C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

HELP: 65 4-speed manual transmission locked up

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 PM
jkinton
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HELP: 65 4-speed manual transmission locked up

As I was pulling into my parking space at the office garage for storage over the holidays, I shifted from first into reverse, and the car would not move - letting out on the clutch causes the engine to slow and it would certainly stall if I let out all the way.

I pulled the shifter out of reverse into the neutral position, but it won't move it to the right toward the forward gears. In that position the car moves forward. So I assume that it is stuck in first, and shifting into reverse cause the gears to work against each other.

I've read this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-lock-up.html

And it seems that it is likely that either the shifter, the linkages and/or the cam plates inside the side cover are messed up.

After the holidays, I will have to tow the car because I cannot work on it at the office garage.

My question is whether these can be fixed with the transmission in place without a lift.

If so, then I will have it towed home where I can work on it up on jack stands. If I have to take out the transmission and/or need a lift to get access to the shifter linkages and side panel, then I will have it towed to a shop that has a lift.

Thanks!

John
Old 12-21-2014, 04:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Chock the car, reach under and move the shift levers to the neutral position. (up and down). Sometimes the old shifters are a little out of adjustment and the levers don't come fully out of reverse when the 1/2 lever goes into gear. It's pretty common. If it happens again, check the alignment of the neutral gate to make sure it's centered for all three levers. It's also possible that one of the levers lost a pin and came loose from the shift rod, but more likely just jammed in forward and reverse at the same time. Don't fret, it really does happen all the time.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:12 PM
jkinton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Chock the car, reach under and move the shift levers to the neutral position. (up and down).
Thanks!

So the levers can be reached while the car is on the ground? I wasn't sure if the side of the tunnel would make it too difficult to reach.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

You can also try and shake the shift lever vigorously side/side with the reverse lockout pulled up. This will sometimes free up the linkage.

If this works, at your earliest convenience, I'd maybe pull the linkage, clean it, lube it, install it and then adjust it properly. If the linkage isn't worn out, you don't slam gears and you adjust it properly it could last you a long time.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:26 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jkinton
Thanks!

So the levers can be reached while the car is on the ground? I wasn't sure if the side of the tunnel would make it too difficult to reach.
It's not easy because you can't see and get your arm up there at the same time. It IS easier though to jack up the car and move the levers than it is to have it towed somewhere first and then do it. Remember the rear is locked up, it won't roll to the flat bed. I have actually moved the levers without jacking up the car, but if the car is low, you'll have to do it by feel. With the shifter in the neutral position and all three levers pointing vertical, you'll be back in business.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 12-21-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Here's a picture someone posted of what you're looking at. You'll probably find that the reverse lever (farthest to the right and shortest lever in this picture) is still in reverse. But the 1/2 lever could also be still engaged, check that first since you said it locked up when you shifted INTO reverse when it locked. It sounds like it never came fully out of first when you moved it to reverse. Make sure the lever farthest to the left is vertical with shifter in neutral, if not move it vertical.

Name:  090-Jan2001-MuncieWithMuncie.jpg
Views: 2924
Size:  47.3 KB

Last edited by 65GGvert; 12-21-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:42 PM
jkinton
Instructor

Thanks!

I tried Mike's suggestion last night after it first locked up to no avail.

Tomorrow, I'll try to reach them while it's on the ground. I don't want to jack it up because the office property manager really frowns on us doing any work in the garage. And the security guards, while great to have for keeping the car there safely, are not flexible about letting us work on cars there, even after hours.

If I can't reach the levers while its on the ground, I should be able to drive it up on a flat bed in first gear. And I have wheel dollies for getting it off the truck at home.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Sorry, I forgot the part where you said it would move forward. You may find that the shift rod for 1/2 has come out of the lever. I had that happen once and drove the car home in first and put it back. Surely the security guards wouldn't count a situation like this as "working on your car at work".
Your situation is a little different from being locked in forward and reverse at the same time. I think yours just isn't coming out of first.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:55 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks!

I tried Mike's suggestion last night after it first locked up to no avail.

Tomorrow, I'll try to reach them while it's on the ground. I don't want to jack it up because the office property manager really frowns on us doing any work in the garage. And the security guards, while great to have for keeping the car there safely, are not flexible about letting us work on cars there, even after hours.

If I can't reach the levers while its on the ground, I should be able to drive it up on a flat bed in first gear. And I have wheel dollies for getting it off the truck at home.
Sounds like the office property manager needs to find a pinch of the old Holiday Spirit in his soul...could be HIS vehicle stuck in someone else's driveway someday..."sorry, no maintenance here" is moronic, especially when all you might have to do is jiggle that first gear rod a few times and be out of there. Merry Christmas to you, bah hum bug to the property manager. He must drive a Prius.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:57 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You can also try and shake the shift lever vigorously side/side with the reverse lockout pulled up. This will sometimes free up the linkage.

If this works, at your earliest convenience, I'd maybe pull the linkage, clean it, lube it, install it and then adjust it properly. If the linkage isn't worn out, you don't slam gears and you adjust it properly it could last you a long time.

Sometimes my shifter will try to do the same thing coming out of reverse.....a firm open palmed whack on the left side of the shifter ball is all it needs.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:08 PM
jkinton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63redvette
Sounds like the office property manager needs to find a pinch of the old Holiday Spirit in his soul...could be HIS vehicle stuck in someone else's driveway someday..."sorry, no maintenance here" is moronic, especially when all you might have to do is jiggle that first gear rod a few times and be out of there. Merry Christmas to you, bah hum bug to the property manager. He must drive a Prius.
Hahaha! They won't care if all I have to do is align the 1st gear lever while the car is on the ground. But unfortunately, there's some problem history with other tenants working on cars. And I want to keep the security guards happily paying close attention to my car when I'm not around. So jacking the car up is a no-no, even at Christmas.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hahaha! They won't care if all I have to do is align the 1st gear lever while the car is on the ground. But unfortunately, there's some problem history with other tenants working on cars. And I want to keep the security guards happily paying close attention to my car when I'm not around. So jacking the car up is a no-no, even at Christmas.
So if anyone has a flat tire on property, they hire David Copperfield to levitate it??? (All in fun...sure hope you get that thing out of there.)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 PM
jkinton
Instructor

I was able to move the first gear lever to neutral with the car on the ground, before being spotted by any security guards...

Thanks everyone for your help, especially 65GGvert!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Good deal! Next time you can get it on a lift, check that the neutral gate lines up at the bottom of the shifter for all three gears. The handle should slide freely from left to right (with lockout tee lifted) through all three levers without binding or rubbing. I'd take the 1/2 rod loose and then put the lever in neutral along with the shifter and make sure the 1/2 rod slides freely in and out of the hole in the lever. In other words, make sure the lever is FULLY in neutral when the shifter is.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP:
Glad you got it fixed. You can always disconnect the linkage rod from the transmission sidecover and use a wrench to force it in/out of gear to eliminate the shifter as the problem. Chock the tires please.

Other causes of not shifting:
Broken shift fork
1st gear seized on the mainshaft
Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a '67 Chevelle SS that would get stuck in 4th gear. When the trans was shifted into reverse it would lock, just like yours. My problem was the original shifter being worn; replaced it with a Hurst shifter and never had the problem again.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: 65 4-speed manual transmission locked up

Quick Reply: HELP: 65 4-speed manual transmission locked up