C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How long to take body off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 PM
myronf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long to take body off?

I am thinking about taking the body off on my 65. I don't really want to do it, but I am thinking about it so that I can detail everything that I can't get to with the body on. Right now I have the trans, trailing arms, spring, exhaust, struts, etc out and I was thinking about going all the way.

I know that we all work at different speeds, and I am on the slower end when it comes to working on the vette. Is this a 10hr job for one person? 20? 40?

also, is there a good checklist for getting this done?

Thanks in advance.
Myron
Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by myronf
I am thinking about taking the body off on my 65. I don't really want to do it, but I am thinking about it so that I can detail everything that I can't get to with the body on. Right now I have the trans, trailing arms, spring, exhaust, struts, etc out and I was thinking about going all the way.

I know that we all work at different speeds, and I am on the slower end when it comes to working on the vette. Is this a 10hr job for one person? 20? 40?

also, is there a good checklist for getting this done?

Thanks in advance.
Myron
Here you go...post #2

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...heck-list.html
Old 12-18-2014, 05:36 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Project creep watch out!!

Took the body off our 66. I have spent 2+ years rebuilding it. Just cleaning would not do. Ended replacing everything. After all who wants to bolt old brake/fuel lines to a newly finished frame, or add the old gas tank? It doesn't leak, just does not look good enough to set on top of that newly finished frame..and it goes on and on. Looks like you live in Wi. and will have some time this winter to work on it.
It is fun and a great experience working on these cars, and this forum is a great resource, but be careful, that old "project creep" can keep you busy, not to mention the $.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:56 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm doing this on a '67 as I write this. I've done a few C1 and C2 body off's.

Every one can be a tad different, depending on the hardware condition and overall quality of prior work or restoration techniques, if applicable. If "bubba" was in there doing some special modifications, expect a little more time. This will include scratching your head in delusional laughter while you go get a therapeutic adult beverage and take a break now and then.

On this '67 I have about 10 hours into the prep. All I have left to do is disconnect the brake lines at the master cylinder, then remove the bumbers and rear valence, (about a hour or so), and off it comes. With a few more likely unknowns, I'd estimate about 12 hours on this one.

The most difficult body mount hardware removal will likely be the #4 rear mounts just behind the rear wheels if it's a convertible. If decklid drain gutters were plugged up, this causes water to enter the cabin and rust the captive square nuts just behind the decklid lift springs. You can spend much time getting them cut off. See This Thread. Post#6.

Good luck,
Rich
Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 AM
myronf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Scope creep and time are my biggest concerns. I am afraid of a 2 year $30K adventure that will have virtually no effect on the value of the car. Lack of garage space is also a factor. Other than those minor concerns I am ready to get started today!

Myron
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Scope creep and time are my biggest concerns. I am afraid of a 2 year $30K adventure that will have virtually no effect on the value of the car. Lack of garage space is also a factor. Other than those minor concerns I am ready to get started today!

Myron
Myron:

I was faced with similar situation and wimped out. I was able to change the body bushings on the car and paint frame (as best as I could) before putting back together. I am happy I did not go "all the way" as I calculated around $15-20k and 3 years to get car back together. Car is back on the road.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Myron

I pulled my 65 body in an afternoon with no helper. If you have the know how and tools you can end to end refurbish your chassis for $2600 in parts and about $200 for sand blasting and paint.

If your engine, transmission and rear end are sound a good cleanup and repaint is all that is needed.

Good luck. Dennis
Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by rich5962
I'm doing this on a '67 as I write this. I've done a few C1 and C2 body off's.

Every one can be a tad different, depending on the hardware condition and overall quality of prior work or restoration techniques, if applicable. If "bubba" was in there doing some special modifications, expect a little more time. This will include scratching your head in delusional laughter while you go get a therapeutic adult beverage and take a break now and then.

On this '67 I have about 10 hours into the prep. All I have left to do is disconnect the brake lines at the master cylinder, then remove the bumbers and rear valence, (about a hour or so), and off it comes. With a few more likely unknowns, I'd estimate about 12 hours on this one.

