C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm about to make major changes to my C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

As for the negativity on the forum...it happens quite frequently...and its unfortunate...most of the negative comments wouldn't occur if these discussions were in person, nothing like hiding behind a monitor, therefore, I mostly try ignore them.

As for your exhaust conundrum...there are folks here who have added electric exhaust cutouts which allow both the undercar exhaust and sidepipes to be used either simultaneously OR just the undercar exhaust system to be used. It looks pretty slick. This could help your decision process.

I am interested to follow your progress...I have the same feedback for the VBP suspension systems. As for going the new chassis route, I like this idea but I am not willing to commit the time or resources to make it happen. The C2 Ridetech piece is interesting and I will eagerly follow along...given my disappointment with the VBP setup I have, I will not throw any more money at my suspension until I have first-hand ridden/drive in a car that has the Ridetech mod. Are you going level 2?

If I never get the chance to ride/drive one then it wont ever happen and I am fine with that. I do know the VS sytems have been used/discussed and they reviews have been mixed...your comments that suggest the VS is "lacking in ride quality", totally match the feedback I have seen. I don't think the VS option is the answer.

Good luck!

Frank
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Frank

My plan is to go level 2. No need for L3 for a street car. One thing I've been told us that their mono-tube shock design is far superior to the QA1's used on the VS setup. Once I get this all done, and if it's as good as I'm hoping, I'll probably consider swapping out the shocks on my C3 and see what difference it makes. With that said, on my C3 I only have the VS coil overs on the front. The back has a mono spring and QA1's. The ride quality starts back there and I know I don't have the best setup. Maybe, again only if it's the real deal, I'll consider putting the RT rear coil over setup in the C3.

I'll get some pics of the flares and post them soon.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:23 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I applaud all who take the time to document on this forum what they are doing on their car. It does not matter if it is my style/taste/preference/mod or not. The information provided is always of value to someone out there, as it has been a zillion times to me
Old 01-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner
The tranny is a level III Gearstar 4L60

I'm planning on keeping it in place.
I'm assuming since you are keeping tranny in place, if this tranny was built prior to release of LS3/LT1 engines. Or If and maybe even if after release of LS3&7 that it most likly does not have internal mod pickup and wiring mod needed to support LS3/7 ECMs requirement for ISS siginal. If that is case, trans will have to be modified (if possible like a 4L65E can be) or replaced with 4L70E.

If you trans does not have the plug below or plug it has does not have the 2 pins circled in RED, you will have to replace trans if not or see if it can be modified with components and plug that spports LS3/7/LT1 engine ECM requirements.

Suggest you research this.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 01-09-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I applaud all who take the time to document on this forum what they are doing on their car. It does not matter if it is my style/taste/preference/mod or not. The information provided is always of value to someone out there, as it has been a zillion times to me
100% Looking forward to the build!!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm on board with you!
I'd recommend keeping the undercar exhaust, as you have many more options for producing power with great sounding exhaust note. You can always add electric dump valves to run open headers if you want to. Sidepipes are great, and I love mine, but you MUST MUST MUST fabricate custom exhaust system that will fit within the original covers. Looks like you will be making 500 plus HP in Phase II. If you don't mind the noise, then I suggest you build your exhaust system around these:

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html

scroll down to 2540 VP

On my 470 HP 327, these mufflers resulted in a mere 6 RWHP power loss versus open headers!

The sound is mellow while cruising, but they bark like hell when you mash the throttle. Your coupe will reflect and attenuate the sound, you know.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 01-09-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

LS engines and sidepipes.

I never heard a stock or modified LS3/7 engine sound good with Side pipes. Unlike old style engines they sound like you have a 4 Cylinder engine in car. You hear each of the exhaust pluses of 4 cylinders that exit on side of the car you are standing on. To me you don't get the rumble sound of orginal engines make when standing at side of car, so many here seem to like or think they would...

If I had side pipes on the LS3 430HP or 480HP engine they would make you puke when standing at side of car. Same can be said of LS7 going in 3rd car. Thats just one of the reasons I have under car rear exit exhaust on both, soon to be 3 LS powered cars. Power lost is bad enough with my homemade headers and True 3.0" exhaust from collectors to muffler exit, so I don't need Sidepipes to make it worst...

Looks or Power

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 01-09-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I never realized the sound of an LS motor was so bad when using side pipes...interesting...
Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Im not sure ls engines dont sound cool with side pipes...go to a goodguys autocross....
Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
Im not sure ls engines dont sound cool with side pipes...go to a goodguys autocross....
In the ear of the beholder. My 6.0 with Hooker side-pipes with STS baffles sound just fine.
And not too loud.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:28 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

observations:
1)make it what YOU want, you only go around once! I support you.

2) I seriously dislike the look of side exhaust, I'm not alone but I realize I AM in a serious minority, and it's all preference

3) If I were doing the build, I'd hold off body and paint as long as possible, do as much as you can before you make it shiny again. There will be a lot serious surgery going on right around you slick new paint.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:06 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the sidepipes are off the plan.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I think the sidepipes are off the plan.

Thanks for the inputs.

I think that you made a wise decision if you want to maximize the power output of your engine while maintaining a comfortable noise level.

Curiosity forces me to ask what prompted your decision.

Joe
Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Very interested in this project. Are you selling the VS stuff? I'd be more than interested...

Subscribed.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Frank

My plan is to go level 2. No need for L3 for a street car. One thing I've been told us that their mono-tube shock design is far superior to the QA1's used on the VS setup. Once I get this all done, and if it's as good as I'm hoping, I'll probably consider swapping out the shocks on my C3 and see what difference it makes. With that said, on my C3 I only have the VS coil overs on the front. The back has a mono spring and QA1's. The ride quality starts back there and I know I don't have the best setup. Maybe, again only if it's the real deal, I'll consider putting the RT rear coil over setup in the C3.

I'll get some pics of the flares and post them soon.
QA1's are the biggest piece of junk ever made. All hype and no real performance. I'm surprised Van Steel still uses them, since most of the stuff they sell is pretty good. QA1's are no good...
Old 01-09-2015, 05:36 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Jay, the VS stuff is on the C3. It's staying on. The C2 has VBP front and back. I'd be HAPPY to sell you that stuff.

65TB, two main drivers are concerns about exhaust smell and the fact that I've got too much money tied up in the exhaust already. The comments here helped push me over the edge. If I keep it focused on body, suspension, and steering, I'll stay in budget.

Maybe?!?!?!?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:12 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Budget.... good.
You know how it works ...
Make your plans. Add up all the numbers. Be generous and add a bit.

Then Double it.
Works for me.
Every time.
Uncannily accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm about to make major changes to my C2

Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The exhaust problem is so simple. Side exhaust is so loud , HP loss. Under car exhaust more HP and cabin quieter. Install those electric exhaust cut outs and have both.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:50 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Poorhousenext........thanks for the 4L60 info. I had no clue about what you told me. That clearly will impact what happens down the road. I don't think it has what it needs. Gearstar built this tranny for me, for this engine, 8 years ago. I doubt they modified it for electronic controlled options, but you never know until you check it out.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2015, 03:17 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I love side pipes, but if you want you can fake them. Just get the covers and a chrome tip. It will look like it has side pipes, but will use your existing exhaust system. Headers will be easier too.

Quick Reply: I'm about to make major changes to my C2