C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66' convertible stored for 30+ years (opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:20 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Assembly required

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
From Personal Experience!!!...unless you can do the reassembly/restoration yourself....RUN Forrest !!!...RUN!!!...from a disassembled car, ESPECIALLY "1" thousands of miles AWAY from you!!!, as every missing part is $$$$ & shop cost to restore at $100.00 an hour will QUICKLY find you upside down!!!...which you already are, living in Australia ...Mark
Good advice from those who have been there. If you are planning on buying a car be sure you have someone who knows what to look for take a look. Well worth the $. If you are able to get photos, post them here. Let members have a look. The more photos the better. Forum members have good eyes, and know these cars. Best advice I would offer is not to be in a hurry. It might take a while to find the right car, but it is out there.
Good luck in your search.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:41 AM
peyano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
From Personal Experience!!!...unless you can do the reassembly/restoration yourself....RUN Forrest !!!...RUN!!!...from a disassembled car, ESPECIALLY "1" thousands of miles AWAY from you!!!, as every missing part is $$$$ & shop cost to restore at $100.00 an hour will QUICKLY find you upside down!!!...which you already are, living in Australia ...Mark
Thanks for the advice. I always thought the same thing about cars in pieces and i never intended on it but theres something about this one.

Ill post some photos of it on this page.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM
peyano
Intermediate

Default 64 project convertible (opinion)

Hey guys,

This is a link to images of a 64 project car

The guy that sent them to me posted it on the forums as well. His name is northerncorvettes.

He says;
- its an original engine and transmission
- the frame has already been restored
- the engine has been re furbished
- the fibreglass has been 90% completed aside from rear bumper and a few other parts
- aparently there isnt a part missing and all parts included

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3irg1jn6f..._XoDJoVSa?dl=0

What are your thoughts?

I have a great contact (family friend) in the US who can put it all together for me.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That 66 is a train wreck. The more I look at it the worse it gets. It's not beyond saving, but only if that car has some sentimental value because the next owner will be upside down. (No pun intended) Buy a nice complete car if you can. They will always need things fixed so there is something to tinker with, but buying a car that that one is a recipe for disaster unless you own a bunch of the parts already and have significant experience with mid years.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:34 AM
peyano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
That 66 is a train wreck. The more I look at it the worse it gets. It's not beyond saving, but only if that car has some sentimental value because the next owner will be upside down. (No pun intended) Buy a nice complete car if you can. They will always need things fixed so there is something to tinker with, but buying a car that that one is a recipe for disaster unless you own a bunch of the parts already and have significant experience with mid years.

Thanks for that
Yeah it is a train wreck, its definitely not something im looking at. But what do you think about the 64 above?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by peyano
Thanks for that
Yeah it is a train wreck, its definitely not something im looking at. But what do you think about the 64 above?
Share the '64 pics with a reputable Corvette restoration shop to get a reasonable estimate of timing and cost for complete restoration.
Top quality C2 Corvette restorations performed by professionals can easily cost in excess of $100000 US/CAN.

I'd compile your "A list" cars (most desirable) and have your contact arrange for a Corvette expert to thoroughly inspect the vehicles to help with making a good purchase.

I've heard & read about C2 Corvette horror stories...cosmetically gorgeous car with a rusted frame that was not properly inspected; the frame snapped.

Be careful!

Have your seen this BEAUTY? Close to home? This car sold but you might want to connect with this CF member.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lie-coupe.html

I hope you find your C2.

Last edited by Vernon; 01-23-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I think you would be better off buying a done car. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying one with known issues, and then having it restored and then shipped over.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:34 AM
peyano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Revfan
I think you would be better off buying a done car. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying one with known issues, and then having it restored and then shipped over.

Just my humble opinion.
I appreicate that.

whats your opinion of the car in this link....

Dw its a completed car ☺

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ofbkb2z12...UfBYF-lza?dl=0
Old 01-24-2015, 03:52 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks nice, but I am certainly not an expert... especially with the nuances of Big Block cars.

Since its final destination is Australia, my feeling is that you need to get the most/best car you can for the money you have to spend. Because every issue NOT solved on US Soil will cost 2x as much in Australia to fix (especially if parts need to be shipped).

