C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 L78 motor mount issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default 1965 L78 motor mount issues

hi there everyone, i have got my motor and trans bolted together and setting it in the car. i bought corvette central motor mounts and i seem to be having issues with them...they seem cheaply made !
i had a heck of a time getting the bolts threw them, and just a plain pain!!
i finally got them bolted and my motor sits crooked in the car. the trans mount is way off and will not bolt up.. now mind you this was a running driving car when i took it apart. i screwed up and sold my original mounts in a box of left over parts. does anyone have a part NUMBER of a mount that is proper and will fit??!! for both engine mounts and a trans mount?? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Long Island Corvette Supply

Engine Mount (original) / 38-01A / $35.00 EA

Transmission Mount (manual + Auto Trans) / 38-05 / $12.00
Old 12-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

The GM assembly manual lists the motor mounts as 3881715-16.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round
hi there everyone, i have got my motor and trans bolted together and setting it in the car. i bought corvette central motor mounts and i seem to be having issues with them...they seem cheaply made !
i finally got them bolted and my motor sits crooked in the car. the trans mount is way off and will not bolt up.. now mind you this was a running driving car when i took it apart. i screwed up and sold my original mounts in a box of left over parts. does anyone have a part NUMBER of a mount that is proper and will fit??!! for both engine mounts and a trans mount?? PLEASE HELP!!!
I think all midyears regardless of engine size used the same engine mount. The engine mounts were the same as 409 pass car, '61-'64 and many BB/Z 28 Camros, BB Novas, some 350 Camaros, etc..

Some pass car mounts looked similar and were close dimensionally but you had to force the bolts in and the engine wouldn't sit in it's cradle.

GM #3846466 is an old number. Looks like the number has been superceded to 3796050 but you need to check it out.

Your frame isn't bent by any chance, is it? If the mounts are bolted to the engine and to the frame, your transmission mount should drop very close to where it belongs without forcing anything.

Last edited by MikeM; 12-18-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 PM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think all midyears regardless of engine size used the same engine mount. The engine mounts were the same as 409 pass car, '61-'64 and many BB/Z 28 Camros, BB Novas, some 350 Camaros, etc..

Some pass car mounts looked similar and were close dimensionally but you had to force the bolts in and the engine wouldn't sit in it's cradle.

GM #3846466 is an old number. Looks like the number has been superceded to 3796050 but you need to check it out.
THANKS GUYS!!! i was wrong, i bought these mounts from paragon, i would not recommend them !
Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

THANKS GUYS!!! i was wrong, i bought these mounts from paragon, i would not recommend them !
I see Corvette Central is selling mounts with the GM part # on them I posted above.

About all replacement engine mounting is made offshore and the parts I've seen in the last ten years really look crappy compared to OEM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider myself a novice. Something else is wrong! I bought my replacement motor mounts and trans mount at O'Reilly and no problem with alignment. Also just replaced the horizontal motor mount bolts with ARP bolts with engine in car. I don't understand what is going on here. I still have my old motor mounts if you need them. 1966 327/300.
Best to you,
Al
Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 PM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by APV
I consider myself a novice. Something else is wrong! I bought my replacement motor mounts and trans mount at O'Reilly and no problem with alignment. Also just replaced the horizontal motor mount bolts with ARP bolts with engine in car. I don't understand what is going on here. I still have my old motor mounts if you need them. 1966 327/300.
Best to you,
Al
THANKS APV,these mounts i got from paragon look really cheap very thin metal, and one was even bent at the ears! a pr of plyers fixed it. they did not bolt to the block right, i had to do a lot of jiggling to get bolts started into the block, then you could get one side bolted up, but the other side would be a 1/2 in of from alignment! i put a tappered drift pin into the hole and pushed it around enough to get a bolt slid thru.. i have a pr of NAPA mounts coming in the AM friday so im gonna try those and let everyone know.. i may have to take you up on your offer, who knows?! LOL thanks again
Old 12-18-2014, 05:03 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THANKS APV,these mounts i got from paragon look really cheap very thin metal, and one was even bent at the ears! a pr of plyers fixed it. they did not bolt to the block right, i had to do a lot of jiggling to get bolts started into the block, then you could get one side bolted up, but the other side would be a 1/2 in of from alignment! i put a tappered drift pin into the hole and pushed it around enough to get a bolt slid thru.. i have a pr of NAPA mounts coming in the AM friday so im gonna try those and let everyone know.. i may have to take you up on your offer, who knows?! LOL thanks again
MY GOSH! I know I'm a novice , but I've built many SBC street rods and have never heard of this. Please keep us posted.
Thank you,
Al
Old 12-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if your not building a NCRS car I would use the 69+ LOCKING motor mounts for safety you can get them at any auto parts store
Old 12-18-2014, 05:21 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
if your not building a NCRS car I would use the 69+ LOCKING motor mounts for safety you can get them at any auto parts store
Maybe not a bad idea but the Corvette style mounts were not a problem anyway and weren't recalled along with the millions of pass cars that had a different design. Besides, you'll run into an interference problem on the ignition shielding if you use the later mount.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Maybe not a bad idea but the Corvette style mounts were not a problem anyway and weren't recalled along with the millions of pass cars that had a different design. Besides, you'll run into an interference problem on the ignition shielding if you use the later mount.
not a BB
Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

not a BB
SB's and BB's used the same mount in midyears. They weren't prone to failure.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I found this pair of Anchor original style mounts at my local Summit Racing about two years ago. This pair was made in the USA, fit perfectly and even cured a vibration problem I had. I did have to trim some rubber casting flash. They still list them in their catalog for just under $9 each.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

SB's and BB's used the same mount in midyears. They weren't prone to failure.
I said BB because you said about the mount interfering with the lower shielding. BB did not have the lower shields.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I said BB because you said about the mount interfering with the lower shielding. BB did not have the lower shields.
Okay.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM
20round
Drifting

Okay.
YES this is a l78 396 car...i will check on those anchor mounts.. thank you..
i hope that the NAPA mounts are going to correct, we will see..
the car is not bent, or damaged in any way..i believe it is just a poor china made peice!!! molded crooked, that is what im thinking...very disipointing coming from paragon i have gotten great stuff from them....im not doing a NCRS but im going about this peice by peice so that the least amount of change will have to take place to get it there for me or the next lucky person if the price is right....LOL
thanks again everyone

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 L78 motor mount issues

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
20round
Drifting

Okay.
WELL, i recieved my new NAPA mounts today, and the fit perfect!!
the motor sat right down on the frame and the bolts slid right in..trans mount bolts went right in also. so it for sure was a faulty set of mounts from paragon..bummer i threw the boxs out already i guess i will have to bite these...thanks again guys
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

WELL, i recieved my new NAPA mounts today, and the fit perfect!!
the motor sat right down on the frame and the bolts slid right in..trans mount bolts went right in also. so it for sure was a faulty set of mounts from paragon..bummer i threw the boxs out already i guess i will have to bite these...thanks again guys

Just curious. Did you happen to notice if the mounts had the same part number molded into them and pictured by Mike67NV? It wouldn't surprise me if they did..
Old 12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
20round
Drifting

Just curious. Did you happen to notice if the mounts had the same part number molded into them and pictured by Mike67NV? It wouldn't surprise me if they did..
yes they did have the same number on them!! but not the same way, it was a little smaller...i was beginning to worry, i had the frame powder coated. and started thinking they GOOFED something up...im cool now..no issues...

Quick Reply: 1965 L78 motor mount issues