C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 427 distributor position

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 67 427 distributor position

Hi Everyone; I'm trying to get the timing set on my big block...in a previous post, I'd asked about getting mechanical timing correct after having removed distributor for needed work...Great news, thanks to you I got the car running well, but for some reason I'm not able to rotate distributor body clockwise far enough to get to 4 deg.
BTDC (advanced), because the body of the vacuum advance impacts the rh shield support bracket. The distributor has been on and off many times in past, so I don't know if current position is correct. By the way, I'm using a non-original intake manifold to convert from 3x2 to 4 barrel. Shouldn't make a difference.
Question: is it possible to rotate rotor and shaft of distributor one gear tooth ccw to give more operating room for timing adjustments on dist. body (i.e. more clockwise room before vac advance runs into support bracket). If so, How does one do it? Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Do you want/need one tooth difference or only 1/2 a tooth difference??

For one tooth, pull up the distributor, use a screwdriver to rotate the oil pump shaft a bit, and then re-install the distributor in the desired position (one tooth off……..about 30 or so degrees difference (out of 360 degrees rotational movement).

If you only need 1/2 of that, then remove the drive gear on the bottom of the distributor and rotate it 180 degrees to what it is now. Then re-install the drive pin. Then install the distributor in the car and set the timing. If the distributor had shims between the bottom gear and the housing, be sure to re-install them. Ideally the clearance or gap between the gear and housing is about 0.010 inch. Some folks like it tighter and a a few prefer more clearance. You can check the archives for additional information.

Larry
Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Your one or two teeth off.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Do you want/need one tooth difference or only 1/2 a tooth difference??

For one tooth, pull up the distributor, use a screwdriver to rotate the oil pump shaft a bit, and then re-install the distributor in the desired position (one tooth off……..about 30 or so degrees difference (out of 360 degrees rotational movement).

If you only need 1/2 of that, then remove the drive gear on the bottom of the distributor and rotate it 180 degrees to what it is now. Then re-install the drive pin. Then install the distributor in the car and set the timing. If the distributor had shims between the bottom gear and the housing, be sure to re-install them. Ideally the clearance or gap between the gear and housing is about 0.010 inch. Some folks like it tighter and a a few prefer more clearance. You can check the archives for additional information.

Larry
Dear Powershift...Thanks for the suggestions. they worked like a champ!!!!It took a couple of tries, but I finally got what I needed, and was then able to get the correct dwell and timing for the engine. It runs great and sounds great. Thank you both for the help. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To 67 427 distributor position

Quick Reply: 67 427 distributor position