C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default high oil pressure

Here is a synopsis of the history.
1960 Corvette with basic 283. The engine has an oil filter adapter for the spin on filter. I had the oil changed and apparently the previous owner did not use red loctite on the threaded nipple and when the new oil filter was installed, the threaded nipple screwed itself into the adapter leaving only about 2 threads holding the filter on.
While driving the car, the filter blew off and I pumped out 5 quarts of oil immediately. I got the engine shut down quickly. I bought a new spin on adapter and installed it with a new filter. The engine does not appear to be damaged BUT I now have high oil pressure. When I start the engine it shows 60PSI and when I accelerate, the needle is pegged at 60+ PSI. After the engine warms up, the idling pressure is 30-35PSI and at cruise is 55-60PSI.
I have checked the gauge with an external gauge and it's accurate. I'm running 5W30 oil. The oil filter is not bulged out. I seem to recall prior to the filter blowing off, the oil pressure was 25-30 at idle and 45 at cruise.
Will this high oil pressure cause any problems? Would using a lower viscosity oil (0W20) lower the pressure or should I not be concerned about the high oil pressure.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Captain Bud
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bud
Here is a synopsis of the history.
1960 Corvette with basic 283. The engine has an oil filter adapter for the spin on filter. I had the oil changed and apparently the previous owner did not use red loctite on the threaded nipple and when the new oil filter was installed, the threaded nipple screwed itself into the adapter leaving only about 2 threads holding the filter on.
While driving the car, the filter blew off and I pumped out 5 quarts of oil immediately. I got the engine shut down quickly. I bought a new spin on adapter and installed it with a new filter. The engine does not appear to be damaged BUT I now have high oil pressure. When I start the engine it shows 60PSI and when I accelerate, the needle is pegged at 60+ PSI. After the engine warms up, the idling pressure is 30-35PSI and at cruise is 55-60PSI.
I have checked the gauge with an external gauge and it's accurate. I'm running 5W30 oil. The oil filter is not bulged out. I seem to recall prior to the filter blowing off, the oil pressure was 25-30 at idle and 45 at cruise.
Will this high oil pressure cause any problems? Would using a lower viscosity oil (0W20) lower the pressure or should I not be concerned about the high oil pressure.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Captain Bud
I have a'61 with the original 283 (freshly rebuilt with about 900 miles on it). I've owned the car for 1.5 years and it always starts with high oil pressure. Pegs past 60. Once warm and I put a load on it (acceleration), it drops to about 35-40 PSI. That's about where it stays during highway speeds. Once I idle, it increases back up towards 60.

My understanding is that high oil pressure is a good thing. Low oil pressure can be a sign of big problems.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think your engine is running as it should in regards to the oil pressure gauge.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm running 5W30 oil. The oil filter is not bulged out. I seem to recall prior to the filter blowing off, the oil pressure was 25-30 at idle and 45 at cruise.

As long as there are no strange noises coming from the engine I would not be too concerned. However You are using 5W30 oil which is probably API rated SM or SN . A better choice of oil is API CJ-4. CJ-4 has a higher amount anti wear additive that a flat tappet cammed engine like yours require. SM or SN oils have a maximum limit of 800 PPM of phos whereas CJ-4 oils contain about 1100 PPM phos. Common brands of CJ-4 ared Shell oil Rotella, Chevron Delo.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

I'm no oil expert....but this guy IS. He runs a very informative blog and tests oils to their breaking point. Here's a quick intro on the guy:

"Before we get into motor oil tech, let’s briefly touch on a little background info. I’m a working Professional Degreed Mechanical Engineer, as well as a U.S. Patent holder. Mechanical Design Engineering is what I do for a living. A Mechanical Engineer is clearly the most qualified Engineer to test motor oil that was formulated by Chemical Engineers, for wear protection capability between mechanical components under load...The intended audience is Automotive Enthusiasts, Gearheads, Hotrodders, Racers and Engine builders. So, it is written in normal everyday spoken language, rather than overly technical jargon. That way, it will be the easiest to follow and understand by the widest possible audience."

After spending hours educating myself and finally asking a few questions of the blogger, I determined that 5W30 Oil Extreme “Motor Oil”, API SM synthetic or 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic was what was going into my '61. He says that, "5W30 is preferable to 10W30 because of its better cold flow capability".

