C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 Restmod Rear end Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Joepoppy54
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 Restmod Rear end Help needed

Well here I go again, Thanks to Corvette Forum member Rich my fire wall replacement is underway, Thanks Rich!

Next problem... I need a complete rear end replacement. We believe this is the original frame but the X-member has been removed. The rear end has been really hacked. Essentially what we are left with is bare frame rails at the rear. No brackets, gussets or supports of any kind. The rear that was in is just wont work and we have scrapped it.

What is the best rear end that we can put under this restomod. We need to contain costs since so much money is going for other things. We plan to put a Crate 350 ~400 HP with auto so we would like a rear that would support this and a set of wide tires ( about the width that's on newer vettes).

All ideas are appreciated.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

This doesn't answer your rear end question, but if you determine you have original frame rails with the matching VIN number, you might want to add an Art Morrison center section. The benefit is you can mount the transmission lower and have a better driveline angle:

http://www.artmorrison.com/framekits.php

If you don't have your original frame rails, you might be better off in the long run biting the bullet and getting one of the restomod frames (Billy Dawson, SRIII).
Old 12-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm putting a ford 9" in mine using the leaf springs. You could easily go to a 4 bar w coil overs.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Joepoppy54
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 rear

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
I'm putting a ford 9" in mine using the leaf springs. You could easily go to a 4 bar w coil overs.
Thanks Pop
Where is the best place to get what I need? Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To 61 Restmod Rear end Help needed

Quick Reply: 61 Restmod Rear end Help needed