C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Headlight Panel Alignment

Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Headlight Panel Alignment

I noticed my lights are set to low to see well at night. I tried to adjust them but I ran out of adjustment. My panels are aligned perfect when closed. It appears that the alignment is not correct when open. I read all the postings but I haven't found anything to tell me how far they should open. I also looked in the service manual.
Can anyone tell me the correct position for the panel when it is open and how you know when you have it set correctly?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

This is primarily to bump you back to the top because it's been so long since I last touched mine that I don't completely trust my memory.

But, at the risk of a faulty memory I believe the "V" bracket that has an adjustment screw to set the closed position, also has an adjustment screw on the other leg to set the open position. Yours apparently need to be adjusted to opened slightly more and raise the light position.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:55 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you are adjusting the two screws on each headlight bulb and ran out of adjustment, then you need to adjust the Y stop bolts to allow the headlights to rotate open slightly more, then re-adjust the screws on the bulbs. The Y stop bolts are accessible with the hood open, but it is not much fun, unless you are a dentist and used to working with a mirror!!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

You want the face of the bucket within +/- 2 degrees of vertical with the bucket in the full open position.

It's spelled out in the AIM: UPC 12 / A 3.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:55 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
This is primarily to bump you back to the top because it's been so long since I last touched mine that I don't completely trust my memory.

But, at the risk of a faulty memory I believe the "V" bracket that has an adjustment screw to set the closed position, also has an adjustment screw on the other leg to set the open position. Yours apparently need to be adjusted to opened slightly more and raise the light position.
Yes it needs to open more. Without another vette to compare to it wasn't till I tried the adjustment screw on the lamps that made me realize it needed to open more.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by nassau66427
You want the face of the bucket within +/- 2 degrees of vertical with the bucket in the full open position.

It's spelled out in the AIM: UPC 12 / A 3.
Thanks for giving me the measurement or degrees. If it is in my service manual I missed it.
Thanks again
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrm5657
If you are adjusting the two screws on each headlight bulb and ran out of adjustment, then you need to adjust the Y stop bolts to allow the headlights to rotate open slightly more, then re-adjust the screws on the bulbs. The Y stop bolts are accessible with the hood open, but it is not much fun, unless you are a dentist and used to working with a mirror!!
So there is no need in removing the motor?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

"AIM" - Assembly Instruction Manual.

If you don't have one, you should really consider getting one.

It and the Chassis Service Manual are the two most frequently used "tools" in my tool box.

No need to remove the headlight motor to make your adjustments.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by garrbw
Thanks for giving me the measurement or degrees. If it is in my service manual I missed it.
Thanks again
Not the service manual - you need the 1965 Corvette Assembly Instruction Manual; all of the usual Corvette vendors have them, as does the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:13 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Not the service manual - you need the 1965 Corvette Assembly Instruction Manual; all of the usual Corvette vendors have them, as does the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org.

Thanks
I ordered one today

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Headlight Panel Alignment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65 Headlight Panel Alignment