C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Side Pipe Cover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 AM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Side Pipe Cover Questions

A friend has offered to sell me a set of used side pipes and 2 sets of side pipe covers for my 65' L79.

Do the pipes or covers have numbers on them?

How would I know if they are OE or Repo?

What is a fair price for the pipes?

What is a fair price for a set of the covers?

Thank you,

Phil
Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

The pipes did not have numbers on them. There was a label wrapped around the pipes, with a part number when the pipes were new, but once they were used the label burned off. The label was placed on the straight pipe, just past the bend. On pipes that haven't seen much use, the pipe may be a different color, where the label was.

The rocker panels didn't have a part number, and I don't believe the aluminum covers do either. There might be a number on the fiberglass insulation, but it would be the insulation's part number, not the complete cover assembly's.

Up to about 4 or 5 years ago, the repro covers were coming off of GM's molds, so they were pretty much identical to originals. The only give away to repros was some slight marks on the front bends of the covers, from wear on the tool used to stamp them. The newer repros are nearly perfect, but some people claim the color of the insulation used is wrong.

As a baseline, good used covers are probably worth about $500 a pair, up and down from there, depending on condition. Good solid used pipes, with decent chrome on the tips, might be worth $300 a pair, and more if you could identify them as GM's.

$800 for pipes and covers, is about half what new ones go for, which is fair for a good used set.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The pipes did not have numbers on them. There was a label wrapped around the pipes, with a part number when the pipes were new, but once they were used the label burned off. The label was placed on the straight pipe, just past the bend. On pipes that haven't seen much use, the pipe may be a different color, where the label was.:
The GM side pipes for my 1967 car have part numbers on each pipe, as well as a "W" for Walker. The GM part numbers are located very close to where the pipes turn horizontal and run along the body.

It is possible that later sidepipes did not have these part numbers, but the OP can check for them. Also for the "W" for Walker….the company that made the exhaust pipe.

Larry
Old 12-28-2014, 03:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
The GM side pipes for my 1967 car have part numbers on each pipe, as well as a "W" for Walker. The GM part numbers are located very close to where the pipes turn horizontal and run along the body.

It is possible that later sidepipes did not have these part numbers, but the OP can check for them. Also for the "W" for Walker….the company that made the exhaust pipe.

Larry
I believe Service replacement sidepipes had the part number and a "W" on them.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I believe Service replacement sidepipes had the part number and a "W" on them.
John:

There is no question that the side pipes on my 1967 car are GM service replacement pipes and not factory installed originals. However, they are from the mid-1970's time period (about 40 years old).

The GM side pipes I have seen all have the part number and W logo. I also see newer GM service replacements for sale with the white part number stickers on them. Some (or all) of these also have the part number stamped into the pipe.

I guess there are just not too many factory installed side pipes left (with no part numbers) on these cars after 50 years of service for me to see/observe/judge any of them.

Thanks for the information.

Larry
Old 12-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Thank you - all- for the reply

Just what I needed

Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Side Pipe Cover Questions

Quick Reply: Side Pipe Cover Questions