C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OK I might be a frickin idiot

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default OK I might be a frickin idiot

Hello

I had and unusual visitor come to my house. I just got back home from work and their was a knock at the door. I wondered who it could be? There was a man I did not know telling me "Hi" he wanted to know if I owned a 1963 Corvette. I said Yes I do. He wanted to see it..I said ok.. I hit the garage door opener there it was.. He looked around it and asked to look at the engine...sure why not? I'm still not sure why he looking at my 63 vette (The interior is completely gutted from my car). I B.S. with him showed him all the parts I took off of the car all the rebuilt parts blah blah blah. Then he looked at me seriously and said he wanted to buy it...I said it wasn't for sale. He asked if 40k was enough to buy it I said no...We played this game up to 52k. He said he had CASH......I almost caved in and said YES! I thought about how much time and a lot of $$$$ I put into this " Black Hole" I couldn't pull the trigger. I want to get it rebuilt and enjoy the car more than I have in the past... I forgot to ask him how he knew I had a 1963 Corvette?

Maybe I should have taken the money and run....
Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Wow, you are more trusting than me because I would have closed the door w/o a word spoken on my part. Then again you may have left out a few details in order to be brief in your post.
Rick
Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Wow, you are more trusting than me because I would have closed the door w/o a word spoken on my part. Then again you may have left out a few details in order to be brief in your post.
Rick
He's probably an LE and still had his service revolver on when he got home...
Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Rick
Well I do live in a gated community....So it makes it a little more stranger...But, its not uncommon for people to stop and talk about the car when the garage door is open and I am cleaning away on the Vette..
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Hey Pete,

I've been offered a boat load of money (a couple of times), for my '62. Much more than I could get if I was in a situation where I needed to sell it I'm sure.

But the fact is that I enjoy having the car and it's taken me through a lot of good times, as well as providing me a place to tinker when times haven't been so good.

Besides, it definitely wouldn't make me feel any better having the money sitting in the bank.

As far as I know, money isn't going to do me any good when I'm long gone, so I choose to keep the car and enjoy my time here!!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Well I do live in a gated community....So it makes it a little more stranger...But, its not uncommon for people to stop and talk about the car when the garage door is open and I am cleaning away on the Vette..
But the garage wasn't open.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 63

The only mistake you made was maybe being a little too trusting. You were not ready to sell. I am glad you want it back on the road. Contact me anytime and I will help you all I can. Too bad I am far away, maybe a CF roadtrip for a weekend of work to get the car going???
Boyan
Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Word gets around if you have a classic car - and pretty quickly too.
Here's one for ya I still can't get over.

Working on my 1966 Mustang convertible in the garage in Chesapeake, Va. about 18 years ago. A couple drives up in a car with the woman driving. She drops off this semi-nerdy looking guy and drives off leaving him standing in the driveway. The guy is 38-45 years old I guess. He sheepishly saunters up to me bent over the hood and asks if he can help work on my car or at least hand me tools, etc.. WTF ?

Never seen him before.

I'm weirded out so I stop working on the car and just talk to the guy for about 1/2 hour about cars, etc.. The wife drives back by and picks the guy up and he says he'd really like to help me on the car sometime....I state that I'll call him to set that up. Never do.

What the bejesus was that about; wife set him up with a "playdate" with me ?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
David Moroney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Working on my 1966 Mustang convertible in the garage in Chesapeake, Va. about 18 years ago. A couple drives up in a car with the woman driving. She drops off this semi-nerdy looking guy and drives off leaving him standing in the driveway. The guy is 38-45 years old I guess. He sheepishly saunters up to me bent over the hood and asks if he can help work on my car or at least hand me tools, etc.. WTF ?

Never seen him before.

I'm weirded out so I stop working on the car and just talk to the guy for about 1/2 hour about cars, etc.. The wife drives back by and picks the guy up and he says he'd really like to help me on the car sometime....I state that I'll call him to set that up. Never do.

Missed opportunity to make a friend IMO
Old 01-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

I sold my 65 convertible in 1989 to a neighbor. He paid cash, literally a pile of $100 bills in a brown paper lunch bag. I got so scared afterward because I thought it might be a setup; the robber would come by later to haul the cash away. I made my wife take the money to her office and lock it in her desk drawer just in case. Fortunately it was a legit sale, one I regret all these years later.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

could have been a test. what would happen if you said yes?

thinking extreme here - the next visit could have been via little yellow bus with him and his friends then try to get something done on the car.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Never seen him before.