The most difficult body mount hardware removal will likely be the #4 rear mounts just behind the rear wheels if it's a convertible. If decklid drain gutters were plugged up, this causes water to enter the cabin and rust the captive square nuts just behind the decklid lift springs. You can spend much time getting them cut off. See This Thread. Post#6.

Good luck,
Rich
Rich, I couldn't agree more. We've been fixing some stuff on a 62 that a buddy of mine bought. There are holes that have been cut in the trunk, floor and firewall that make absolutely no sense on why someone would do that.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:56 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Myron
Hello Myron, I've wrote this reply twice after contemplating it all day. I'm just finishing a a full body off restoration on my 66 roadster. This is not my first body off corvette restoration, I did a 62 in the early 90's. There are a few red flags that I would like to comment on. Limited garage space, you need at least a 2 to 2.5 garage. Money wise project creep will double cost. Time will take probably twice what you anticipate. You will also need a place to store the parts that you restore or buy. Also a place to keep discarded parts. In WI you will want to heat your garage to 60 to make a pleasant work environment. Special tools will be needed. Welder (mig) ect. I would think twice about this venture. I am 67 years old and got sick for 6 months which delayed project. My point is if you start a project like this your vette will be worth a lot less if it's in pieces, if you have to abandon the project. Now I know I will be chastised by the forum for discouragement. But you have to know your limitations with all things considered.
I will be coming to Elkhorn over the holidays and would gladly meet with you to discuss your project. PM me if interested.
Thank you,
Al
Old 12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

Its not how long it takes for a body off. Its all the "while your at it's " that take up the time.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

It takes me about 7-10 hours depending on the car and if there is rust on the body bolts. This includes taking the time to put bolts in labeled zip locks. Regardless of amount of rust, it is always a good idea to spray some penetrating oil on the bolts, especially the #3 body bolts inside the access covers of the rear wheel wells, and let them soak for a few days before getting started.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am afraid of a 2 year $30K adventure that will have virtually no effect on the value of the car. Lack of garage space is also a factor. Other than those minor concerns I am ready to get started today!

Myron
AS I tell my customers...."I can put it right back down and bolt everything back up and there you are." SO....controlling the amount of time and money is up to you. You can stop at any time.

Just to let you know...THERE IS..."A line in the sand." And that meaning...you will cross a line that you will either be forced to do IT ALL...because if you stop at that point...the end result may not be to your liking and you will regret it.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

You can get it off in less than 20 hours, but getting it back on may take 20 years.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
AS I tell my customers...."I can put it right back down and bolt everything back up and there you are." SO....controlling the amount of time and money is up to you. You can stop at any time.

Just to let you know...THERE IS..."A line in the sand." And that meaning...you will cross a line that you will either be forced to to IT ALL...because if you stop at that point...the end result may not be to your liking and you will regret it.

DUB
Words of wisdom!
Al
Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 PM
APV
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
You can get it off in less than 20 hours, but getting it back on may take 20 years.
Well said!
Al
Old 12-19-2014, 04:45 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Dub nailed it. It's so true, as so many cars I've done always turn out more expensive and taking longer time than originally thought. It's best to set expectations at the onset. If not, confusion happens.

Things I've learned in many years of project experience....

There are different ways of looking at a project. Lock in your mind your objective, and set realistic goals. Don't think that it'll be easy, or quick, or cheap. It will be NONE of the above. Time is a important factor, but we cannot change the number of working hours in a day. Some of us work a few hours per, some of us work many per day. But there are only so many in a day.

Time can limit a project in such a way that you can become discouraged, then later on disenchanted, then it can get to be a feeling of total disgust. Then you get angry at yourself and the project, feeling you can't wait to get rid of the beast. If you're doing it by yourself, for yourself, realize that time will either make or break you and your project.

Budget is in the same category. If you don't have adequate funds, the clock will run longer. IMO, when the Project drives the Money the overall mindset becomes better and feeling positive. When the Money drives the Project, expect delays and disappointment.

