C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 Pilot car on Flee Bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 60 Pilot car on Flee Bay

Anyone bidding on it??? What do you think?? If I wasn't building a new house I would be on it? Number 2 car . No pictures of the heads . Dave
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Red-1960-corvette-s-fuel-injected-aluminum-head-project-/331433468288?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d2af96180&item=331433468288&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I am no expert but the stamp pad looks redone to me.

Doug
Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

A question of the owner gets the answer that the FI unit is a "7320", something else that Dr Ed might object to on an 002 car.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt it is a hundred thousand dollar plus car. From what I read they didn't release any with aluminum heads. If this car is 100% big name buyers would be sending transports at triple the e bay bids.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 AM
redsplitwindow
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 60

Per Fuel Injector restorer J Degrgory and I believe he helped design the original Rochester Injection,And Leading NCRS judge in this area the 7017320 is correct?
Also only unit listed in NCRS judging guide?
Problem with early cars,who really knows.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

If this car is real the big dogs will be all over this. If this car sells below $100,000 then something is wrong here.

We need to hear about those aluminum heads. Where is Noland Adams when we need him?

Richard Newton
Old 01-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by redsplitwindow
Per Fuel Injector restorer J Degrgory and I believe he helped design the original Rochester Injection,And Leading NCRS judge in this area the 7017320 is correct?
I have no idea when the first 7017320 units started appearing, but the finned topped 7017250 units (which are fairly rare) were correct for 59-61.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

1960 VIN #1 has a flat top fuel injection unit:

http://www.c1registry.com/index.php?...te&car_id=2766
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I am a bit puzzled by that VIN tag.

Admittedly this is the earliest 1960 VIN tag that I have seen, but all of the others (earliest was something like 342) had the digits embossed in the tag, not stamped.

Yes, even the early 60 cars with the VIN tag in the door jam were embossed.

Can anyone confirm that stamped digits is correct for very early 60 cars?

Last edited by emccomas; 01-06-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:44 AM
redsplitwindow
Pro

Default 60

I own the car.
With that said,I have found and spoke with the guy on the registration from 1973 he bought the car in 1970 and he lives in South Carolina.
He remembers buying the car but can't remember the people's names,so that is where my prior owner search ended.I had Info wanted ad for months in craiglsist including Rochester NY because I was told it was possibly a Rochester Fuel Injection car.
Rochester is now called Delphi I have emails from a current worker at Delphi who possibly worked for Rochester do some digging in there
Archives which if you call them they tell you they don't have any but they do.He found a micro fiche cassette or reel labeled 64-65 test cars.
Earliest car on the reel was a 62 corvette and lowest serial number was
45 which was a Chevelle or Malibu he informed me if the car came thru there it would take him decades to find it.I have several emails from him.
I contacted Dave Mcclennan who was Zora Duntov predecessor and was
At GM in 59 but did not recall my car particularly but told me it was a
"Very Sigificant Car" I have those emails also.
I looked up Nolan Adams contact info and had to pay a fee or join some club can't quite remember,called it quits there.Contacted Al Greening for his services on Aunthenicating the block,his response was he does not do
C1 blocks so that ended there.
The block is standard deck heighth has never been decked reproached and restamped and you can still see where the old head gaskets have faded the deck surface,you don't duplicate that.Ive been thru this before with a 67 Z28 I had and a 68 Baldwin Motion camaro.
Gerry Mcneish in the Camaro world is your Noland Adams and Al Greening rolled into one.He took digital photos went home blue up each numeric until it was about 4' and checked all the fonts on the numerics and also checked the depths of the broach marks.Broach marks overa 50 year period due to wear and errosion are not as deep today as they would have been back then and that's something a professional is looking for .
This Block is the real deal I tried to get the best in the business to authenticate it .
The guy that bought the car in 70 informed me that the car had a carburetor on it when he purchased it and the injection unit was missing which was common back then because a lot of them never ran correctly and back then barometer changes and sea level made a difference.
With that said John Degregory who worked at Rochester and is the leading authority on Fuel Injection and restored the Fuel unit for serial number 00001 says the 7017320 is correct,but my serial ID is later than it should be and that would be corrected when the unit was restored.
I knew it wasn't original after I spoke with a previous owner.
The previous owner had no clue what he had he didn't even realize the car
Was serial number 00002 until I emailed him a picture of the registration
With his name and former address on it.
Vin tag has been authenticated by John Degregory and if you google the
following 1959 corvette vin tag then click on images you will find a 1959 corvette vin number 06646 a NCRS Top Flight with same style vin tag
Embossed Chevrolet and stamped numerics.
The Aluminum heads were not on the car when I bought the car.
I purchased them from a gentleman in I believe Kentucky.
They are originals they have been welded on and I believe seri enable after they have been machined for valve guides.
Two problems with the original head,one they never had valve guides
Two aluminum seats for the valves to bang against and then there's the alloy problem also.
I've tried to document the car I have attempted to call Nolan I contacted
Al Grenning,John Degregory,Terry Michealis,Gary Nabors,Kevin
from Long Island Corvette all the top guys,if I was forging something
I sure as hell would not have contacted the best of the best.
Nothing to hide,car is real,they stand where 99% of you stand
"I just don't know" I believe one of there hang ups were that it didn't have Big Brakes,which it don't and I believe it's on the original frame and suspension and I wasn't going to add it.
I also wasn't going to offer previous owner compensation to lie and state something about the car that he wasn't factual about.
My opinion is the following If the Head guy in charge lies and second in command agrees it's eithet Law,History or Gospel and at times due to
that it has ruined the judge mental factors in a car like this,because everyone is voting No cant be.
Truth I believe is 55years ago this car was produced engineers at testing
We're say 40 so they would be 90 well obviously the gauranteed 100%
Truth about this car will never be known and that's sad.
But there's NCRS guys faking them 67 427/435hp cars and getting them documented,faking paper work etc,sorry if it hurts but it's the truth and
Most of us are aware of it.
My price is reasonable,it is what it is I might have offended some in my
remarks,but it's how I feel and I won't apologize for telling the forum
How I feel and what I have did to document the car.
Here's the deal we agree on a purchase price you fly whomever you like in
If he does not confirm the originality of the block and vin tag I will pay his price.I also stated on eBay it had wrong transmission and center section,
I could have waited until they were done and passed it on as the original transmission and center section have been restored which I didnt.
If your interested in contacting me about purchasing the car you can PM
me here or my phone number is listed in the ebay ad.I really don't have a lot of time,all the major parts are there it's a full blown project.If spelling is off or grammar is not correct sorry I'm on the go.
Dave

