C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lakeland 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 PM
denneys69
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Lakeland 2015

Did anyone notice the Corral was very lean as compared to years past?
I realize Rogers Corvettes had a prime space and when you walked in Corvette Experience also had prime real estate but the center of the corral field was empty?
Then I didn't see a lot of younger aged individuals walking around like I did back in the late eighties when I became involved. We need young faces otherwise our cars values will drop to that of model T's.
What's your thoughts?
Great Show and the best layout yet for all who attend.
Dennis
Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Great location, swap meet laid out in a logical manner.
Looked slow today but perfect weather and plenty of parts and cars to look at.
Be back tomorrow.
Bruce B
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by denneys69
I realize Rogers Corvettes had a prime space and when you walked in Corvette Experience also had prime real estate but the center of the corral field was empty?
Then I didn't see a lot of younger aged individuals walking around like I did back in the late eighties when I became involved. We need young faces otherwise our cars values will drop to that of model T's.
What's your thoughts?
Dennis
I've been down there two days running and have to agree. I don't know if its the venue location change or Mecum sucked all the oxygen out of the air or what...but the two observations above are correct
Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

What's your thoughts?
I don't think there's anything that can be done about this.

We all gravitated to 50's, 60's and 70's Corvettes, because that's what we grew up with. The interest in Model "T"s, and other pre-was cars, has waned because the people who grew up with them, are gone. Eventually, it will happen to Corvettes, and other cars of the muscle car era.

Much of the car hobby is driven by nostalgia, and it's hard to be nostalgic about something that wasn't part of your life.

By the way, I agree with your observation on the car coral, it wasn't just light, it was darn near empty! A little surprising, but maybe today will bring a few more cars?

I can't complain about the swap meet so far, as sales have been pretty good, at least for me.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

AS a guesstimate, how many swap meet vendors would you say are there this year.

I know Saturday will be the big day, but I am interested in how many "professional" vendors are selling at the swap meet.

The back yard / garage guys will show up with their pickups on Saturday.

SO, take a guess please at the number of swap meet sellers.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Technite73
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 25 Posts

What's your thoughts?
Dennis
Agree with above. Location also suffered from no signage and lack of good food. I hope they can get back to Oldtown. It was nice meeting Frankie the Fink in the hanger.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Can anyone post pic?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:18 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Buy low sell high.
Are you listening, car trader Fink:

Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I can see no reason to ever go back to Old Town. The Lakeland location is just so much better. Reasonable hotel rooms and no traffic - that's what's been needed for years.

Tyler did a great job on this show. I'll be back in Lakeland next year. Yes.

Richard Newton
Old 01-25-2015, 12:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I thought the Lakeland location was a ton better. Swap laid out logically instead of scattered all over the place. Incredibly easy parking instead of the impossible situation last year. Pull in, walk in. Cars in the hanger were nice, too.

I'd fly back down to Florida again if it were in Lakeland again, but not in Old Town.

PS, they could use some more food vendors.

PPS: My comment about last year's layout isnt a criticism of the organizers, there's no other way to do it there- its a function of the facility.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-25-2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Show was very nice, agree that the food could have been better. The one complain that I kept hearing that it is in the middle of nowhere. Overall I liked it and will be back next year.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I made it to Lakeland around 8:30, I think. I didn't check the time. It was just after the rain and things were wet. There was almost no one there, either. A friend of mine and I left Ocala in the dark and drove through rain to get there. we stopped at Panera Bread for breakfast in Zephyr Hills, which was fair but not up to Panera Bread's standards. (Or maybe that is their standard now.) The steak and egg sandwich was very small steak and cold in the center. Coffee was weak. there was a C7 when we got there, so I grab a shot of the only two Corvettes on the road in this weather. It turns out the lady there on her cell phone owned it but never said boo to us, even though we took a quick look before going in. "Typical late model" syndrome, I guess.

There were a couple of dozen non-Corvettes in the spectator parking when we got there and about 7 Corvettes when we pulled in. It wasn't looking good. We started over in the judging hanger and I ran into Sebring Bill. If you have some time, you should listen to his stories. He has a bunch of good ones.

we wandered around, I took some space numbers of guys here who said they were going, but finding the spaces was tough (poorly marked) and I found that several were empty.

I didn't get to run into all the usual guys from here, so sorry that I missed all of you.

The facility was very nice. If the weather had been better, it would have been a great place to be.

I spent a little time with George over at Fabulous in the center. I asked for the keys to the '67 L88 to take my friend Mark for a ride and he said the keys were in it, but I passed. I've driven an L88 before, and with the weather, I sure couldn't afford to pay for this one is anything went wrong.

I got a few parts, looked at a lot of cars, talked to several people, and ate in Chili's on US98 on the way home.

A few observations that NCRS should consider:

1. Muddy road for Corvette spectator parking - There was a PAVED road 50 feet away that would have taken us to the exact same spot. This was (unmentionable term on CF)!

2. Screwed up Corvette spectator parking. At Old Town, the Corvette spectator parking is a show unto itself. Many people get to meet, see old friends, etc. At Lakeland, spectator parking is just parking. It is removed from any activities, there is no reason to hang out at it, and no one is. This was really a slap in the face at those who drive their Corvettes there to be part of it all.

3. The Corvette show was NOT a replacement for the Old Town Corvette parking.

4. Better marking of space numbers. How can we find people if we can't find numbers? Yes, I know you number them only so the vendor can find their spot, but if customers can't locate them, the vendors are screwed. And they don't come back.