As most of us boys and girls on this Forum have or had the cars of our dreams, there are very many, many, others out there that have never been blessed with enough "period disposable income" ( or "intestinal fortitude") to buy one of their own.

I still run in to these people all of the time. They travel the world, send their kids to Ivy League schools, squirrel money away for dozens of good reasons, but somehow manage to subordinate their car urge to everything else.
They break their necks or nearly crash while driving, when a collector or performance car drives by, or drool all down their shirt at a car show, then often climb in to a $70,000.00 SUV and sadly wonder why they can't play cars.

Certainly there are those who do not have the money, and when I talk to them I just suggest they set their sights to a less desirable and expensive car that often can be a valid substitute, and many do. I know of one who had worked upwards from a Ford Maverick to a Corvette, with minimal funds, but tons of time and sweat-equity.

But I just cannot understand those that can afford it, and want to do it, and talk incessantly about it, but never, ever, pull the trigger.

That was one smart wife who dropped her husband off to "play cars" with you Frankie, just they could have set it up a lot better.

I am no longer amazed at how many boys and girls are out there that would love to be doing what we are doing with our toys.
Just amazed at the millions of reasons they come up with when you ask them why they don't just buy one.

We all know the ones that I speak of.
The well dressed guys, who likely blew $300.00 at the golf course earlier, that will spend an hour talking with you about your car at a show, until their wife comes out of the store with 8 bags and boxes, and drags them away.

After all of these years, I just don't understand some people.

Life is good, just WAY too short!

Marty
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Life is good, just WAY too short!

Marty

I'm not here for a long time...BUT, I am here for a GOOD time!!!

(Disclaimer: Cash is king and I found this car...sooooo, if I can make a boatload of money, I will find another!!!)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
I sold my 65 convertible in 1989 to a neighbor. He paid cash, literally a pile of $100 bills in a brown paper lunch bag. I got so scared afterward because I thought it might be a setup; the robber would come by later to haul the cash away. I made my wife take the money to her office and lock it in her desk drawer just in case. Fortunately it was a legit sale, one I regret all these years later.
I love this one,
you were so frightened of having all the mugger bait on you that you made your wife hold it!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I love this one,
you were so frightened of having all the mugger bait on you that you made your wife hold it!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

I did that exact thing on 67 BB and drove it home.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Hey Pete,

I've been offered a boat load of money (a couple of times), for my '62. Much more than I could get if I was in a situation where I needed to sell it I'm sure.

But the fact is that I enjoy having the car and it's taken me through a lot of good times, as well as providing me a place to tinker when times haven't been so good.

Besides, it definitely wouldn't make me feel any better having the money sitting in the bank.

As far as I know, money isn't going to do me any good when I'm long gone, so I choose to keep the car and enjoy my time here!!
I feel exactly the same way with my car. Never really considered or looked at the car as an investment. Other things have done well in the investment game.

If it's all about having fun these cars provide it in spades! . .. A boatload of the green stuff is nice..........but what fun is it?

Get notified of new replies

To OK I might be a frickin idiot

Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was 15 and helping my dad restore his 55 210 del ray hot rod; we had a guy stop and ask to buy it, Dad said no. Apparently this guy doesn't like being told no; because he got run off by the neighbors because he was loitering around the garage when no one was home.
Ive had scrappers take an interest in my projects, but their eyes are elsewhere. I told one guy who was extra creepy, very politely that one of the joys of living on a 16 acre farm, no one cares if they hear gun shots over here...He left soon after, but I wrote down his plate number and description and called the non emergency number for the police and told them about my guest. Apparently he'd been overly friendly in the neighborhood and had a history. I see a lot of cars going into the scrapyard by my work, and if some meth head sold my pride and joy for a case of beer....Id need medication LOL

To be fair; Im actually overly accommodating at car shows. I let kids sit in the car, open the door, answer all kinds of questions, take peoples pictures for them. But thats my public life; I live on a farm with a long driveway for a reason LOL I like my privacy too
Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I sold my 67 Camaro the guy paid me in all cash. I've never held that much in my life. This is the actual picture.

Was I nervous? Maybe a little, but my friends Smith and Wesson helped calm me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jonnie Walker helps too

Quick Reply: OK I might be a frickin idiot