C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Borgeson PS Steering Pump flex...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:14 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Borgeson PS Steering Pump flex...

Background: I added the Burgeon PS unit to my 67 small block a while ago and was hopeful to improve the feel of the steering. (All other parts of the suspension and steering components/bushings were replaced just before this install). The alignment has been done by a knowledgable corvette shop and still the whole event was a disappointment, because my steering still felt "mushy" and not much different than what I had with a stock PS system.

Issue: However, a few weeks ago I was under the hood doing some tuning and the person helping me happened to rotate the steering wheel and I saw the entire Burgeon steering pump assembly twist/flex side to side...as if the pressure on the system while sitting still was causing the unit to twist. I don't recall the old/original ever twisting or exhibiting ANY signs of movement.

Questions:

1. In seeing this Burgeon unit flex/twist, it seems to me that this is NOT supposed to happen? But I don't know for sure.

2. It also seems to me that the flex/twist I am seeing is contributing to the "mushy" steering I am feeling?

3. I retorqued the mounting bolts and they are tight...maybe I should add some larger flat washers to the mounting bolts to help distribute the load in hopes the flex/twist will stop?

Curious what others think?

Cheers,

Frank
Old 12-26-2014, 08:07 AM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you talking about the pump or the steering box? My steering box "twists" on hard right or left only. It would seem stiffening would help, not washers, but 1 solid load spreading plate instead.

The "mushy" feel could come from caster specs. Borgeson power steering likes a lot of caster and that really is one of the benefits of using it. The stock a-arms are not capable of bringing the caster into Borgeson recommended specs. This most likely has nothing to do with your problem.

If you had "mushy" steering before then I would suspect a problem elsewhere because you changed the steering box and the problem persists. I also don't think it has anything to do with any "twist" you noticed for the same reason.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:11 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Background: I added the Burgeon PS unit to my 67 small block a while ago and was hopeful to improve the feel of the steering. (All other parts of the suspension and steering components/bushings were replaced just before this install). The alignment has been done by a knowledgable corvette shop and still the whole event was a disappointment, because my steering still felt "mushy" and not much different than what I had with a stock PS system.

Issue: However, a few weeks ago I was under the hood doing some tuning and the person helping me happened to rotate the steering wheel and I saw the entire Burgeon steering pump assembly twist/flex side to side...as if the pressure on the system while sitting still was causing the unit to twist. I don't recall the old/original ever twisting or exhibiting ANY signs of movement.

Questions:

1. In seeing this Burgeon unit flex/twist, it seems to me that this is NOT supposed to happen? But I don't know for sure.

2. It also seems to me that the flex/twist I am seeing is contributing to the "mushy" steering I am feeling?

3. I retorqued the mounting bolts and they are tight...maybe I should add some larger flat washers to the mounting bolts to help distribute the load in hopes the flex/twist will stop?

Curious what others think?

Cheers,

Frank

I've seen few conversions on the C3 section where they cut out the frame where you bolt on the steering unit to the frame and welded a thicker reinforced piece to take the load. I'm watching this place to see if others have come across the same issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson PS Steering Pump flex...

Quick Reply: Borgeson PS Steering Pump flex...