C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaky T-10

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:54 PM
stvaughn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Leaky T-10

My T-10 is leaking a little from the countershaft hole. I have the trans out of the car right now. How can I stop the leak?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-29-2014, 07:45 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by stvaughn
My T-10 is leaking a little from the countershaft hole. I have the trans out of the car right now. How can I stop the leak?
Thanks,Steve
I never had a T-10 leak at the counter shaft, only Muncie's.
The stop gap fixes are silicone around the shaft with the Right Stuff silicone just before installing it or make a paper gasket to go between the trans and the bell.
The permanent solution is to bring it to a machine shop and have them bush it to the proper size.
You can give Larry at D & L transmission a call and ask him.
Joe
Old 12-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Joe is dead on. The only correct way to fix it is to have the hole bushed. While you have the luxury of having it out, you might want to inspect it for other issues and replace all the gaskets, etc. T-10s are notorious for chewing up 2nd and 3rd gears and synchro units. If you have one that grinds going into gear or has a tendency to pop out on decal, this would be a good time to fix it.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 PM
stvaughn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks guys. I had the trans rebuilt last year to fix a syncro problem and what I thought was a front seal leaking. However there is still some seepage on the bottom of the trans. It is not much and if I didn't have a lift I probably would never have even known it was seeping. Just enough to wet the bottom of the trans when I had the car in the air for tinkering on something. Ran it all summer and pulled engine out to O/H it and looked at the front of the trans and determined that the seal is not leaking but the countershaft has evidence that it is seeping. Don't want to get into the bush solution so may try to make a paper gasket and RTV it.

Steve
Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

On my Muncie, I cut a piece of thin rubber tool box liner (based on a recommendation here) and slathered both sides of it with RTV and snugged the tranny back up with this RTV 'sandwich' over the countershaft hole....its been 7 months now and no more leaks.

Of course, I agree rebushing the hole is the ultimate fix but a quickee repair that might last you years is the one I performed....

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky T-10

Quick Reply: Leaky T-10