C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Headlight Panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 AM
garrbw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Headlight Panels

I noticed my lights are set to low to see well at night. I tried to adjust them but I ran out of adjustment. My panels are aligned perfect when closed. It appears that the alignment is not correct when open. I read all the postings but I haven't found anything to tell me how far they should open. I also looked in the service manual.
Can anyone tell me the correct position for the panel when it is open and how you know when you have it set correctly?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 AM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Setting Headlights

Originally Posted by garrbw
I noticed my lights are set to low to see well at night. I tried to adjust them but I ran out of adjustment. My panels are aligned perfect when closed. It appears that the alignment is not correct when open. I read all the postings but I haven't found anything to tell me how far they should open. I also looked in the service manual.
Can anyone tell me the correct position for the panel when it is open and how you know when you have it set correctly?
I think you may have to use a little trial and error to get the lights aimed where you want them. If they are now aimed too low, you can raise them by turning the dedicated bolt on the "Y" stop first. You may know there are two dedicated adjustment bolts on the "Y", one for the open position and one for the closed position.You are probably limiting the open position. It will not take too many turns to make a big difference. You may also want to return the headlight adjusting screws to a more suitable position so as to make final adjustments easier. Let me know how you make out. Best...
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

The service manual has a beam alignment diagram giving you the locations at a distance of 25 feet. Works well if you have a level surface that long.

Billy has identified the problem for you. Follow his suggestion to adjust the up-down headlight screws to mid-travel, then adjust the "up" Y-stop bolt so the bucket stops at 90* to the ground.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I assume you used the correct headlight aiming procedure in the shop manual ... correct ? I did my '63 headlights and having proper tire pressure and a level surface is a must along with dark surroundings and a bright surface to illuminate. Sometimes that 'cone' of light used for the adjustment can be a little vague to spot precisely.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:27 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
I think you may have to use a little trial and error to get the lights aimed where you want them. If they are now aimed too low, you can raise them by turning the dedicated bolt on the "Y" stop first. You may know there are two dedicated adjustment bolts on the "Y", one for the open position and one for the closed position.You are probably limiting the open position. It will not take too many turns to make a big difference. You may also want to return the headlight adjusting screws to a more suitable position so as to make final adjustments easier. Let me know how you make out. Best...

Thanks for responding. Do you think it is possible to make the adjustment without removing the hood? I will let you know how it comes out. It will at least another week before I get a chance to work on it.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
The service manual has a beam alignment diagram giving you the locations at a distance of 25 feet. Works well if you have a level surface that long.

Billy has identified the problem for you. Follow his suggestion to adjust the up-down headlight screws to mid-travel, then adjust the "up" Y-stop bolt so the bucket stops at 90* to the ground.

Yes I have a great shop to work in. I do read the service manual but I just couldn't see where it told how the panel should open.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM
garrbw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I assume you used the correct headlight aiming procedure in the shop manual ... correct ? I did my '63 headlights and having proper tire pressure and a level surface is a must along with dark surroundings and a bright surface to illuminate. Sometimes that 'cone' of light used for the adjustment can be a little vague to spot precisely.

Yes sir I measured the distance plus I marked the wall where my buddy's 62 vette lights hit the wall. I know that is not the exact measurement for mine but it was a good start.
Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Headlight Panels

Quick Reply: 65 Headlight Panels