C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 427/425 vert Project build with lots of dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:45 PM
dabear
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 1966 427/425 vert Project build with lots of dumb questions

I’ve owned a number of different vettes including C4, C5, C6 and ZR1 however the C2 has always been my favorite. I’ve finally had the opportunity to get a C2 and purchased a Project. It is a Project with a capital P as far as I’m concerned because I’ve never really been a mechanic. 1966 vert 427 425hp triple black car. I’m re-building this car with my son and daughter.

I’ve got the Nolan book, the restoring corvette book, restoring vette chassis book and have ordered the NCRS judging book. I’m also armed with google/bing/etc search engines. 

Here are some initial pictures. Here is the body and frame being separated so the body can be finished/primed and then painted.

I took the parts and the frame home and you can see how it made the trip and then its new home in my garage.
Attached Images      
Old 11-28-2014, 04:49 PM
dabear
Instructor

Default throw out bearing

I've looked in the books I have and here on the forum, but can't find out which way the throwing out bearing goes into the fork. Is this right?
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2014, 05:50 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes
Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 PM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by dabear
I’ve owned a number of different vettes including C4, C5, C6 and ZR1 however the C2 has always been my favorite. I’ve finally had the opportunity to get a C2 and purchased a Project. It is a Project with a capital P as far as I’m concerned because I’ve never really been a mechanic. 1966 vert 427 425hp triple black car. I’m re-building this car with my son and daughter.

I’ve got the Nolan book, the restoring corvette book, restoring vette chassis book and have ordered the NCRS judging book. I’m also armed with google/bing/etc search engines. 

Here are some initial pictures. Here is the body and frame being separated so the body can be finished/primed and then painted.

I took the parts and the frame home and you can see how it made the trip and then its new home in my garage.
Looks like a fun new project.

Kent
Old 11-28-2014, 08:08 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know how correct you are trying make this car, but the bell housing is not all orange, it was painted bolted on the engine and only about 4 inches of it was orange the rest is natural and all natural on the inside. If your not going original, then paint it all it looks nicer.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Awesome!

You are living the dream man! Best of luck, and keep us posted as to your progress!!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I’ve got the Nolan book, the restoring corvette book, restoring vette chassis book and have ordered the NCRS judging book.
Do you have the Assembly Instruction Manual? It's essential for what you're doing.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM
dabear
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Do you have the Assembly Instruction Manual? It's essential for what you're doing.
Yes I do, thanks. I have one in the garage for when I'm working on the car and 1 in the office for reference when planning or buying parts.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM
dabear
Instructor

Here are some pictures of the different numbers. While I originally wasn't interested in a numbers matching car, at first pass these look good to me. The engine has been rebuilt with new paint in places including the stamp pad, the trans, carb, and diff have been rebuilt.

Name:  Trim Tag.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  Vin.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  42.1 KB
Attached Images     
Old 11-30-2014, 11:06 AM
dabear
Instructor

Other Pictures
Attached Images       
Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 AM
dabear
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
I don't know how correct you are trying make this car, but the bell housing is not all orange, it was painted bolted on the engine and only about 4 inches of it was orange the rest is natural and all natural on the inside. If your not going original, then paint it all it looks nicer.
I'm still wrestling with the original NCRS judging rebuild versus rebuild with chrome and nicer paint on parts, no overspray, etc.

Parts of this rebuild will be done multiple times as I figure things out, show myself and my kids how things go together/work. and decide what is best. Even if I go the NCRS route, I still plan on driving the car a lot (2-3k a year).
Old 11-30-2014, 11:22 AM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette

Big block bell housings differ in their amount of paint coverage as compared to the SB bell housing. Granted it was not painted inside however the bell housing was pretty much covered with paint.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:22 AM
dabear
Instructor

And now to the point you've all been waiting for... the dumb question of the day.

I'm trying to join the trans with the engine. I've put in a new pilot bushing (that goes over the trans ping just fine prior to inserting into engine shaft. However I can't get the trans to join up.

