C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm about to make major changes to my C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Do what you like, if others don't like it tough, it your car and I for one admire both restomod and original and encourage people to do what they want with "their" car. I think it is great you can afford to do what you want and in case others forget, you earn the money and can do what you want with it. I will follow your progress with interest....cheers from west texas
Old 01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
66TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by LT1driver
Do what you like, if others don't like it tough, it your car and I for one admire both restomod and original and encourage people to do what they want with "their" car. I think it is great you can afford to do what you want and in case others forget, you earn the money and can do what you want with it. I will follow your progress with interest....cheers from west texas

From Central Texas
Old 01-10-2015, 05:39 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Sounds like a fun project! Definitely keep us loaded with good photos and updates!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:49 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

It DOES sound like a fun project. I am definitely subscribed for this one. Take lots of pictures. Looking forward to this.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you're doing what you want with it... It's just a car... And if I'm not mistaken, you purchased it for the purpose of getting enjoyment out of it. So enjoy!!! I will say that one of things I always loved about these cars is their simplicity, and the dependability that comes with that. I drive mine a lot...

After driving mine for 90,000 miles, And never getting stranded or being towed home, I changed the frame/suspension, which caused a myriad of updates, two of which you will also experience if you go to a LS motor - that add complexity and deminish dependability. You've probably already considered these, but here they are anyway

1 - you loose the mechanical fuel pump, and must now use an electric pump with a return line to the tank. Must run another fuel line, plus wiring and relays, etc. Now you've got both relays and an electrical pump that can fail at any time, and a gas tank to modify. Mech fuel pumps almost never fail till they get old.
2 - loose the mechanical fan - you must now use electric fan/fans, fan relay, fan thermostat, and maybe a fan controller, along with all the wiring for those. Mechanical fan only has a belt and a thermostatic clutch - my clutch lasted 90,000 miles, and belts you can usually see the trouble before it happens.

Not huge deals, but just something to think about. I think you said you already have the engine, so that would reduce the number 3 I had in mind, which was the cost of switching over, instead of building a more powerful 1st gen motor.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the color I'm going with: Ferrari Azzurro California Blue

Old 01-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 779 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you like blue with a POP , look at PPG's custom color chart. That's my choice for my 64 coupe. I used it on my race car to test it. Love it ! Very high metallic. In the sun it lights up.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you do an LS/LT swap, do a cost analysis of upgrading your SBC to the desired power your looking for. There are plenty of 383/406 combos making good power. With the addition of EFI, you should have a pretty nice combination without spending a lot of money.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

My biggest advise for you- Enjoy the process and try to forget about the money being spent doing it. Car projects for those of us that don't turn cars over but every couple decades is far different than other crowds. Sounds like you'll continue owning this ride for years, so do what you like!

That italian blue looks a lot like chevy's marina blue from your car's era, but what can one tell from one picture?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:39 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I love it when a plan comes together --- or starts.

CWerner,

Sounds like a good plan, one comment, I'd do the wheels & tires at the same time as the flares. There's nothing worse than modifying the body and then finding you get a tire/wheel combo to fit. It's much better to have the tires/wheels you want and then make sure the body is modified to fit that combo. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

John,

I get your point exactly. I'm really struggling with the wheel/tire option because of cost. The wheels I want are about 1300 each. The wheels I have are about 300 each. That's a huge price point jump. I need to find something in the 5-600 range, that look great, and fill out the wheel well perfectly.

I keep getting told that down the road, I'll be glad I spent more on the wheels than planned because its the finishing touch that's so critical.

Jerry,

I think I'm leaning that way. Heads, cam, and tune and I will be easily at the 400 rhp mark.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CWerner
Here's the color I'm going with: Ferrari Azzurro California Blue

I like that...Makes me think of a modern/darker Trophy Blue!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Colorado '63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Before you do an LS/LT swap, .......

Google "LT1 leaks". I have an LT1 which provides nice oomph. But I could send you a few leaks to get you started and still have some for myself.

