C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette powered Italian car, in search of

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 PM
HistoryBuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette powered Italian car, in search of

I don't want to buy it..I just want to tell the story of it being found.
"It" is a Bizzarrini, a car made in Italy that came new with a 327 cu. in. Corvette engine mated to a Borg Warner 4 speed. Actually to be technical, this particular one came out before the Bizzarrini brand, when it was called the Iso Grifo but the subsequent Bizzarrinis had the same body style. This particular one is called the Iso Grifo A3/C, the "C" for competition. At Sebring it crashed and Max Balchowsky, the famous movie car mechanic, tried to take two crashed ones and make one car.
The story that sparked my interest is here

http://mycarquest.com/2014/12/wanted...-race-car.html

So I'd like to hear if the car is restored, and here's a cheeky question, if it's welded together from two cars, which SN do you use? The back half car or the front half car?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by HistoryBuff

So I'd like to hear if the car is restored, and here's a cheeky question, if it's welded together from two cars, which SN do you use? The back half car or the front half car?
my guess, the half that carries the serial #.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

The article clearly states that the serial number was on the front of the car so it now carries the number of the car that donated the front half.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:38 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Bringing back memories here -- I had a '66 Iso in the early 70s as my daily driver commuting into DC. No I wasn't rich. I was single and stupid.

I recall it had Borani wires and a Jag-type rear with inboard disc brakes and a de dion dif.

Somehow the windshield cracked and I couldn't get a replacement. So I sold the car for $1,500.00 (not thousand)).
Old 12-13-2014, 04:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Iso's were beautiful cars!
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2014, 04:56 PM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Iso's were beautiful cars!
Oh man and leather was everywhere
Old 12-14-2014, 06:23 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Car and Driver tested one, and AIR they said it was so low, it bottomed out frequently. Got to sit in one at Fantasy Junction's showroom in Emeryville CA a couple of years ago, just getting in and out was twice as hard as an original Ford GT. Once in, Grifos are reputed to be a good drive.

The more upright four-seater Iso is far more practical and comfortable IMO. A few Chevy dealers handled them in the mid-'60s, Baldwin (Motion) Chevrolet among them.

Last edited by sub006; 12-16-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 PM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by sub006
Car and driver tested one, and AIR they said it ws so low, it bottomed out frequently. Got to sit in one at Fantasy Junctions showroom in Emeryville CA a couple of years ago, just gettting in and out was twice as hard as an original Ford GT. Once in, Isos are reputed to be a good drive.
I just remember it was big feeling and looking over the hood and determining distance was difficult.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

[QUOTE=sub006;1588485730]Car and driver tested one, and AIR they said it ws so low, it bottomed out frequently. Got to sit in one at Fantasy Junctions showroom in Emeryville CA a couple of years ago, just gettting in and out was twice as hard as an original Ford GT. QUOTE]

If that was the Red Competizione with the 377 from Fantasy Junction, my buddy bought it and races it in Historic Events. He loves it until he has to remove the distributor, then he has to remove the windshield.

Ray
Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 AM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Couple of pic's of Dr Simeone's in PHL PA. Took these one afternoon when I was the only one in there & they let me up close to the GS (posted some of those pic's right afterward). Thought this was pretty cool and definitely rare for sure - actually like most of his stuff! Underrated place you ought to check out if you are in the area!

Think I have pic's of one in the San Diego museum as well from a few years ago if anyone is interested...

Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=rayvaflav;1588487702]
Originally Posted by sub006
Car and driver tested one, and AIR they said it ws so low, it bottomed out frequently. Got to sit in one at Fantasy Junctions showroom in Emeryville CA a couple of years ago, just gettting in and out was twice as hard as an original Ford GT. QUOTE]

If that was the Red Competizione with the 377 from Fantasy Junction, my buddy bought it and races it in Historic Events. He loves it until he has to remove the distributor, then he has to remove the windshield.