Mobil 1 can be found anywhere and is reasonably prices for being an outstanding motor oil.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Viscosity

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
I'm running 5W30 oil. The oil filter is not bulged out. I seem to recall prior to the filter blowing off, the oil pressure was 25-30 at idle and 45 at cruise.

As long as there are no strange noises coming from the engine I would not be too concerned. However You are using 5W30 oil which is probably API rated SM or SN . A better choice of oil is API CJ-4. CJ-4 has a higher amount anti wear additive that a flat tappet cammed engine like yours require. SM or SN oils have a maximum limit of 800 PPM of phos whereas CJ-4 oils contain about 1100 PPM phos. Common brands of CJ-4 ared Shell oil Rotella, Chevron Delo.
Be sure you use oil with proper viscosity for your application. Warmer outside temperatures do not require the lower viscosity start-up blends that colder temperatures do. You want to have the oils that best protect your engine when it is operating at it's optimum operating temperature. You also do not want to add additives to your oil. If your flat tappet cam should have a certain amount of zinc to prevent premature wear, buy the oil that has what your application requires.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Oil pressure higher at idle than at cruise?

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
Once warm and I put a load on it (acceleration), it drops to about 35-40 PSI. That's about where it stays during highway speeds. Once I idle, it increases back up towards 60.
That seems strange to me.

Steve
Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 AM
veeeight
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SI67
That seems strange to me.

Steve
Must have got it back to front
Old 01-23-2015, 07:45 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Posted 1:22 AM - probably writing in his sleep.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

I don't get it. I re-read my post and that is exactly what happens. Is this not normal? Seems that the OP and I have the same issue then.

Hi oil pressure until the car is warmed up, oil pressure lowers with an increase in load, and increases again at idle.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't get it. I re-read my post and that is exactly what happens. Is this not normal? Seems that the OP and I have the same issue then.

Hi oil pressure until the car is warmed up, oil pressure lowers with an increase in load, and increases again at idle.
Not quite....high oil pressure at cold start up is pretty normal; once at operating temp; increasing RPMs should result in higher oil pressure. Nothing else even makes sense... Think about it...the pump is driven off the distributor/cam gearing...more RPMs = more pump revolutions...
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM
veeeight
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Not quite....high oil pressure at cold start up is pretty normal; once at operating temp; increasing RPMs should result in higher oil pressure. Nothing else even makes sense... Think about it...the pump is driven off the distributor/cam gearing...more RPMs = more pump revolutions...
As you increase the engine speed the oil pressure should rise and drop when you are at idle.
Phil
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

About the only abnormality that I can think of that would cause that is a very weak pressure relief spring that opens as soon as the rpm rises and boosts the flow volume - bleeding off pressure. And it barely closes at idle so the pressure jumps back up. Not even sure if that is possible.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would check the oil pressure in another location if there is one the filter could be blocked or theirs something wrong with the bypass in your spin on adapter
Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

That is a symptom of loose main bearings.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

High volume oil pump pumps oil up to the top. Pressure drops from starvation. Pressure increases when rpm falls back to idle.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by wombvette
High volume oil pump pumps oil up to the top. Pressure drops from starvation. Pressure increases when rpm falls back to idle.
i have a hi-vol.pump in the 61. Doesn't act like that ever. I guess insufficient oil level could do it tho.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 AM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Go to mellings web site or mellings on utube. They can answer a lot of your questions about oil pressure problems.

Get notified of new replies

To high oil pressure

Old 01-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Good suggestion. I would also pull the pan and check for any debris on the oil pump pick-up screen and also the clearance between the pick-up and the oil pan.

Sounds like the oil pump may be starving for oil, and thus not able to provide the proper pressure when at higher RPMs.

Larry
Old 01-24-2015, 04:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

[QUOTE=Captain Bud;1588783354

BUT I now have high oil pressure. Captain Bud[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Powershift
Sounds like the oil pump may be starving for oil, and thus not able to provide the proper pressure when at higher RPMs.

Larry
Just reading the OP's post, seems like his problem is a new event? What happened before his filter fell off?

The oil pump is a constant, the filter falling off is a recent event.

I'm so confused.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

When my canister gasket blew and dumped 4-1/2 qts of oil on the highway...my hi-vol pump reacted by the pressure oscillating between about 20 and 45 pounds. The dancing gauge is what caught my attention and quick action saved the motor.

Quick Reply: high oil pressure