I am stationed with the US Forces in Europe (I am American) and even LITTLE TINY INSIGNIFICANT parts take forever to get.... Europe is Metric, so I can't run to my local Hardware store and get a set of 3/8th nuts. Folks that do sell US Parts want a fortune.

Anyway.
The price for admission into the Big Block Club is more than that of the Small blocks. A decent Driver+ quality Small block car with Base engine and Auto might cost $55K. A BB in the same condition, same options might start at $75K. And I am sure you will find lots to do on it when you finally take possession.

But that $75K spent on a Small Block car, would get you One NICE car. Probably one fresh off a restoration.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Since this isnt really a "wanted" classified thread and has become a general discussion about opinions on cars and ideas, I'll move this thread to the General area. You'll get more exposure to other members, too.

If you want, start a new thread here in the C1/C2 Cars For Sale/Wanted section with a title like "WTB or WANTED, C2 "(or whatever). That way you can get members to respond to you on different cars. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

A piece of general advice: People almost always pay too much for unrestored cars, but very few people are ever able to sell a restored car for what they have in it. Find the best, complete, restored (or survivor) C2 you can afford and enjoy driving it.

I speak from experience...
Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

A good friend and NCRS Master Judge and BLOOMINGTON GOLD judge for 25 years inspected the car in December. He shared with me that the car is original, but............needs lots of work. The sellers do not have a good understanding about vintage Corvettes.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
peyano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimgessner
A good friend and NCRS Master Judge and BLOOMINGTON GOLD judge for 25 years inspected the car in December. He shared with me that the car is original, but............needs lots of work. The sellers do not have a good understanding about vintage Corvettes.

Interesting. Others were saying there is no way its original. even at the right price, is it not worth it?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Welcome to the forum mate. Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Here's my .02.
1. DON'T be in a hurry, take your time!
2. Hang around the forum for awhile and garner as much info as possible.
3. DO look for a car that we refer to as at least a "driver".
4. Besides this forum join the NCRS. You can learn a lot there AND there's a "cars for sale" section in their news letter.
5. Once you find a GOOD prospect you may be able to have a forum member go by and take a look at for you if it's local.
6. Did I mention to take your time?

Gary
Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 AM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Welcome to the forum mate. Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Here's my .02.
4. Besides this forum join the NCRS. You can learn a lot there AND there's a "cars for sale" section in their news letter.
5. Once you find a GOOD prospect you may be able to have a forum member go by and take a look at for you if it's local.

Gary
I took 50 years and that wasnt enough time.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 AM
outlaw67
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default as others have said , know exactly what you want and spend as much as you can on a re

HI Guys,

I was wondering if i could get someone's opinion on this 66 convertible ( link below)

They say apart from the color, everything else is original.

i have been looking for a C2 or a while now but im finding it hard from Australia, getting honest opinions and advice, so i thought joining this forum would be a great thing!

also, what is the best site to look for c2 corvettes ?

Any assistance is appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ebaymotors/19...orcev4exp=true
as others have said ,Take your time , know exactly what you want and spend as much as you can on a preferably restored car and if you are serious, ask the guys here to look at the car for you , A 50K US car will cost you near 70K AU , and if it is advertised as original you need proof , even then pay an independant Assessor to look over the car , trust me I know , good luck
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Here are a few possibilities:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...840590046.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...862890751.html

I might be able to check them for you.

Get notified of new replies

To 66' convertible stored for 30+ years (opinion)

Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 AM
peyano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Todd H.
thanks for the links.

I could only open one of them (the green car) Apart from being a NOM, i love it.

I love convertibles, but does anyone know if there are any issues with leaking roofs ect?

or is that not something to worry about
Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 AM
peyano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gary's '66

Gary
thanks Gary,

im in no rush, happy to wait for a good car

i just wonder if im looking in all the right places.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:01 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Leaking roof?

thanks for the links.

I could only open one of them (the green car) Apart from being a NOM, i love it.

I love convertibles, but does anyone know if there are any issues with leaking roofs ect?

or is that not something to worry about
Leaking roof on a Corvette. Not unheard of. Especially on a vert.
Good news is, they only leak when it is raining.

Quick Reply: 66' convertible stored for 30+ years (opinion)