I've tried it with the bell housing on the trans, I get it to the last inch, but no further. I tried putting the bell housing on the engine, but the trans doesn't get past the "fingers." I have the assembly manual and the electronic service manuals. I tried google/bing searches for C2 trans installation videos or instructions but that was epic fail as I get a lot of C2 headlight, etc. results..

But I'm not seeing the answer.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 AM
dabear
Instructor

Originally Posted by RestoMike
Big block bell housings differ in their amount of paint coverage as compared to the SB bell housing. Granted it was not painted inside however the bell housing was pretty much covered with paint.
Please tell me the NCRS judges are not going to look into the inside of the bell housing.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM
dabear
Instructor

And now to the point you've all been waiting for... the dumb question of the day.

I'm trying to join the trans with the engine. I've put in a new pilot bushing (that goes over the trans ping just fine prior to inserting into engine shaft. However I can't get the trans to join up.

I've tried it with the bell housing on the trans, I get it to the last inch, but no further. I tried putting the bell housing on the engine, but the trans doesn't get past the "fingers." I have the assembly manual and the electronic service manuals. I tried google/bing searches for C2 trans installation videos or instructions but that was epic fail as I get a lot of C2 headlight, etc. results..

But I'm not seeing the answer.
Ok, took the clutch and housing off and tried to put the trans (no bellhousing/clutch) into the pilot hole. Not happening. So I must have made the hole smaller when putting it into the crank/flywheel. I'm using a bushing not bearing.

Is there a way to get it in without making the internal hole smaller?

Is there a way to open it back up?

Is it time for a trip to the parts store and get a 3rd bushing?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:14 PM
dabear
Instructor

Default Frame Question

While collecting numbers off parts I decided to look at the frame deeper. The chassis restoration book says the Serial number 6S121903 should be on the top rail driver side next to the #3 and #4 frame attach point.

The frame has been sand blasted twice by the previous owner and then painted with an etching primer. With the frame painted as such I could not see the serial number. I stripped the paint off the frame rail, on top, in front of the #2, #3, and #4 frame attach point. There are no markings that I can find at #2 and #3. Here are pictures from #4. It looks like 6S121903 or could be 68I21903.

Now, the questions are;
1. shouldn't the serial number impressions be deeper?
2. Is #4 correct?
3. If #4 is correct, how should I repaint so it can be seen to be judged
4. If #4 is correct, how much will NCRS deduct with the missing #3
5. if both incorrect, how much of a point deduction? Is it worth pursuing NCRS or should I just rebuild for myself (quality, chrome, ,nice painted frame/etc. driver)

Really appreciate the thoughts.
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2014, 02:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Now, the questions are;
1. shouldn't the serial number impressions be deeper?
2. Is #4 correct?
3. If #4 is correct, how should I repaint so it can be seen to be judged
4. If #4 is correct, how much will NCRS deduct with the missing #3
5. if both incorrect, how much of a point deduction? Is it worth pursuing NCRS or should I just rebuild for myself (quality, chrome, ,nice painted frame/etc. driver)

Really appreciate the thoughts.
Frame VIN derivative is fine - NCRS doesn't try and find it or judge it; that's why you'll find no mention of it in the '66 Judging Guide.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 427/425 vert Project build with lots of dumb questions

Old 11-30-2014, 05:59 PM
dabear
Instructor

Install of Flywheel, clutch, and transmission

1. Install Flywheel, Torque bolts (65 ft lbs)
a. Make sure face is clean of dirt, oil, etc.
2. Install Pilot bearing,
a. Put pilot bearing in freezer for 6 hours prior to install,
b. grease outside of bearing and then install
3. Confirm Transmission goes into pilot bearing easily
4. Using guide, place clutch on CLEANED flywheel and then install CLEANED pressure plate; torque bolts (35 ft lbs) in star fashion do prevent warping flywheel
5. Install clutch throw-out bearing on clutch fork; insure clips are inside bearing. Grease bearing and fork spring prior to assembly
6. Install clutch fork into bellhousing; grease bell stud prior to fork install
7. Install bellhousing onto transmission torque bolts (45-60 ft lbs)
a. grease trans gear prior to inserting through throw-out bearing.
8. Remove clutch guide
9. Install bellhousing/transmission assembly to engine. Torque bolts (30 ft lbs)
10. Install bellhousing front cover

