C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Problem confirmed, need help with fix (WCFB)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Problem confirmed, need help with fix (WCFB)

For those of you who have suffered along with me on my 2x4 wcfb problem with flooding, I have confirmed the source of the problem as the needle/seat assembly on the secondary side of the front carb. I thought I had it fixed, went for a drive and noticed still some slight dribble from primary jets. Removed air horn, blew through fuel feed, and sure enough, hissing again through secondary needle seat! What concerned me was when I went to remove it, it was barely finger tight. I previously reported that the seat in the air horn housing seems "rough" where the fiber gasket seats, almost like Bubba had previously installed brass needle seat without a gasket. Is it normal for the casting surface to be rough? I am afraid to overtighten this, between the brass and pot metal I don't want to screw anything up. Any ideas on a permanent fix? Can I try some fine emery on casting seat to smooth it out?

Thanks again for any input.

John
Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The fiber gasket under the needle seat should compensate for any irregularities unless they are really beyond normal and I don't know how that would happen... You can snug the seat down pretty firmly without hurting anything - certainly with enough torque it should never loosen on its own...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Put a daub of gasket sealer on the gasket.

Verne
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I thought about the sealer idea - for now, I torqued it down as much as I feel comfortable with and hope for the best. Just don't see how it could loosen itself up like it has.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,527 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by W Guy
Put a daub of gasket sealer on the gasket.

Verne
Do you have a favorite sealer which will withstand E10 fuel? All the ones I've tried are soluble in motor fuel.

Jim
Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Jim,
I haven't tested any of them for dilution in E10 but I'd think any of the silicone based RTVs would work. Plenty of people use that on intake gaskets. I've heard recommendations for the red stuff.

Verne

Also, there are several different sizes and thicknesses of those gaskets as well. I always set a gasket in place first to be sure it lays in the seat properly, then I watch it very closely as I tighten the fuel valve to make sure it doesn't wiggle off center.

Last edited by W Guy; 11-30-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem confirmed, need help with fix (WCFB)

Quick Reply: Problem confirmed, need help with fix (WCFB)