Ray
Don't recall red, think it was a quieter color like silver. A Front-Oriented Real Distributor (FORD) engine might have been a better choice when Giotto B decided to build a front mid-engined car!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:44 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Although the race car the OP is discussing was called an Iso Grifo, the actual production Iso Grifo street cars looked like the photo posted by JohnZ. They went through a few different series, some of the last ending up with a Corvette 427 instead of the 327. I can't imagine that the handling didn't suffer a bit. In any case, Bizzarrini did make some street cars as well that DID look like the Iso Grifo A3/C. They called it the 5300 GT Strada:

Old 12-15-2014, 04:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I got to drive a few of these

Like the Lambo engine prototype when I volunteered my time at the San Diego Automobile Museum! I used to have the production numbers written down on all of these someplace, but you haven't been nice to me! They don't have one of those stick out the tonque smile icons! Toe Tap was the next best thing!

Dana Chevrolet had one of the 7 Liter Iso's in their performance showroom for awhile in the prominent #1 spot in some of the pictures of their dealership! One of these also was used as a pace car for a Can Am event!

The early one of a kind race car, also has a unique Competition VIN #!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

There are several Bizzarinis on the Vintage race circuit, and at least one original Iso Rivolta street car which I raced with at Monterey in 2013. It was quicker than I was and it had a LOT of motor.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
There are several Bizzarinis on the Vintage race circuit, and at least one original Iso Rivolta street car which I raced with at Monterey in 2013. It was quicker than I was and it had a LOT of motor.
The big-block 427 Iso's were pretty obvious - instead of making a newly-contoured hood outer panel for air cleaner clearance, they just raised the center section of the hood a couple of inches.
Attached Images     
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

What beautiful cars, all! Though the 427 hood detracts these are fabulous.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The big-block 427 Iso's were pretty obvious - instead of making a newly-contoured hood outer panel for air cleaner clearance, they just raised the center section of the hood a couple of inches.
John this one is not the sporting Grifo model, but an ordinary notchback 2 door. Group 6 (Group 5 at Monterey) "usually" only allows small blocks (except for the Grand Sport), but this one was STOUT!

This is NOT it, but bodywork is similar.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette powered Italian car, in search of

Old 12-16-2014, 05:16 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
John this one is not the sporting Grifo model, but an ordinary notchback 2 door. Group 6 (Group 5 at Monterey) "usually" only allows small blocks (except for the Grand Sport), but this one was STOUT!

This is NOT it, but bodywork is similar.
Reminds me of a more mass produced early CS BMW which I always think are handsome cars (and pricey). Nice, Garrett!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Gene jockey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HistoryBuff
I don't want to buy it..I just want to tell the story of it being found.
"It" is a Bizzarrini, a car made in Italy that came new with a 327 cu. in. Corvette engine mated to a Borg Warner 4 speed. Actually to be technical, this particular one came out before the Bizzarrini brand, when it was called the Iso Grifo but the subsequent Bizzarrinis had the same body style. This particular one is called the Iso Grifo A3/C, the "C" for competition. At Sebring it crashed and Max Balchowsky, the famous movie car mechanic, tried to take two crashed ones and make one car.
The story that sparked my interest is here

http://mycarquest.com/2014/12/wanted...-race-car.html

There's a Bizzarini in the Doylestown-New Hope PA area that shows up at local car shows . Not a race car but pretty snarky.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:15 PM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
Although the race car the OP is discussing was called an Iso Grifo, the actual production Iso Grifo street cars looked like the photo posted by JohnZ. They went through a few different series, some of the last ending up with a Corvette 427 instead of the 327. I can't imagine that the handling didn't suffer a bit. In any case, Bizzarrini did make some street cars as well that DID look like the Iso Grifo A3/C. They called it the 5300 GT Strada:

Back in the summer of '71, my bud and I showed/sold/delivered "video" games to bars/bowling alleys/skating rinks in southeast Michigan, using his dad's '69 Bizzarrini as transportation.
It was Silver, and as I recall, had a 350 cubic inch, 370 hp solid lifter Chevy engine.
This thing could go into "S" curves at 50 mph, and come out of them at 80 mph--- lots of fun, but even an 18 year old had trouble getting in and out of this very low to the ground car.
My memory was that this was a $10,000.00 car in '69------way "out there" of most.

Last edited by Corvettes by George; 12-21-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette powered Italian car, in search of