Bob
Old 05-23-2015, 10:38 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

FWIW:

LS / Sidepipes:

Small block / sidepipes:

Big block / sidepipes:

They all sound great to me.

Last edited by out2kayak; 05-23-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I think the sidepipes are off the plan.

Thanks for the inputs.
I too, think that's a wise decision. While I do love the looks of side pipes I like performance much more.

People are always amazed when I tell them that under car exhaust systems actually provide more horse power than side exhaust.

My guess is because they sound so mean they think they MUST be putting out more power.

Looking forward to future postings of your build.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 05-24-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I think there is a tendency to think that side pipes automatically cut power. As far as side pipes cutting power goes, if you run the stock OEM style 1.5 inch chambered pipes, then YES it will reduce power. Those pipes are very restrictive.

However, IF you run a 2.5 or 3 inch inch chambered setup, they don't cut power. They aren't stock, but do fit under the stock covers, no problem. There is also a neat trick to run both side and under-car exhaust with the electric cutouts...very cool and gives you the option to control the use of side pipes w/ under-car or under-car only.

As far a noise, yes, side pipes can be a little noisy but to each his own.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Consider the 65/66 BB hood, the 67 style hood is overdone and too common. Like everyone at Disney wearing mouse ears. "Mommy, I want MM ears".

side pipes reduce inside heat and allow access to undercarriage components, reduces weight, 1hsp per 10lbs

the end of the sidepipes can be angled somewhat to alter the sound, striaght down vs out to the side which softens the sound..... their is plenty of quiet time for all eternity so why not be loud now?

what front fender side panels? can fit whatever year or cut out the vents as in the 65/66 and reverse them to have the vents stick out.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm about to make major changes to my C2

Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

I like the earlier BB hood too...and the sidepipes!!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddy
if you go to a LS motor - that add complexity and deminish dependability.

1 - you loose the mechanical fuel pump, and must now use an electric pump with a return line to the tank. Must run another fuel line...
Not really, the LS3 is returnless. You can run the filter/regulator (cheap GM part) at the back and a single line to the front.

I do get the point about the electric stuff and there is no doubt its more complex, but the OEM versions of these in new cars last a long time also. It seems possible to get the same results in after market if installed correctly. For example you hear about issues running fuel pumps externally (especially near the exhaust) because they don't like heat, while running them in tank keeps them cool but requires more work...

The LS engines definitely sound different, using the same system on SBC vs LS will give a different result, but I think its all personal preference. I messed about with my exhaust a lot before I was happy.

Since you are planning such wholesale changes to body, paint, engine, suspension, steering, driveline etc... have you considered a new frame ? I have no experience but many here do and I suspect that by the time you buy everything to fit the old frame, you may approach the price of something designed and fitted with C6 everything... then you can deal with the body and paint separately while building up the chassis.

Having said that, I am doing things piecemeal on my car because I enjoy the hobby and like to be able to drive the car between small over the weekend changes.... but I know I will never get something that rides/handles like a modern corvette this way.

Last edited by daz_au; 05-24-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:38 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CWerner,
Any updates to your project ?
RK
After lots of thinking, consulting, drinking, consulting..... I've decided its time to make major changes on my 64 Roadster. Here's the plan

New Paint (58 silver blue)...stinger hood with white stripe
Rear Quarter Flares (style that maintains original body lines)
Ridetech C2 Suspension on all 4 corners
Borgeson Steering Box
Wilwood big brakes
Vintage Air AC
Retro Sound Stereo

Phase II next year:
LS3 or LT1 Engine
18" wheels & tires

One thing I'm struggling with is side pipes or keep my 2 1/2 " SS Borla exhaust system... I hate throwing good money away. I love the looks of the side exhaust though. It's classic.

I'll be sending the car up to Custom Image Corvettes for the paint and body work very soon. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the rest or Josh will......stay tuned for updates.

Quick Reply: I'm about to make major changes to my C2