C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is your definition of an original car

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
.....Only if you transferred the original air in the tires after having them re-rubberized with the original nubs, saved and reused the original lead and battery acid in your restored battery, filtered and reinstalled the lubrication fluids, brake fluid and washer fluid, chemically restored your anti-freeze, internally bladdered your original coolant hoses, cleaned and reused your points, condenser, rotor, and distributor cap, and had your spark plug wires re-insulated by Packard Electric.......would I call it ALL original.
Rich, Unfortunately I can't meet your criteria.

However, I believe all my belts and hoses are the originals.
(hopefully that earns some extra points)

Many here on the forum will think I am crazy for using rubber parts that are over 50 years old,
but........"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
My car is unbelievably reliable, and runs like a top.

Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis

but........"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
My car is unbelievably reliable, and runs like a top.

Could you attribute at least some of that reliability to the hood not flying up every time the car stopped to tinker around with something that didn't need tinkering with?

I still have the hoses/belt that came off my '65. They looked very usable when I took them off. Remember when it used to be common to pull in for gas and the attendent raised the hood to check the oil and he'd come out from under the hood with this look of relief on his face that'd he'd just saved you from breaking down on the road because he'd found a weak radiator hose (on a 2-3 year old car) and would be more than happy to replace it for you while you wait?

I used to be a pump jockey and was told I could double my pay if I would do customers that way and I would quickly become a favorite employee of the station owner.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Mike, I completely agree with you.

Buried in other threads someone will occasionally say:
"these OLD CHEVYS can be very reliable"

My car is a perfect example of this.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Rich, can't blame you. We all know about reliability of some replacement parts out there.

Mike, Yup, all so true..... Not to get too, too far OT, but we have a '91 Jaguar V12 and it still has it's original engine hoses too. I keep the 37 piece spare hose set and a screwdriver in the trunk though.

Rich
p.s. BTW, our '63 had it's original lower rad hose. I replaced it when I changed the fluids. I still have the original hose, in case I get another '63.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:27 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Original -----> belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something, or to a thing at its beginning.
NO EXCEPTIONS!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Then I'd pose that the only original cars are in museums. I don't personally feel that the replacement of "consumables" alters the originality if correct parts are used: fuel/air/oil filters, radiator hoses, etc..
Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Then I'd pose that the only original cars are in museums. I don't personally feel that the replacement of "consumables" alters the originality if correct parts are used: fuel/air/oil filters, radiator hoses, etc..
If that is the case, let's just take the engine out of a taxi cab and stick it in one of these old cars. Restamp it and call it good. After all, it would be a correct year part/part number, etc. See how far you get with that one.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Where this gets really interesting is when a car has been restored a couple of times. A lot of cars were restored 25 or 30 years ago. A 25 year old NCRS restoration probably couldn't make Top Flight today.

The car is certainly not original and it's not competitive in shows. What is it?

btw- Numbers matching is just a weasel phrase. It doesn't mean the car is original. It just means the owner assembled a bunch of parts with the correct numbers and date codes.

Another favorite of mine is the Corvette that gets a Bloomington Gold award. As soon as the owner gets the car home all the original parts are sold on eBay for big dollars. They're replaced with inexpensive reproductions. The final step is to sell the car as a Bloomington Gold car. Keep in mind that the owner is really not misrepresenting the car . It did win the award.

Richard Newton
Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rfn026
Where this gets really interesting is when a car has been restored a couple of times. A lot of cars were restored 25 or 30 years ago. A 25 year old NCRS restoration probably couldn't make Top Flight today.

The car is certainly not original and it's not competitive in shows. What is it?

btw- Numbers matching is just a weasel phrase. It doesn't mean the car is original. It just means the owner assembled a bunch of parts with the correct numbers and date codes.

Another favorite of mine is the Corvette that gets a Bloomington Gold award. As soon as the owner gets the car home all the original parts are sold on eBay for big dollars. They're replaced with inexpensive reproductions. The final step is to sell the car as a Bloomington Gold car. Keep in mind that the owner is really not misrepresenting the car . It did win the award.

Richard Newton
I used to pick up sea shells of Bonita Beach and there wasn't a human or a building in sight!

I liked your answer, by the way.

Last edited by MikeM; 12-22-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
If that is the case, let's just take the engine out of a taxi cab and stick it in one of these old cars. Restamp it and call it good. After all, it would be a correct year part/part number, etc. See how far you get with that one.
(* SIGH *) Your limited experience in large scale enterprises is showing. In the aircraft industry..."consumables" are in the realm of "grease, rags and oil" and other sundries. Engines are major maintenance items....termed "repairables".

I try to be precise and you once again take it to the absurd. I won't see your response as your drivel has gotten you a prime spot on my "Ignore List". Hopefully nobody will quote you so then then I won't have to look at the stuff "second hand"...

Merry Christmas to all...
Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
For Frankie!
Lighten up on Mike. Did you ever have friend who was twice as smart as you but he liked sarcasm and ragged on you for fun? You have two choices: Put up with it and learn from his experience or ignore him and stay dumb.

Verne
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

My answer to the "original" question:

No car can be 100% original. I defer from comments like 1962 air in the tires, etc. An original car can be determined by its percentage of what's still original. Obviously, paint, interior, driveline are the critical aspects but it takes educated people for each type of vehicle who have researched the cars for years to determine just HOW original it is.
You can take a car the new Bloomington Survivor class for any and all vehicles to have it judged but who are the judges? Are they familiar with a 1958 Edsel, or a '67 Nova or are they just warm bodies picked from the crowd who think they know how to tell if something looks original or not??

I invite you to check out this program. I believe its awards really mean something.

http://www.vintagecertification.com/#!

Verne

Quick Reply: What is your definition of an original car