to make sure absolutely that I am on the right track for the owner. I have reached out to Jim, and will see what happens - many thanks for pointing him out to me 63Corvette and Frankie.
That terminology kind of makes my stomach roll a little. Maybe change it to "find it a home".
Old 11-27-2014, 09:42 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Kemal
I have the same color 63 coupe. Depending on engine and options I'd say between 75,000-85,000 and up...
Good luck. morly1963

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Split Window advice please

Old 11-27-2014, 09:55 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by etp71
nice car everybody is buying until you hit them with the 100k. I have one for sale also but they want everything right or they cry the blues.
That's called 'price negotiation'....occurs with every car I've sold (except the '67 Chevelle SS-396 for some reason)...
Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

The advice you received earlier regarding contacting Jim Gessner is the best advice. Ed Wittwer is another great source. The two are close friends and would likely share the same opinions. From what I can see, it appears there are no fuel injection emblems. I assume this is not a Fuelie.

Quick Reply: 1963 Split Window advice please