You can start a project with the utmost enthusiasm, all excited, can't wait to tear into it. Then before you realize it, just like in life, months, years, then even decades can pass. What you once thought was great, now becomes burdening. Reality.

Just try to think about ALL of the pieces of the puzzle be you start. Oh, and by the way, you are not alone.......many of us here have gone through exactly what you are going through. That's why we're all here trying to help eachother.

Also try to remember, main objective is FUN.

Rich
Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Also, been thinking about pulling the body off my 67.

Funny thing is that I have already replaced everything except the brake, fuel lines and the body mounts. Reading through the checklist, it seems straight forward.

My thought would be to powder coat the frame, replace the fuel/brake lines and install new mounts (which I already have).

I also want to mod the trans crossmember to make dealing with my Tremec a little easier.

Beyond that…I don't see much more…

Frank

Get notified of new replies

To How long to take body off?

Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
It takes me about 7-10 hours depending on the car and if there is rust on the body bolts. This includes taking the time to put bolts in labeled zip locks. Regardless of amount of rust, it is always a good idea to spray some penetrating oil on the bolts, especially the #3 body bolts inside the access covers of the rear wheel wells, and let them soak for a few days before getting started.

The only way to set any sort of uniform time for this task is after the point that all body mount bolts are either loose or otherwised defeated. That can consume a lot of time. Afterwards, it's mostly a straight forward process as long as you have planned out what you are lifting the body off with.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
Dub nailed it. It's so true, as so many cars I've done always turn out more expensive and taking longer time than originally thought. It's best to set expectations at the onset. If not, confusion happens.

Things I've learned in many years of project experience....

There are different ways of looking at a project. Lock in your mind your objective, and set realistic goals. Don't think that it'll be easy, or quick, or cheap. It will be NONE of the above. Time is a important factor, but we cannot change the number of working hours in a day. Some of us work a few hours per, some of us work many per day. But there are only so many in a day.

Time can limit a project in such a way that you can become discouraged, then later on disenchanted, then it can get to be a feeling of total disgust. Then you get angry at yourself and the project, feeling you can't wait to get rid of the beast. If you're doing it by yourself, for yourself, realize that time will either make or break you and your project.

Budget is in the same category. If you don't have adequate funds, the clock will run longer. IMO, when the Project drives the Money the overall mindset becomes better and feeling positive. When the Money drives the Project, expect delays and disappointment.

You can start a project with the utmost enthusiasm, all excited, can't wait to tear into it. Then before you realize it, just like in life, months, years, then even decades can pass. What you once thought was great, now becomes burdening. Reality.

Just try to think about ALL of the pieces of the puzzle be you start. Oh, and by the way, you are not alone.......many of us here have gone through exactly what you are going through. That's why we're all here trying to help eachother.

Also try to remember, main objective is FUN.

Rich
PERFECT REPLY.

I do this for a living and I can tell you....KEEPING MOTIVATED due to so many problems that can show up and need to be repaired...it can change the 'time line'. That is ONE THING that I have learned NOT to have. And that is A DEAD LINE. WHY???? Because if you have a deadline....MURPHY'S LAW will show up and throw a stick in the works...or it can be easy to 'settle for less' JUST to stay on task. NOT an option in my shop.

DUB
Old 12-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

The body off question on a C-2 is particularly more difficult to answer since the body needs to be removed to have access for certain repairs unlike the C-1. With that said, if OP is just looking to remove the body without taking IT all apart, I could see doing that to replace fuel /brake lines as original or to get to some other hard to reach items. Space IS the kicker though. Anyone who has gotten a car torn down and ready for paint (shell without removing the body) will quickly realize you would need the equivalent of a 3 car garage if you were going to pull the body as well. So, do you just want to lift the body to fix/ detail a few dedicated things on the chassis? If so, I could see this as a reasonable Winter project if you have the space. Good comments from Rich and Dub! For people new to the hobby that may be reading this, there is certainly something to be said for a rolling restoration where you drive and fix as you go. Seen too many people start with good intentions and get in way too deep and loose interest. Pilot Dan

Quick Reply: How long to take body off?