5. Many vendors were complaining of poor sales. Many said they would not return. Why? No people.

6. Poor adverting. When we went back into Lakeland to gas and eat before heading home, no one even knew there was a Corvette show there. I used to belong to the Secret Car Club of America (SCCA). NCRS is trying hard to be as secretive, apparently.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 07-28-2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Take that, Photobucket!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the mud to clean up today.

Inside the Judging Hanger, we found this. This is also where I ran into Sebring Bill.

The CERV II

Nice lightweight aluminum engine.

Good looking '63 coupe.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 07-28-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Fixing Photobucket's mess
Old 01-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

How would you like your Yellow 1958 Corvette? With a black tops?

Or with a white top?

This is the view I had of a '66 silver coupe each day on the bus going to school. It drove me crazy. I really had to have one. The closest I got was the silver '66 Corvette model from MPC.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 07-28-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Here are those two yellow '58s from the back.

And here is that silver '66 427 coupe from the front. To stare at a silver 427 coupe each day and have to sit in school thinking about it was almost too much.

Notice the lack of people in this shot.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 07-29-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Fixing Photobucket's worse move of the year
Old 01-25-2015, 02:55 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Thanks for the mud to clean up today.

Inside the Judging Hanger, we found this. This is also where I ran into Sebring Bill.

The CERV II

Nice lightweight aluminum engine.

Good looking '63 coupe.

Thanks for the thoughtful summary and the pictures, it is appreciated!
Hopefully they will listen to your critique and work to smooth out some of the easily fixable "forgot-about-thats".

The lack of more youthful attendees and the lack of attendees in general may be more difficult to address, but it is only the first year there, so there is hope.
As for all of these kinds of events that we sometimes cannot make, these kind of posts are appreciated!
Again, great pictures, THANKS!

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 01-25-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: eliminate duplicates
Old 01-25-2015, 03:59 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I thought the Lakeland location was a ton better. Swap laid out logically instead of scattered all over the place. Incredibly easy parking instead of the impossible situation last year. Pull in, walk in. Cars in the hanger were nice, too.

I'd fly back down to Florida again if it were in Lakeland again, but not in Old Town.

PS, they could use some more food vendors.

PPS: My comment about last year's layout isnt a criticism of the organizers, there's no other way to do it there- its a function of the facility.

I was there Thursday and Friday selling parts sold most of what I took! weather and crowds were great. Drove my 63 back on Saturday most of the way in the rain once it stopped raining it was cold and windy and I left early. The wash and shine show had 104 paid preregistered cars and only had 62 cars in the show including show day registrations. I think the Saturday weather had a big impact on attendance. I think the new location was a big improvement. Congrats to Tyler and his crew.
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Lakeland 2015

Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I think the Old Town Corvette only parking had an advantage because it was a natural thoroughfare between the eateries/general parking and the rest of the activities...you almost had to go through there once or twice to get to different things.

I don't know that sales were poor if the prices were right. I know Mike Colette moved several thousand dollars worth of stuff almost before he could get it out and place it in his vendor space.

Not sure what might attract a younger crowd. Lakeland is great for show veterans but a pretty good hump away from the usual Central Florida attractions.....Harry Mouse and Mickey Potter. Or whatever...I don't keep up...
Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've been down there two days running and have to agree. I don't know if its the venue location change or Mecum sucked all the oxygen out of the air or what...but the two observations above are correct
I had my LT4 car there for sale. And I was shocked at how few cars there were for sale, and even less buyers. I have heard from several people that the new location was too far from Mecum for the buyers to pop over and check things out. That said, the new location is a double edge sword. Hugely better venue overall, I found a great sandwich shop 5 minutes away. I hate Old Town, but it did provide things and proximity for wives and others not wanting to spend the entire day at the show. I have attended this show since the Cypress Gardens day, and this is the first year I didn't buy a damn thing. Seems like many of the normal vendors were missing, judged cars seem to me less in number as well. I am not being critical of the people that worked hard to put this together every year, it just seemed that if was an off year.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron C!
I had my LT4 car there for sale. And I was shocked at how few cars there were for sale, and even less buyers. I have heard from several people that the new location was too far from Mecum for the buyers to pop over and check things out. That said, the new location is a double edge sword. Hugely better venue overall, I found a great sandwich shop 5 minutes away. I hate Old Town, but it did provide things and proximity for wives and others not wanting to spend the entire day at the show. I have attended this show since the Cypress Gardens day, and this is the first year I didn't buy a damn thing. Seems like many of the normal vendors were missing, judged cars seem to me less in number as well. I am not being critical of the people that worked hard to put this together every year, it just seemed that if was an off year.
I noticed how few cars there were for sale as well. I think a black 69 (?) coupe was there Thur but might have sold? The cars that were there werent very interesting. Maybe that blue air 64 roadster? But, there werent many cars there last year either. I didnt think the show was much for a car corral either year.

I drove over from Mecum twice, people are just lazy if thats "too far."

I cant compare total vendors to other years, but one reason I came back this year was that show has as many/more real decent original / NOS Corvette parts available as any meet. Carlisle is way down but still has the most I guess, but I thought there were plenty of parts available. I bought a 63 shift console (hey TSA, WHY didnt you pull this out of my luggage like last year? Do your job!) and I would have bought a master cylinder but I didnt want to deal with the weight in mailing or carrying.

I cant explain why buyers were down . The subject of young people not being interested in the hobby has been beaten to death. I thought it was a great swap.

Quick Reply: Lakeland 2015