C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lator Gator C1 Frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM
chevyguy_72
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lator Gator C1 Frame

Hey guys...
I am working on this for a friend who is not as much of a forum guy...
He currently has a 60 vette... frame is pretty rough...
Looking to go with a replacement...
I have been reading up on popular options:

http://www.corvettecorrection.com/c-1-frames/
http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/195362corvette.html
http://www.artmorrison.com/53-62vette.php

and those all look good...

BUT

I was in Daytona at the Turkey run a couple weeks back and met a guy from Ohio. Lator Gator was the company name...
He had a very nice looking Chevelle frame on display but said he had built several C1 frames... Had different options etc...
After talking to the guy for an hr... my buddy was ready to sign on the dotted line...
I convinced him to hold off and do some research first...
Just wondering if you anyone has had any experience with him?

http://latorgatorusa.com/rolling-chassis/car-frames/

Thanks

Last edited by chevyguy_72; 12-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I do not have any experience with the LaterGator (LG) frame, but I have built a '59 using the Corvette Correction (CC) frame, so a few observations.

The LG frame uses coil over shocks vs the stock C4 mono springs on the CC frame. Their are pros and cons on which type of spring to use, but personally I find the mono leaf springs to work fine.

The CC frame has a clear center section which makes fitting and servicing the transmission, driveshaft, and exhaust system much easier.

Hard to tell from the picture on the LG website, but the frame rails do not appear as deep as the CC rails, perhaps just the picture.

The LG site lists a Dana 36 as an option, but not the stronger Dana 44. Depending on the purpose of the car you are building and the strength of the engine and tire size, you may want to use a Dana 44.

Also something to consider is the assistance after the purchase and the experience of the person selling the frame. I can tell you that you will be very pleased with Billy Dawson at Corvette Corrections. He has tons of experience and will be very helpful in assisting you with any questions that may arise.

Charles
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Vette Products of Michigan makes very nice replacement frames for C1 and C2 cars, give them a call.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:01 PM
chevyguy_72
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I do not have any experience with the LaterGator (LG) frame, but I have built a '59 using the Corvette Correction (CC) frame, so a few observations.

The LG frame uses coil over shocks vs the stock C4 mono springs on the CC frame. Their are pros and cons on which type of spring to use, but personally I find the mono leaf springs to work fine.

The CC frame has a clear center section which makes fitting and servicing the transmission, driveshaft, and exhaust system much easier.

Hard to tell from the picture on the LG website, but the frame rails do not appear as deep as the CC rails, perhaps just the picture.

The LG site lists a Dana 36 as an option, but not the stronger Dana 44. Depending on the purpose of the car you are building and the strength of the engine and tire size, you may want to use a Dana 44.

Also something to consider is the assistance after the purchase and the experience of the person selling the frame. I can tell you that you will be very pleased with Billy Dawson at Corvette Corrections. He has tons of experience and will be very helpful in assisting you with any questions that may arise.

Charles
He stated he did have the Dana 44 as an option was just extra $$$
Thanks for the rest of the info...
exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for

Vette Products of Michigan makes very nice replacement frames for C1 and C2 cars, give them a call.
I will look them up...
Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 01:37 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Here is my take on it.

The three vendors you had links to are probably the 3 best choices for C1 resto-mod frames, and you could not go wrong with any of them. CC's rails are not that deep, they just add another parallel rail on each side to stiffen the frame. SR3 is an entirely different design, using round tubing and deep triangulation. It also is a great frame, and I have built severl of them, but the frame hangs below the rockers, unlike Billy's where the frame rails are hidden from view.

Any suspension that uses a D36, can use a D44, it is just more money, as the D44 units are in more demand. That being said, I would not hesitate to use a D36 rear in a C1. With stock wheelwells, the biggest tires you can run are about 245's, and it is pretty hard to hurt a D36 with this much traction. Even a base LS1 will pretty much smoke the tires at will, so it is pretty hard to generate enough traction to really stress the rear end. If you are anticipating a steady diet of drag racing, than the D44 may be a better choice, but the D36 will serve well, especially if you are using an automatic trans.

I would not even consider using a no-name like LG. The 3 chassis makers you listed have been around for a long time, and all 3 have a great track record for building a great product, and all have good support. There have been more than a few builders that have built frames for Corvettes, sold a bunch of crappy product, and are no longer around! The most important thing to look at when deciding on a chassis, is who has a large number of satisfied customers using their chassis. I do not believe I have ever heard an unfavorable comment about any of the 3 you have listed. I know all 3 builders, and they are all good people, with a real customer service mentality.