Steps not needed;
• Install pilot bushing
• Skip step 3 (confirming transmission goes into pilot bearing
• During step 9, confirm transmission will not go on engine.
• Ask children to leave room
• CURSE
• Go to auto parts store, get new bushing and buy pilot bushing removal tool
• Attempt to remove pilot bushing, break tool
• Go back to auto parts store, get new tool
• Remove pilot bushing
• Recheck manuals and google search for instructions
• Install Pilot bushing and move through steps 2-8 (still skipping step 3 above) and confirm transmission will not go on engine.
• Try multiple ways to get trans on engine
• CURSE loudly
• Go to Corvette forum, post pictures
• Strip paint off inside of bellhousing just in case NCRS guys look
• Remove pilot bushing again
• Go to step 2 above
• Recognize that if takes 10 hours for a 1-1/2 hour job, this rebuild is going to take a lot longer than planned.

I think I'll keep posting here so folks know what not to do.....
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2014, 06:03 PM
dabear
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Frame VIN derivative is fine - NCRS doesn't try and find it or judge it; that's why you'll find no mention of it in the '66 Judging Guide.

Thank you. I ordered the judging guide 2 weeks ago but still waiting for it to come.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Install of Flywheel, clutch, and transmission

1. Install Flywheel, Torque bolts (65 ft lbs)
a. Make sure face is clean of dirt, oil, etc.
2. Install Pilot bearing,
a. Put pilot bearing in freezer for 6 hours prior to install,
b. grease outside of bearing and then install
3. Confirm Transmission goes into pilot bearing easily
4. Using guide, place clutch on CLEANED flywheel and then install CLEANED pressure plate; torque bolts (35 ft lbs) in star fashion do prevent warping flywheel
5. Install clutch throw-out bearing on clutch fork; insure clips are inside bearing. Grease bearing and fork spring prior to assembly
6. Install clutch fork into bellhousing; grease bell stud prior to fork install
7. Install bellhousing onto transmission torque bolts (45-60 ft lbs)
a. grease trans gear prior to inserting through throw-out bearing.
8. Remove clutch guide
9. Install bellhousing/transmission assembly to engine. Torque bolts (30 ft lbs)
10. Install bellhousing front cover

Steps not needed;
• Install pilot bushing
• Skip step 3 (confirming transmission goes into pilot bearing
• During step 9, confirm transmission will not go on engine.
• CURSE
• Go to auto parts store, get new bushing and buy pilot bushing removal tool
• Attempt to remove pilot bushing, break tool
• Go back to auto parts store, get new tool
• Remove pilot bushing
• Recheck manuals and google search for instructions
• Install Pilot bushing and move through steps 2-8 (still skipping step 3 above) and confirm transmission will not go on engine.
• Try multiple ways to get trans on engine
• CURSE loudly
• Go to Corvette forum, post pictures
• Strip paint off inside of bellhousing just in case NCRS guys look
• Remove pilot bushing again
• Go to step 2 above
• Recognize that if takes 10 hours for a 1-1/2 hour job, this rebuild is going to take a lot longer than planned.

I think I'll keep posting here so folks know what not to do.....
Know this...YOU ARE NOT ALONE. It's knowing that we all have those 1.5 hour jobs that turn into 2 days takes the sting out of it.

I was just thinking today how much I have enjoyed working on my cars dispite the set backs and stupid, hasty decisions I've made.

Quick Reply: 1966 427/425 vert Project build with lots of dumb questions