C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2 X 4 Carb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM
jack_squat
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 X 4 Carb Questions

I have been sitting on a couple 2X4 factory carb setups for years just waiting for the day I had a correct Corvette or Bel Air to put them on.
More correctly, I suppose, is that I have two, 2X4 manifolds and four, Corvette WCFB carbs.
One pair of carbs are:
1955 2218S with 0-953 Main Body, 6- Airhorn and 1-1063 Throttle Body, High Choke.
1956 2366SA with 0-953 Main Body, 6-1151 Airhorn and 1-1386 Throttle Body, High Choke.
These carbs are both for single four barrel applications.
CF Member "Rustman" was kind enough to hook me up with a guy who sold me a 1956 2419S, No-choke Airhorn, # 6-1203, that is a front 2X4 application. I'm still waiting on it.

The other pair of carbs are:
1959-60 2918S 6-1396 Airhorn low choke.
1963 3500S 6-1672 Airhorn, low choke.
These carbs are also for a single four barrel application.

I have a restored, 1955 Chevy pickup, with a 1957 283, 4 speed and 4.11 gears
I plan to install one of these 2X4 setups on it, along with a Duntov 097 solid cam.
I was going to use the 2 early carbs with the 6-1203 no-choke airhorn on the front carb. They will look factory correct, are the correct years, sort of, and they won't exactly be "clones".
I'm having second thoughts though, because of the "earlyness" of the carbs. They seem pretty rare, and maybe there are Corvette guys out there dying to have the correct WCFB carb for their "NCRS" level restoration.
Are they that rare? Is it sacreligious of me to put them on a truck?
I would use the later carbs but they have low chokes and I would have to remove the choke from the front carb, leaving the machined boss and choke plate holes.

Also, what about jets, metering rods etc.? Because these carbs are all originally single applications, they must be set up quite a bit richer wouldn't they be?
Where would I find stock jet sizes etc. for 2X4s on a 283?

Please give me some feedback. If the carbs, (all four), are rare and in demand, I'll sell them to someone who really needs them. I can probably find some other WCFBs (Buick, Caddy, Olds?) and make them work.
Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The real deal 1956 carbs are one year only and should have the idle air bypass screw in the base (used briefly in early '57 too). See the picture.

They are indeed rare but there is almost no demand for them - those that want 'em prob already have them. Put the best two carbs and manifold on your car and sell off the other stuff. I wouldn't worry about some poor collector building a garage queen pining away for the right parts - those guys already have 'em or know where to get 'em.

You could spend another year screwing around trying to cobble together another clone dual quad set from bits and pieces. Here is the info I have on Carter GM/Chrysler numbers.

The 097 Duntov cam will change the vacuum characteristics of your motor and that is what Carter carbs are all about...the Carter equivalent of an accelerator pump, the counterweights on the flappers and other things will have to be changed to perform properly. The 'real deal' 270hp dual quad internals can be used as a guide... Some of that info is here: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...62csg1413.html
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
v4n2carbs2x4.pdf (490.3 KB, 289 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Carter_Carb_Numbers.doc (714.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-19-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 PM
jack_squat
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input and info provided Frankie.
It makes sense that since Corvettes didn't rust away and always had value, the really old ones have been restored decades ago.
I just didn't want to "waste" them on my truck if there was a demand, when I could use others and have the same result.
I guess I'll use the '55-'56 carbs and the better intake on my truck. I just got an ultrasonic carb cleaner so I'll restore and rebuild all four carbs and sell the newer ones and manifold as a clone setup.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 X 4 Carb Questions

Quick Reply: 2 X 4 Carb Questions