C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone use ZZ4 58cc aluminum heads on a 283 shortblock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone use ZZ4 58cc aluminum heads on a 283 shortblock?

Casting number -113; D-port, lightweight 1.94/1.50 valves; very light weight castings. These do have the centerbolt valvecovers and flow less than a vortec head (even the 5.0L vortec); BUT they have 160-163cc runners and there are tons of these around for pretty short money.

I figure a 9.5 - 10:1 compression shortblock with good squish, and a dual quad or EPS/ RPM/ 300-36 would make some pretty respectable power. Others have done it; but has anyone here done it, and what did you round out the application with. Also, were you happy with the results?

Watching it snow here in Syracuse
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 PM
troutster71
Racer

Location: Albuquerque Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default L-98

Not a 283, but I have a set of 113's on my stock bore/stroke 350.
Actually a '90 Vette L-98 that I purchased used in 1991, with the TPI.
113 heads were the last 1st Gen heads produced for Corvettes, I believe. My car, EFI since 1991! (But that is for another thread.)

Just last year, heads were ported, but not radical. The one intake port I checked was almost 170 CC as I recall. Chambers were worked, casting lugs removed and were CC'd. Stock valves were reused.

Basically I looked for info on the C4 forum. Everyone there says port, port, port. (for TPI 350's) Heads and intake. I changed the intake to an Edelbrock RPM Airgap, modified for injectors and fuel rails. I also referenced David Vizards 'How to build Max performance Small block chevys on a budget'.

Cam lift is just under .500, duration is 268/274. Chambers ended up 59 or 60 CC. Static compression is around 10.8. Decks are relatively thin so no more than .020 off (I cleaned mine up at .005) and a max of 11.0: 1 comp, so Vizard says.

I wasn't going for any HP or Tq numbers, just seat of the pants feel.
My car runs just like I hoped it would, it screams! Plenty of power to get in trouble with!

I think 113 heads would be a great choice for a hotrod 283. A little bowl work and a nice valve job, perfect! More work is just icing on the cake!

If you want more info or pics, let me know.

Cheers, Gary
Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Always liked that idea, its such a good match for compression and cost. But as troutster said theres a lot of more flow and pwr with those heads by porting. The exh side flows great but the intake flow is weak without some porting help. Completely ported with bigger vlvs their only like $1200 from TPIS and Lingenfelter sells a ported L98 head also.

Something to remember is aluminum heads really need a smoother block deck surface than an iron head does. Something like 25-30Ra for aluminum heads. Alot of owners slap on the alum heads with a MLS gasket only to find their losing coolant and now have bubbles in the coolant/radiator. Not everyone has that happen but it does happen. The alum head needs to slide more due to different expansion rate with temp. So what im saying is unless u have the block apart and can surface the block for alum heads then beware. Also i dont know what the max size vlvs are that u can use on a 3.875" bore block of a 283. U may have to limit vlv size to use in the smaller bore block.

Another choice is a tight chamber iron head and World Products sells those in 58cc #042650: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrl-042650-1. Simple pocket porting wakes up those iron heads and u can install them on the stock block as is - even use a steel shim gasket. Just my 2cents here for a 283 top end - just watch your compression with iron heads.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys!
Gary; Im in the snowbelt, I live for car pics LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use ZZ4 58cc aluminum heads on a 283 shortblock?

Quick Reply: Anyone use ZZ4 58cc aluminum heads on a 283 shortblock?