C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

door alinement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:57 AM
VinceP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

Default door alinement

The gap around door is ok the problem is the pass door the bottom of the door is about 3/8 of a inch to far in Is there direction some were to follow to help thanks Vince
Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I would think that adding the necessary shim/shims to the lower hinge will help, but it could cause the vertical alignment to change between the front fender and the rear quarter panel. Dennis
Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Kyle'56
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VinceP
The gap around door is ok the problem is the pass door the bottom of the door is about 3/8 of a inch to far in Is there direction some were to follow to help thanks Vince
Is this just happening? Or have you just out the door on? How the the positioning of the hinge? Positioning of the weather striping? Sounds more like you need a shim.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 PM
VinceP
Racer

sorry to say it has been like this for a while nothing has been done to the door I did try and add a shim to the lower hinge made no different
I checked the bottom with the driver door to make sure the bottom was not bent it is the same I took off the latch to see the fit it seems ok when I put it back on I was able to get the door to sit flush but the door is not tight I am still checking thing thanks/vince
Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Post a couple pictures of the door fit and we can give you some better ideas for anything that can be done.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM
VinceP
Racer

I have been looking for some threads on this problem .It seems that there is no set way I have tried several thing then I looked at the door seals,they seem ok a little flat I had a some exrat door seal from another project I layed it on the bottom of the door bingo the bottom of the door fits correctly I guess I will replace the seals Vince
Old 01-26-2015, 03:07 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

.. then I looked at the door seals,they seem ok a little flat I had a some exrat door seal from another project I layed it on the bottom of the door bingo the bottom of the door fits correctly I guess I will replace the seals Vince
Be careful what you ask for, you might get a result you don't want.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM
VinceP
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeM
Be careful what you ask for, you might get a result you don't want.
what dose that mean vince
Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Post a couple pictures of the door fit and we can give you some better ideas for anything that can be done.
some pictures will indeed help a lot. Correcting 3/8" misalignment with seals compression force seems a bit extravagant to me
Old 01-26-2015, 05:32 PM
VinceP
Racer

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
some pictures will indeed help a lot. Correcting 3/8" misalignment with seals compression force seems a bit extravagant to me
never figured out how to send pics or I would What kind of problem could I have by replacing the seals ? I do not have a stock seal to check to the one on the car to compare it with but it seems pretty flat. I am pretty sure it is the same one that came with the car Thanks Vince
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

what dose that mean vince
That means if the door fits everywhere else except where your concern is you might find it doesn't fit anywhere after you get your new door rubber on.

The weatherstrip bulb is designed to be compressed, maybe half it's diameter. It is not designed to wedge or mechanically hold the seal gap to the point it affects the door fit.

If the door fits everywhere else, doesn't leak wind or water, I'd let it alone but you can do as you wish.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-27-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:26 PM
VinceP
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeM
That means if the door fits everywhere else except where you're concern is you might find it doesn't fit anywhere after you get your new door rubber on.

The weatherstrip bulb is designed to to compressed, maybe half it's diameter. It is not designed to wedge or mechanically hold the seal gap to the point it affects the door fit.

If the door fits everywhere else, doesn't leak wind or water, I'd let it alone but you can do as you wish.
thank for the info I may take your advice Vince
Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Is this the poor fit down at the bottom, rear of the door that you are posting about?

If so, to a large extent that fit is contributed to you by none other than the GM assembly line. I stripped and painted my car and that is the way it was assembled. The lower edge of the door could be worked with a little filler to improve it but it can't be fixed that way. The rear fender dogleg would need to be sectioned and re-fit to take all of it out. I see it to varying degrees on about 20% of the mid-year cars I see. I suspect many other cars have had a lot of work done down there to improve the lines during re-paints.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Is this the poor fit down at the bottom, rear of the door that you are posting about?

If so, to a large extent that fit is contributed to you by none other than the GM assembly line. I stripped and painted my car and that is the way it was assembled. The lower edge of the door could be worked with a little filler to improve it but it can't be fixed that way. The rear fender dogleg would need to be sectioned and re-fit to take all of it out. I see it to varying degrees on about 20% of the mid-year cars I see. I suspect many other cars have had a lot of work done down there to improve the lines during re-paints.
I happen to think you are correct. Thus, my comments above.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
VinceP
Racer

yes that is what I was trying to explain Mine is not as bad as shown in your pic maybe about 1/2 or less of that is shown I do not think I am going to far to fix it Thanks Vince
Old 01-28-2015, 01:31 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If yours is about half as bad as mine - then I would straight edge the door bottom and you might find that it has a bit of roll in and up towards the rear. If so, when re-painting the car you can probably skim the area with a little filler and work some more of it out. But you aren't going to improve on it by simply adjusting the door shimming.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM
VinceP
Racer

If yours is about half as bad as mine - then I would straight edge the door bottom and you might find that it has a bit of roll in and up towards the rear. If so, when re-painting the car you can probably skim the area with a little filler and work some more of it out. But you aren't going to improve on it by simply adjusting the door shimming.
I tried to shim and adjust the door that is when I came to the forum. I just painted the car that was when I when I notice it when doing some sanding no problem I plan to do a do over in the next couple of years I will look at other corvettes to see if I could spot this problem Thanks for the information Vince
Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried to shim and adjust the door that is when I came to the forum. I just painted the car that was when I when I notice it when doing some sanding no problem I plan to do a do over in the next couple of years I will look at other corvettes to see if I could spot this problem Thanks for the information Vince
My 2 cents worth - I would concentrate on matching up the belt line from the door to the fenders and the top of fenders where it runs into the door. Then flush up the door and upper fender panels. Those are the areas that draw the eye of most viewers (especially the belt line). By the time their eye wanders down to that area (if it even does) they will be too impressed with what they are looking at to pay much attention anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To door alinement

Quick Reply: door alinement