Last edited by redsplitwindow; 01-07-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Thanks for the scoop, Dave, it looks like a neat car and sounds like you have done everything possible to sleuth its origins. I think Jack Podell was selling a set of those heads, I hope you didn't pay anything close to the $25K he was asking for them. I think they had cast dates from 1959, if I remember correctly. Even if your car came from the factory with cast iron heads due to the well known production difficulties with the aluminum heads, if it is a real CZ block, that would be a true find making this a significant car. Hopefully some prior owner didn't gang stamp an over the counter block back in the day. I'm not skeptical of the VIN, its entirely plausible that the embossing machine was not ready to go on the first day of production and they used the 59 stamp machine to make this one. If you found the owner on No. 0001 and checked his tag, you could verify for sure.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

http://www.jackpodellfuelinjections....C-005S_jpg.htm

http://www.ncrs.org/forums/showthrea...um-Head-Fuelie

Last edited by Loren Smith; 01-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 PM
redsplitwindow
Pro

Default 60

Problem is everyone is skeptical on a car like this,because of
Fakes.
The Vin tag was verified by Kevin McKay and Terry Michealis
I honestly don't remember if I set a pic to Degregory or not
I think I did but can't remember.
Dave
Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Dave;

The 59 tag you referenced should be stamped. All 59 VIN tags were stamped.

As far as I know, 60 VIN tags were embossed. I have a picture of, and posted a picture of, tag 342, which is embossed. That is the earliest 60 VIN tag that I can attest to.

Very very early 60 VIN tags could be stamped, I just don't know. But I have never seen a 60 VIN tag stamped, until now.

This is just one of many things that will generate some discussion about this car. Discussion is a good thing, it clarifies things.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:21 PM
redsplitwindow
Pro

Default 60

I'm fine with "discussion"
Too many people refer to a stamp pad as "redone" or "restamped"
When they don't know what a real one actually looks like or the depth of
50 year old broach marks or the size or font of each numeric that's A.
B one of the above posters sent me something thru ebay that I didn't quite
Understand,Or deserve if what I'm thinking is what he was aiming at
In regards to not posting answers to questions asked by ebay members?
That's my right not to,and I have a 66 corvette in ebays completed listings
Where I accidentally disclosed publically what I was privately disclosing
A reserve price.
I called ebay to have the Info removed and they didn't so I had that feature turned off.
That would be Desertpilgrim.
I took as I was avoiding answering publically a question?
Correct me if I'm wrong "Pilgrim"
That's why I listed everything I did,should answer most questions.
Vin tag once again was verified by Terry Michealis of Pro Team
And Kevin McKay who is a leading authority on corvettes.
I also originally offered the car to Pro Team and they passed.
Continue the discussion,I will only be available by phone tomorrow
I will be traveling.
Don't get me wrong I have gained a lot of info from this forum,including
Your question on the stamping of the vin tag,my book says embossed for all years.
Anyone with direct contact to Nolan Adams would be great,If it's something that isn't public knowledge PM me.
His blessing though means the price of rice patties will sky rocket

Get notified of new replies

To 60 Pilot car on Flee Bay

Old 01-07-2015, 04:59 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

With all due respect, that pad doesn't look right.

Maybe it is because of the crappy photo. I see no evidence of broach marks, though they may very well be there,and show up in a clear photo, or to the naked eye, and the characters almost look laser cut, as there is no displaced metal around the characters.

That could also be caused by a very light decking that removed just a few .001" of surface without removing the stamping.

The blurry photo is what jumps out at me and and raised my suspicions. Blurry photos can be from taking pics with cell phones, not knowing how to use a camera, or the camera won't focus that close, or attempts to conceal something. I would think, if you are after the Big Bucks,and it is the Real Deal, you would have at least taken some decent pics of something so potentially important.

Again, I am no expert, but I do have eyes,and can compare pics of known authentic pads to this picture. And of course, it isn't a very good picture.

Doug
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Dave, use the "macro" feature on your digital camera (the little flower symbol) so you can get a good, crisp, in-focus close-up image.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by redsplitwindow
Early cars in 1960 to around at least VIN #3600 used 7017300 units for 290 HP cars; lower horse used the 7017250. References are pit pictures of the 2 Cunningham cars and 1 Camoradi car at Sebring, all showing finned top 7300 units. The Camoradi car continued with a 7300 unit throughout its racing life, the 3 Cunningham cars received new engines for the race at Le Mans that used "massaged" 7320 units.
When the Cunningham cars returned CONUS, the racing motors were shipped to MI for evaluation and examination and the original motors were re-installed. Racing lore has it that 2 of the cars got their motors interchanged. Further reference for the 7300 units is a picture of Don Gist with the Miller Cunningham car in drag race mode, sporting a finned 7300 unit.

Quick Reply: 60 Pilot car on Flee Bay