C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm about to make major changes to my C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I'm about to make major changes to my C2

After lots of thinking, consulting, drinking, consulting..... I've decided its time to make major changes on my 64 Roadster. Here's the plan

New Paint (58 silver blue)...stinger hood with white stripe
Rear Quarter Flares (style that maintains original body lines)
Ridetech C2 Suspension on all 4 corners
Borgeson Steering Box
Wilwood big brakes
Vintage Air AC
Retro Sound Stereo

Phase II next year:
LS3 or LT1 Engine
18" wheels & tires

One thing I'm struggling with is side pipes or keep my 2 1/2 " SS Borla exhaust system... I hate throwing good money away. I love the looks of the side exhaust though. It's classic.

I'll be sending the car up to Custom Image Corvettes for the paint and body work very soon. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the rest or Josh will......stay tuned for updates.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

keeping stock tranny??????????????
Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Why the announcement? It's your $$$ being flushed.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The tranny is a level III Gearstar 4L60

I'm planning on keeping it in place.

Last edited by CWerner; 01-08-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,478 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Why the announcement? It's your $$$ being flushed.
Lets go easy on the man since we all have at some time "been there, done that" kind of thing in more or lesser amounts. He is also preparing us for making suggestions etc. Dennis
Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Lets go easy on the man since we all have at some time "been there, done that" kind of thing in more or lesser amounts. He is also preparing us for making suggestions etc. Dennis
Some of them he may not like...

-Bruce
Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

if you're throwing away any parts from your 64....I am the best charity cause you can find..............
Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Why the negativity? I thought we were all here to share our thoughts and stories about our cars.

I thought this would be a cool project others would like to follow and give input into.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner
Why the negativity? I thought we were all here to share our thoughts and stories about our cars.

I thought this would be a cool project others would like to follow and give input into.
Understand that there are 2 camps, keep it close to original and restomod. You have chosen one side, it doesn't make it right or wrong but others disagree.
I see the point when you state "I don't like throwing money away" but you might have a more difficult time recouping your costs and perceived value with the modifications you are planning when it comes time to sell. Not everyone is going to agree with you but remember, it is your car.
Rick
Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

That's a pretty good use of money on a 64, IMO.

I'll be following along, sounds like a fun project.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The reality is that it's an "old school" resto-mod. I'm not destroying an original. It's already been done. The car has a TPIS fuel injected ZZ4 in it, and very little is original.

Oh well, to each their own.

For those in the Resto-Mod camp, I'm going to find out about the RideTech suspension setup and see how it compares to the aftermarket frame options, at a much lower price. I'm hearing really good things. I've got VS on my C3 and it's real nice, but still lacking in ride quality....although significantly better than stock. The C2 has VBP performance plus and I've never been happy with it. It rides way too stiff in front and bouncy in back. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to make it better.

more to come.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The reality is that it's an "old school" resto-mod. I'm not destroying an original. It's already been done. The car has a TPIS fuel injected ZZ4 in it, and very little is original.

Oh well, to each their own.

For those in the Resto-Mod camp, I'm going to find out about the RideTech suspension setup and see how it compares to the aftermarket frame options, at a much lower price. I'm hearing really good things. I've got VS on my C3 and it's real nice, but still lacking in ride quality....although significantly better than stock. The C2 has VBP performance plus and I've never been happy with it. It rides way too stiff in front and bouncy in back. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to make it better.

more to come.
That's what I say about my wife.....

-Bruce
Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't get it either. Why not share your thoughts? I think it's a great 'announcement'. especially for this boring time of year.
I like most of your plans.
I installed a Retro-sound model 2. I like it but when my top is down [always] the display is completely useless. Which renders the unit useless. You really can't even shade it with your hand to see it. In fact yesterday I emailed them to see if there are any improvements or upgrades available. Nope. They assure me the they are using the best electronics available, it's the nature of that beast. The radio fits and works well and has/supports all the features that I wanted. 2 300w amps, usb in, aux in, just cant see it. I don't have any plans to replace it but if I was ordering today it would give me pause.
The 1/4s will be a good thing. Borgeson Steering Box, Wilwood big brakes, Vintage Air AC are awesome, IMO.
Ridetech stuff etc? Do your home work. I dabbled in susp upgrades. Mono leaf front, solid and urethane bushings where appropriate. Experienced and heard [my home work] of enough bouncy rear mono's to stay away from them. My conclusion is I was trying make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Now I would just make sure all bushings are up to date and tight. Hi durometer where the movement is in 2 dimensions, rubber where necessary. I like my http://scandc.com/new/ adjustable control arms and tall ball joints - solid bushings have never given me any roughness or concern, I have lotsa miles on.
Tho I love my Muncie and Hurst I have thought about your trans choice. I would look at a Full Manual Shift auto with paddle shifters if such a thing is possible? Haven't looked too close at that obviously.
I hope that you will keep us posted on your progress, I'm sure that you are excited and should be. And those that are not interested will try and contain themselves and just move on to the next thread.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:03 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

After lots of thinking, consulting, drinking, consulting..... I've decided its time to make major changes on my 64 Roadster. Here's the plan

Could you post a picture of the flares you are considering?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:48 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I've got VS on my C3 and it's real nice, but still lacking in ride quality....although significantly better than stock.

more to come.
I'm pretty good with alphabet soup, but what does "VS" stand for here?

Steve
Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I think the initial reaction was, "here is another stock car being flared/modded/what-notted".

The additional info added by the OP, "I'm not destroying an original. It's already been done. The car has a TPIS fuel injected ZZ4 in it, and very little is original" helps to un-ruffle a few feathers no doubt.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a well thought out plan. I'm with you on the side pipes. Cool and classic but loud and when sitting still the exhaust fumes are right beside you. I guess that's a good reason to keep your foot in it. I would keep the exhaust you have but that's just me. I have followed you progress through the years and will watch here also....it's a great hobby.

After lots of thinking, consulting, drinking..... I've decided its time to make major changes on my 64 Roadster. Here's the plan

Ridetech C2 Suspension on all 4 corners
Borgeson Steering Box
Wilwood big brakes
Vintage Air AC
Retro Sound Stereo

Phase II next year:
LS3 or LT1 Engine
18" wheels & tires

One thing I'm struggling with is side pipes or keep my 2 1/2 " SS Borla exhaust system... I hate throwing good money away. I love the looks of the side exhaust though. It's classic.

I'll be sending the car up to Custom Image Corvettes for the paint and body work very soon. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the rest or Josh will......stay tuned for updates.

[/QUOTE]

Get notified of new replies

To I'm about to make major changes to my C2

Old 01-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

While I am pretty much a "keep it original" kind of guy, it is your car.

Like they say, "ride your own ride". It's your time and money.

Will look forward to following your progress.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Guys,

thanks for the comments. VS stands for Van Steel. I've got their A-Arms/Coilover setup on my C3 and I feel it's a really good improvement over the VBP setup.

Great comments about the tranny. I put a Keisler RS500 in my C3, where it was an auto. The C2 already has a great auto tranny in it's back to my comment about not wanting to throw away good money already spent. Therefore I will keep the auto. Another issue is Houston traffic. Its a real pain to drive a manual because of the traffic.

I'm leaning towards keeping the existing exhaust. It's a high quality system and makes no since to remove it (financially) unless someone bought it from me at a reasonable price.

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,281 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I like your choice of color and would go for the side pipes, imho