C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to Change over to LED lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:04 AM
cmyc2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Change over to LED lighting?

I,m thinking of changing tail lights over to LED's. What all has to be done to make this change? I have a 64 coupe.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I do that on all my classic cars. You can get the LED tail lights from Bruce (ohiovette) on the forum here along with an electronic signal flasher. Installation is all of 20 minutes if you buy the complete weather-proofed tail light lens with integrated circuit board and not the separate LED bulb.

On a '63 I kept hitting the larger, electronic flasher with my left foot and dis-lodging it...so I made up some short wire 'extensions' with spade connectors to go into the fuse box and allow me to move the flasher up out of the way where I could zip-tie it to a dash support

LEDs are a no brainer and much more visible to those tail-gating jerks jabbering on their cell phones.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-08-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I do that on all my classic cars. You can get the LED tail lights from Bruce (ohiovette) on the forum here along with an electronic signal flasher. Installation is all of 20 minutes if you buy the complete weather-proofed tail light lens with integrated circuit board and not the separate LED bulb.

On a '63 I kept hitting the larger, electronic flasher with my left foot and dis-lodging it...so I made up some short wire 'extensions' with spade connectors to go into the fuse box and allow me to move the flasher up out of the way where I could zip-tie it to a dash support

LEDs are a no brainer and much more visible to those tail-gating jerks jabbering on their cell phones.
I bought my LED taillight replacements from Bruce and they are great. Much brighter than the original bulbs. These are a big safety feature in my opinion.

-- Steve
Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Will the 1157 replacement LED bulbs fit in our GM bulb sockets and clear? I know that Walmart sells a set of red Pilot LED bulbs for 1157 replacements for about $15 which is pretty inexpensive. I tried them on my Cobra replica and they are very bright as tail lights although the brake and flasher circuit are not as bright as Superbrightled bulbs.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
cmyc2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is ohiovette and how do I get in touch with him?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:15 PM
L36 rag
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

read this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...with-pics.html
Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by cmyc2
Who is ohiovette and how do I get in touch with him?
its actually ohiovet (I mispelled it above)and he is a forum member so you can just PM him.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:18 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Bruce (ohiovette) is a great guy too! He answered my questions about LED's for 67 back-up lights and also sent me bulbs for the front parking lights. He didn't think they would be an improvement over incandescent bulbs and was correct.
Rick
Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Will the 1157 replacement LED bulbs fit in our GM bulb sockets and clear? I know that Walmart sells a set of red Pilot LED bulbs for 1157 replacements for about $15 which is pretty inexpensive. I tried them on my Cobra replica and they are very bright as tail lights although the brake and flasher circuit are not as bright as Superbrightled bulbs.
I took a chance and put a set of these $15 LEDs in my 66 yesterday and they work great. So that's the answer.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cmyc2
I,m thinking of changing tail lights over to LED's. What all has to be done to make this change? I have a 64 coupe.
Check your private messages.
Bruce B
Old 01-11-2015, 03:22 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those PILOT LED lights got some pretty bad reviews on amazon. I'll be interested if you can update this thread in a month and let us know if they are still working.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I like Bruce's products for my C1.

Fellow forum member Radioflyer has great LEDs for the later "plug in" socket bulbs (I have them on the C5), but the flasher must also be changed (or load resistors added).

Plasticman
Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Those PILOT LED lights got some pretty bad reviews on amazon. I'll be interested if you can update this thread in a month and let us know if they are still working.
I've put them in my ERA Cobra and my 66 but this time of the year I'm probably not going to know much more in another month. I did put a set of $50 Superbrightleds in my 67 GTX because they would not function properly in my ERA. They are the better 1157 LEDS replacement bulb but at over 3 times as much cost the $15/pr PILOT are an option.

From my own experiences in trying to get the Superbrightleds to function in my ERA (it would take a lot of time to recap) and from various stories I've seen on numerous forums with LED 1157 replacements in general, proper operation is sometimes a hit or miss experience.

The low point of experiences on my ERA was when I tried one of the Pilots in my front turn signal just because it has a screw off lense and I wanted a quick test - plugged it in and turned on the turn signal and all four lights flashed in unison (and it doesn't have emergency flashers). Installed them in the rear and they functioned perfectly.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I got a set of the red tail light LED assemblies (lens/LED unit) from Zips, part # L-560 which list for $28.95 each. 5 minute plug and play. Installed about 2 years ago and no issues. MUCH brighter than incandescent and look stock until of course they light up.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

what are you guys using for a flasher with the leds.

I seem to have issues with the flasher since i instaleld my leds.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
what are you guys using for a flasher with the leds.

I seem to have issues with the flasher since i instaleld my leds.
EF-32RL flasher....available most anywhere. I had to make up some leads and reverse the way they normally fit for my '61.

IIRC correctly, I didn't have to do that on my '63 for some reason.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

EF-32RL flasher....available most anywhere. I had to make up some leads and reverse the way they normally fit for my '61.

IIRC correctly, I didn't have to do that on my '63 for some reason.
i think that's the one i have and it has a base that reverses the polarity will chekc in am.

But was still having issues with it flashing real slow.
Thakns

Get notified of new replies

To How to Change over to LED lighting?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
i think that's the one i have and it has a base that reverses the polarity will chekc in am.

But was still having issues with it flashing real slow.
Thakns
Yeah - a forum member informed me last night that this company that makes the flasher came out with an adapter base that flips the polarity.

Dang - wish I had know that..I spent 1/2 day with two different flashers trying to figure out the deal and had to get an internal circuit diagram of the flasher to come up with my Rube Goldberg rig
So, I now have an adapter on the way

FYI - the old mechanical flashers require resistors somewhere in the lighting circuit to generate the load to activate them. Sometimes, if you just change the rear lights to LEDs; the front bulb filaments still have enough "load" to make the old flasher work; sometimes not.

If you go full LEDs on all four corners your old flasher will almost certainly not work. In the early days of LEDs they came out with load resistors to wire in the lighting harness to provide the "load" to activate the old flashers. These things got hot, consumed electricity equivalent to the old bulbs and were dangerous if installed wrong.

Fortunately, electronic flashers eliminate all that BS and don't require the "load" that the old flashers did.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So far the stock, old, flashers have worked OK in the 3 cars I put LEDs in the tail lights only. I have not installed LEDs up front on any of them.

I was particularly surprised everything worked in my 67 GTX with all original wiring harness. Most of these things have had a dash fire or half the electrical stuff usually doesn't work on them by now.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
So far the stock, old, flashers have worked OK in the 3 cars I put LEDs in the tail lights only. I have not installed LEDs up front on any of them.

I was particularly surprised everything worked in my 67 GTX with all original wiring harness. Most of these things have had a dash fire or half the electrical stuff usually doesn't work on them by now.
I like that year GTX - always thought they epitomized the bad-@ss passenger car-turned-road warrior look; along with the Chevelle SSs...

Quick Reply: How to Change over to LED lighting?