C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvettes dead in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:44 AM
tie rod
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvettes dead in Canada

Have been trying to sell my 65 coupe for 6 months to buy a mid year convertible.I have not received 1 serious call or anybody to come see the car in 6 months. There just isn t any interest. I posted several good photos on various sites,asking in the low 30s. the car is a nice driver with nothing really major to do on it. I have owned and sold many mid years in the last 20 years and all sold quickly at higher prices.I believe the reason may be that all the guys that grew up with these cars are in their 60s and 70s and have retired from the hobby and the 40 year olds grew up with all those bad 80s and 90s vettes so they are not interested. I am in Quebec and there are very few mid years left here and very few for sale at any one time. I believe the market is better in Ontario where I see more cars for sale and more cars being sold. I guess I will have to sell it in the US on Ebay and try to find another one on Ebay which after considering the taxes,exchange and freight will be very expensive. Finally I have only seen 1 new Vette on the road here since they came out maybe because the dealers just can t get them-who knows?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:55 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Any pics?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 AM
tie rod
Cruising

Default photos

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Any pics?
I will try to post some photos ASAP.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Post it in the Canadian cars for sale section. You never know.

Have you posted it on Kijiji in the Ontario section?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by tie rod
Have been trying to sell my 65 coupe for 6 months to buy a mid year convertible.I have not received 1 serious call or anybody to come see the car in 6 months. There just isn t any interest. I posted several good photos on various sites,asking in the low 30s. the car is a nice driver with nothing really major to do on it. I have owned and sold many mid years in the last 20 years and all sold quickly at higher prices.I believe the reason may be that all the guys that grew up with these cars are in their 60s and 70s and have retired from the hobby and the 40 year olds grew up with all those bad 80s and 90s vettes so they are not interested. I am in Quebec and there are very few mid years left here and very few for sale at any one time. I believe the market is better in Ontario where I see more cars for sale and more cars being sold. I guess I will have to sell it in the US on Ebay and try to find another one on Ebay which after considering the taxes,exchange and freight will be very expensive. Finally I have only seen 1 new Vette on the road here since they came out maybe because the dealers just can t get them-who knows?
Selling is "persistence" dont give up. Enjoy what u have until it sells.
I'm not 60 or 70 and enjoy the mid-year Corvettes. I ordered a pizza last week and the delivery kid (17 or 18) saw my 63 and said "can I look at your car" I said I thought you kids r into these compact cars. He said "no" I like American muscle" so dont give up! morly1963
Old 11-27-2014, 11:39 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Call Southern Classics in Wake Forest, NC and talk to Charlie. He sells Midyears quickly and does not charge an arm and a leg. He has a hard time keeping them in stock. He deals with shippers daily so he may be able to find one that is reasonable. You will probably have a check in less than 90 days.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM
tie rod
Cruising

Default Kijiji ontario

Originally Posted by hzz
Post it in the Canadian cars for sale section. You never know.

Have you posted it on Kijiji in the Ontario section?
Yes I did with no response and other Canadian provinces as well.The car is a non match # so that may also be an issue.I think prospective buyers of old vettes are more concerned than ever before to buy only matching number cars and won t even consider a car without the original engine at any price.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:42 AM
tie rod
Cruising

Originally Posted by MarkC
Call Southern Classics in Wake Forest, NC and talk to Charlie. He sells Midyears quickly and does not charge an arm and a leg. He has a hard time keeping them in stock. He deals with shippers daily so he may be able to find one that is reasonable. You will probably have a check in less than 90 days.
Thanks for the tip-I will try to contact him.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Your profile doesn't mention what part of QC you're in. The comment about 'not many midyears left here' is surprising. There's plenty in the Montreal and Quebec City area.

Have you contacted NCRS Quebec www.ncrsquebec.com

or any of the clubs mentioned here?

http://www.examiner.com/article/mont...corvette-clubs
Old 11-27-2014, 11:56 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm next door to QP and always looking for the next Corvette. NOM is no real issue if the price reflects that. Send me some details at wemillis@gmail.com.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

When I was in the market earlier this year, I found the opposite. Well priced, well marketed, good cars do sell, and often quickly.

Good exposure is essential. There are not THAT many buyers, but they are out there.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

PM sent
Old 11-27-2014, 02:52 PM
reddog5
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Having just purchased a 61 earlier this year and I am from western Canada I will give you an opinion from recent buyer perspective.

