C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

looking for security for the vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:59 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default looking for security for the vette

only need 1 camera for 1 door, any recommendations for a security system with or without monitor??? thanks.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Use the one without the camera - its called: good classic car insurance coverage.

Anything else is pretty useless. A couple of years back a fella on here had his '62 stolen while people were a few feet away at dinner. And they weren't even pros apparently.
I'll bet somebody with a rollback can cart your car off easily without ever appearing on camera.

Even if you catch 'em on the camera - good luck. I'm sure this Kangaroo gas station had cameras last Sunday night: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...217-story.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-18-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Use the one without the camera - its called: good classic car insurance coverage.

Anything else is pretty useless. A couple of years back a fella on here had his '62 stolen while people were a few feet away at dinner. And they weren't even pros apparently.
I'll bet somebody with a rollback can cart your car off easily without ever appearing on camera.

Even if you catch 'em on the camera - good luck. I'm sure this Kangaroo gas station had cameras last Sunday night: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...217-story.html
Look at the picture in the link, read the car names, see if you catch an error anywhere? Repeated several times in the story.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
only need 1 camera for 1 door, any recommendations for a security system with or without monitor??? thanks.
One word- Hagerty.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Look at the picture in the link, read the car names, see if you catch an error anywhere? Repeated several times in the story.
You don't know the half of it. The Orlando Sentinel is a standing joke due to spelling, grammatical and factual errors....
Old 12-18-2014, 06:01 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

I have the insurance, just want to be able to check the door without going outside ... for example if I hear a noise at night and want to look before going outside armed.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:13 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

#1. Have good insurance
#2. I have live video of my cars in shop as well as exterior of home.
#3 .45

I can pull live video for the above from my phone, TV, computer. I always know whom is at door ect.....all cameras are motion controlled, I get instant text, and pic from camera when motion detected. Works great.

Last edited by OldKarz; 12-18-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OldKarz
#1. Have good insurance
#2. I have live video of my cars in shop as well as exterior of home.
#3 .45

I can pull live video for the above from my phone, TV, computer. I always know whom is at door ect.....all cameras are motion controlled, I get instant text, and pic from camera when motion detected. Works great.
what system brand are you using or recommend if you prefer, thanks.
mike
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Honeywell 8 camera system that was previously installed at my mothers home. I removed the system after I sold her home last year due to her passing. The main part of the system has a 500GB HD and a DVD burner. We had an alarm company install the system initially because of time constraint for me. I would look at Sams Club, Home Depot or similar to see what they offer. They are all pretty much the same. You can tie the system into to your local network for web viewing but you need to do some configuring such as assigning a static IP to the system from your router and possibly placing you cable/DSL modem into the DMZ. Just go to those places and see what they have then research the warranty / helpdesk services that the company provides then buy the one that works for you. Since you state that you only need one camera then buy the 4 camera system. One warning, one camera is never enough. You WILL add more once you have the system up and running! LOL They are easy to install but you need to plan the installation out. Also, most of them require Internet Explorer to configure from a PC due to needing ActiveX. You can configure the system without a PC by just connecting a display so that you can see what you are doing as well. Once it's up and running you can access with Macs, PC's or mobile devices but certain areas cannot be configure due to needing IE which sucks because the OS of the security system is a Linux install. Don't worry, you don't need to know Linux as it has a GUI. I can go on but you just asked about brands. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

/Tracy

Last edited by Tracy64; 12-19-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:39 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I believe most classic car insurance policies require the car to be in a locked secure facility, not outside in the driveway. Are you leaving the car outside?
Rick
Old 12-19-2014, 10:58 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 5 Foscam wireless IP cameras around the entrances to my home.

The data is continually recorded to a linux shuttle I have in a closet. The wifi IP cameras are great because you don't have to run any cables. The outdoor cameras are expensive ($200 or so), but built to handle all weather conditions. Georgia humidity is not an issue, nor the big rains.

The cameras I have mounted in my garage are indoor cameras and run about $60.

If you want to know more about how to set up an IP camera, record all data and have it accessible SECURELY from your phone anywhere in the world, PM me.

Keep in mind that alarm companies like ADT offer cameras but your camera is connected to their server and is inherently insecure. I like privacy and security.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SpartyGW; 12-19-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I use IZON from the Apple store. Color video with sound. Alerts sent to your phone for sound/motion. You can adjust sensitivity from your phone. Also has infrared for night vision. You can monitor from anywhere as long as you have cell coverage or Wi-Fi.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If your really want a good video system to watch your car:
1. Cloud and local based that records at least one week of video.
2. Have some motion sensor type lights that are active when it is dark. Most of the video camera don't work that good in the dark.

But then they just need to cut the power.....
Old 12-19-2014, 05:02 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Tracey, thanks and sorry to hear about your moms passing. thanks all, one door only garage next to house and no car not left outside.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:41 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartyGW

The data is continually recorded to a linux shuttle I have in a closet. The wifi IP cameras are great because you don't have to run any cables. The outdoor cameras are expensive ($200 or so), but built to handle all weather conditions. Georgia humidity is not an issue, nor the big rains.

If you want to know more about how to set up an IP camera, record all data and have it accessible SECURELY from your phone anywhere in the world, PM me.

Keep in mind that alarm companies like ADT offer cameras but your camera is connected to their server and is inherently insecure. I like privacy and security.
I have the same cameras I like the setup I can take pictures and put them in folder and the alarms work good ,what I cant do is check from
away from home .I have the program installed on my smart phone and laptops . I installed the out side camera deep into the overhang
to keep weather off. it works fine so far. I have Comcast internet service still haven't got it working yet .I am taking my time but if you have any ideas can you e-mail me 6split3@gmail.com .Here is some pictures I can manually take thru the program. Thanks Richard
Attached Images   

Last edited by rtruman; 12-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

LoJack.....If you live in a town that has a large police force they will have LOjack equipped cars...If you live in the out back off the grid your lojack equipped Police Car will have to come from afar.

I have two friends that had their car recovered with lojack ..one in 14 hours and one in 3 hours of the cars being taken. Both were taken with a Tow truck.

Worth the investment...
Old 12-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Rickenbach
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartyGW

Did you fart right before walking in the door?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickenbach
Did you fart right before walking in the door?
Junior looks like he is about to pass out.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for security for the vette

Quick Reply: looking for security for the vette