Just do a forum search on Hedges speed shop to see how badly people get hurt when they buy into a bunch of hype from a builder with no history of supplying a great product. There were several people who, after paying top dollar for his chassis, ended up buying one from Billy or Mike, because the finished product they bought was unusable.
It is expensive enough to build one of these cars, without having to buy the chassis twice!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-10-2014, 01:44 PM
chevyguy_72
4th Gear

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Here is my take on it.

The three vendors you had links to are probably the 3 best choices for C1 resto-mod frames, and you could not go wrong with any of them. CC's rails are not that deep, they just add another parallel rail on each side to stiffen the frame. SR3 is an entirely different design, using round tubing and deep triangulation. It also is a great frame, and I have built severl of them, but the frame hangs below the rockers, unlike Billy's where the frame rails are hidden from view.

Any suspension that uses a D36, can use a D44, it is just more money, as the D44 units are in more demand. That being said, I would not hesitate to use a D36 rear in a C1. With stock wheelwells, the biggest tires you can run are about 245's, and it is pretty hard to hurt a D36 with this much traction. Even a base LS1 will pretty much smoke the tires at will, so it is pretty hard to generate enough traction to really stress the rear end. If you are anticipating a steady diet of drag racing, than the D44 may be a better choice, but the D36 will serve well, especially if you are using an automatic trans.

I would not even consider using a no-name like LG. The 3 chassis makers you listed have been around for a long time, and all 3 have a great track record for building a great product, and all have good support. There have been more than a few builders that have built frames for Corvettes, sold a bunch of crappy product, and are no longer around! The most important thing to look at when deciding on a chassis, is who has a large number of satisfied customers using their chassis. I do not believe I have ever heard an unfavorable comment about any of the 3 you have listed. I know all 3 builders, and they are all good people, with a real customer service mentality.

Just do a forum search on Hedges speed shop to see how badly people get hurt when they buy into a bunch of hype from a builder with no history of supplying a great product. There were several people who, after paying top dollar for his chassis, ended up buying one from Billy or Mike, because the finished product they bought was unusable.
It is expensive enough to build one of these cars, without having to buy the chassis twice!

Regards, John McGraw
I agree with everything you said... That is the exact reason for this thread... wanted to hear if anyone has used LG (apparently not) and hear the real pro/cons about the other frame builders from you guys... not the person trying to sell it to me...

One other thing I noticed was the Art Morrison is it uses a solid rear axle 9" where everyone else is using newer vette rearends... also wondered about that...

I am also interested how much trimming on a stock body is required to make these work...

Mostly likely going with a 5 spd and either a SBC or LS motor in this car...

Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 02:04 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Anything using the C4 rearend will need a section of the spare tire well cut out the clear the centersection. Morrison also has an IRS of their own design that they can install, but it is pretty pricey. If I recall, it is a about 12K just for the rear suspension! It is a strong unit and is based on the 9" Ford centersection.

Morriosn builds a nice chassis, but he definitely is at the top of the list, pricewise.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-10-2014, 02:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyguy_72

I am also interested how much trimming on a stock body is required to make these work...
The exact-replacement reproduction C1 frame made by Vette Products of Michigan is GM-licensed, doesn't require any body rework or trimming, and costs about 1/3 of what those other aftermarket frames cost.

www.vetteproducts.net
Old 12-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The exact-replacement reproduction C1 frame made by Vette Products of Michigan is GM-licensed, doesn't require any body rework or trimming, and costs about 1/3 of what those other aftermarket frames cost.

www.vetteproducts.net

I believe he is looking for a resto frame.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I looked at the three top frame builders and decided to go with CC because there frames are tucked nicely into the body, no cross member, engine sits lower in to the frame, they are incredible to drive and last but not least. I like the tech help the Billy provides.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

When I built my 54 Street Rod, I used a Newman Creations conversion of my C1 frame. Coilovers will give you a more adjustable ride height vs C4 monoleaf springs.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:38 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ

www.vetteproducts.net
John, as usual, brings up a very good point. In the OPs original post he says nothing about building back to stock or if his buddy is going resto-mod. OP needs to give us that info first. If going back to stock, the Vette Products frame, IMHO, is the no-brainer way to go.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:27 PM
chevyguy_72
4th Gear

He is not looking to go back to original... not that he would be opposed in retrofitting his current frame with newer suspension but since it needs to be replaced figured he would look at updated frames...

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
John, as usual, brings up a very good point. In the OPs original post he says nothing about building back to stock or if his buddy is going resto-mod. OP needs to give us that info first. If going back to stock, the Vette Products frame, IMHO, is the no-brainer way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Lator Gator C1 Frame

Quick Reply: Lator Gator C1 Frame