I certainly don't think the corvette is dead in Canada just as I don't think it is for many other marques. But you only have to go to an auction to see the demographics of who is buying (or even attending) - the buyers are not getting younger. I have seen a number of C1 and C2 corvettes go at auctions in the last year in Alberta from as high as 150k to as low as 24k and everything in between.

Other than locally, I think western buyers are buying more north-south vs east-west - especially with the cdn dollar close to par (last few months excepted). It is difficult for the average western buyer to look into Ontario or Quebec or farther east for cars unless they are something special. It is easier to go into western US as there is more selection and more convenient to get to. Importing is easy.

I have had difficulty dealing with private sellers. Many don't want to be upfront or provide info on their vehicles. Can't be reached or can't be bothered. They have their cars priced with emotional premium attached vs what the market is saying. Buyers can be a pain but they may be parting with significant money. I looked at more than a few 20-30k overpriced!

Good luck - presentation, price and persistence is the key. With the internet these days, you need to make it easy for potential buyers to like your car, trust what you are offering and be willing to travel to get it. Try to get it into US market - especially if Cdn continues to fall.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:24 PM
tie rod
Cruising

Default 65

Originally Posted by reddog5
Having just purchased a 61 earlier this year and I am from western Canada I will give you an opinion from recent buyer perspective.

I certainly don't think the corvette is dead in Canada just as I don't think it is for many other marques. But you only have to go to an auction to see the demographics of who is buying (or even attending) - the buyers are not getting younger. I have seen a number of C1 and C2 corvettes go at auctions in the last year in Alberta from as high as 150k to as low as 24k and everything in between.

Other than locally, I think western buyers are buying more north-south vs east-west - especially with the cdn dollar close to par (last few months excepted). It is difficult for the average western buyer to look into Ontario or Quebec or farther east for cars unless they are something special. It is easier to go into western US as there is more selection and more convenient to get to. Importing is easy.

I have had difficulty dealing with private sellers. Many don't want to be upfront or provide info on their vehicles. Can't be reached or can't be bothered. They have their cars priced with emotional premium attached vs what the market is saying. Buyers can be a pain but they may be parting with significant money. I looked at more than a few 20-30k overpriced!

Good luck - presentation, price and persistence is the key. With the internet these days, you need to make it easy for potential buyers to like your car, trust what you are offering and be willing to travel to get it. Try to get it into US market - especially if Cdn continues to fall.
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:21 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Climate may be a factor in the market for early Corvettes. I live fairly close to the Canadian border and I don't see many C1s and C2s in my area. The weather up here only lets you drive them for about 6 months.

The young guys around here seem to like pick up trucks with loud pipes and flashy paint jobs. Corvettes - not so much other than some C5s and C6s.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Be persistent with the ads and be sure to post great pics and update them regularly. I bought a '78 Pace Car a while back and there were almost 300 pictures available to look at on a Photobucket account, so believe me, that made a huge difference since I was buying the car sight unseen (I live in Alaska and the car was in Georgia). I'm in my 40's and have friends in their 30's who all have a lot of interest in the mid-year cars, so I wouldn't fret too much about the aging interested parties out there. Everytime I'm on a trip in our '66, I'm always amazed at the young people that absolutely drool all over the car - these kids will eventually have enough money to buy a few cars, and after they buy their new one with all of the bells (I know I did first), they'll buy the fun cruiser car for the great weather drives!! Keep putting it out there and you'll sell it in the spring!!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:20 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

pics and location please....

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes dead in Canada

Old 11-28-2014, 12:32 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Move thread to the boo who section!

I can't get the money I am asking for my car- for sale section!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

While this may not be the best place to advertise a car, you can't beat it for the money. Try posting it with some good pictures in the For Sale forum, you never know. I can't image a nice looking and driving '65 coupe in the low $30Ks wouldn't attract some interest, even here! Good luck!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Yeah, I see you havent posted it here yet. If you look in the For Sale section, you will see a long list of members with "WTB" ads looking for midyears. You could contact them by PM, and start a For Sale thread of your own.

The Forum Cars For Sale section is an awfully good deal: its free. As much text as you want and as many pictures as you want with a huge Corvette-only audience. No downside to listing. Make a nice ad with pics and an asking price and try your luck.

I considered a couple '63s in Canada before I bought mine- one was offered by a NY consignor that seemed like a great car but the expenses were awfully high, especially seeing how I would have had to ship it. The car in question also had an obvious terrible restamp and the seller refused to acknowlege that which made a sale impossible.

There's a lot of Canadian members here, though. You should place an ad in C1/C2 For Sale to reach them.

Quick Reply: Corvettes dead in Canada