C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to Change over to LED lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I like Bruce's products for my C1.

Fellow forum member Radioflyer has great LEDs for the later "plug in" socket bulbs (I have them on the C5), but the flasher must also be changed (or load resistors added).

Plasticman
We can get LEDs for earlier model cars. We just need to know what base you need.

Also you may be able to get away with replacing your flasher with an LED flasher and not have to install resistors to prevent hyperflash.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I changed my '64 coupe tailights to those created by ohiovette, and haven't had any issues. Love that they are much brighter than the originals.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default LED's effect on flashers.

Based on previous experience with LED's the rule of thumb is that if you replace incandescent tail lights with LED's and retain the incandescent front parking lights (1156) they will flash using a standard flasher.
Problems can occur with different types of flashers, such as standard, heavy duty or loud flashers (so you can hear them).
In addition different types of bulbs can create different resistance values which can cause erratic flashing.
When both front and rear lights are changed to LED,s the resistance in the lighting circuit is to low to operate the standard flasher. As mentioned a set of load resistors can be installed to simulate the bulb resistance. This is OK but requires cutting into the wiring harness to insert the resisters, in addition they will generate heat.
By using a electronic flasher the flashing problem is easily solved.
These flashers are available at most auto parts stores.
I usually suggest a electronic flasher when changing to LED's to eliminate potential problems.
Bruce B
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I took a chance and put a set of these $15 LEDs in my 66 yesterday and they work great. So that's the answer.

Although these seem to work great in my 66 I had difficulty in another car and discovered the turn signal circuit was bleeding voltage over to the parking light circuit inside of the bulb, causing all 4 lights front and rear to flash. Apparently their quality is hit or miss so I would avoid them.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I think if you get the dash gauges brighter via the LEDs you prob have gotten the most bang for the buck. Not sure I would even worry about Hi BEAM indicators or turn signals... They are used so seldom that I can't remember ever having one of these dash indicator bulbs burn out in any car I've driven and they are bright enough without LEDs....

Quick Reply: How to Change over to LED lighting?