C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dash Pad

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:53 PM
neat32
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Pad

Does anyone have a easy effect way to remove the foam from the back of the new dash pad so the gauges and the corvette piece on passenger side will fit besides 400 sand paper? and do you need to remove any up by the windshield?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You have to tell people what year car you are working on. I happen to know but others do not. I've never removed anything from the back of the pad up close to the windshield and I've never heard of sandpaper to remove the foam backing. A sharp, and I mean SHARP, razor - changed often is what I use.

I'll say again as I did in your previous post - do NOT remove any foam unless you are utterly convinced it has to come off. Its easy to cut more away, putting it back -- not so much...
Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
neat32
Cruising

Default Dash Pad

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You have to tell people what year car you are working on. I happen to know but others do not. I've never removed anything from the back of the pad up close to the windshield and I've never heard of sandpaper to remove the foam backing. A sharp, and I mean SHARP, razor - changed often is what I use.

I'll say again as I did in your previous post - do NOT remove any foam unless you are utterly convinced it has to come off. Its easy to cut more away, putting it back -- not so much...
1960 corvette dash pad/ again thanks (Frankie the Fink) your help on this is well appreciated was afraid of the razor blade getting to close to the vinyl didn't know if there was anything easier read on post and they said they used 40 grit sandpaper/ i'm sure that would take for ever. thanks again
Old 11-28-2014, 05:32 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

I use a long pocket knife with a dull tip so it doesn't puncture the vinyl.

I was happy about a year ago when I opened a new AK pad and saw duct tape on the backside of the cluster area padding. The foam came off easily by hand.

However, the next 2 pads I got did not have duct tape there, so I had to revert to the "knife" method.

Also, take note of the foam density just to the left of the left front lower cluster "point". If the foam is very soft, or missing in that area of the wraparound corner there, you will get wrinkles when the cluster is permanently installed. I had to return one to AK because of this, after spending a good amount of time with Al on the phone to diagnose the problem.

Like this.....

Also check the lower left area of the dash insert area for the same issue....like this. I got one in that a prior owner installed, but when I inserted the dash insert, it looked like this....

After much time and rework using batting from my wife's quilting filler scraps, it was better.

Last edited by rich5962; 11-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:20 AM
neat32
Cruising

Default Dash Pad

Frankie went home last night and looked again at the dash pad, it really doesn't have any soft form it's a very hard black material over the vinyl back, I'm sure I'm going to need to remove some of it to get the dash insert in specially it I try to leave more material like you said so still stumped on a easy way to remove some of it.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:50 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The old production of dash pads always had too much foam in the center area which made fitment hard to do. I used to have 12" de-burring bit for trimming it down a tiny bit at a time, and then test fit trim, test fit, trim test fit...... it was a royal pain in the rear.

The newest CA pads are awesome. You don't have to trim anything, and they fit like a glove. The last two installations we did were a 60 and a 58 and both were the quickest dash pad installation I've ever seen.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-29-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Pad

Quick Reply: Dash Pad