C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

radio delete fix??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I would just park a ghetto blaster on the panel behind the seat, hook it up to power, maybe with a MP3 player hookup. Save the originality of the car. And better sound probably.
Kerrmudgeon, with your fine collection of avatars, I would think that you could not find time to listen to a radio.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You can get a Bose mini-Soundlink for $189 (get the optional rubber cover for stability) and place it on your dash or behind you. 8 hours of battery life and play Pandora off your phone. No wiring required, no cutting and you can take it with you to Kermudgeon's bikini beach parties.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default They were option

I am probably the only one on the forum that did order a 63 coupe as a new item.....And it was ordered without a radio because it was never requested as a option...it was {RADIO} a option just the same as a FI option....Didm`t order it , never got it....111202

Apparently its a little known fact...and a heater had to be special ordered also until it became standard in the 61 model......it was not until around the 78 model did a radio become standard....Here you could delete a radio and even get the money back

OOPs NO antenna either......

Last edited by Ironcross; 01-28-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Rob Magnano
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a busted waterfall I'd sell
You could use it as a template.
Email me your info and I'll send you a picture.
robmagnano@hotmail.com
Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default WTB radio delete waterfall

Originally Posted by old68
is it difficult to add a radio to a radio delete car? would you go to a body guy to cut the fiberglass? are there templates for that? is it worth doing? any opinions or info would be great
I think you are convinced not to do this, but if you ever want to sell your radio delete waterfall, let me know. I will buy it, sell my radio, shielding, and antenna, fill and paint the antenna hole and have myself a radio delete tribute car!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Solutions

Find more entertaining passengers!
Find a passenger that can sing!
Just text while driving to keep yourself busy!
Get headers!
Buy an MP3 walkman!
Pull up next to people at a light that have good music playing!
Play that particular song that sticks in your head, prior to leaving the house!
ETC.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Find more entertaining passengers!
Find a passenger that can sing!
Just text while driving to keep yourself busy!
Get headers!
Buy an MP3 walkman!
Pull up next to people at a light that have good music playing!
Play that particular song that sticks in your head, prior to leaving the house!
ETC.
One more: Add side pipes and forget being able to hear any radio anyway!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Old68;

What year car are you talking about. I must have missed that somewhere.

An original radio delete car would not have an antenna, or a hole for one.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mattba
Of all the Corvettes I have had, one of my favorites was a radio delete 67 Roadster. The plain waterfall is so unusual looking (as there were only a hundred and something 67s with them) that it was the most interesting part of the car and what will always distinguish it from all the others you see at shows and cruise-ins. And I never got tired of explaining to people why mine was "missing" the all of the shielding under the hood!

But, AHEM! my '64 Shriner (purchased used at 16,000 original miles in 1966) came with no radio but FULL ignition shielding. I always thought the FCC or a similar government agency required it so as not to interfere with the radio reception of other drivers near you.

I think the shielding mandate eventually went away as car radio technology improved (my Panasonic radio in the trunk sounds crystal clear and I don't run the shielding anymore), but I do believe that was some time AFTER 1967.

OEM trivia experts please chime in!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:30 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can get a Bose mini-Soundlink for $189 (get the optional rubber cover for stability) and place it on your dash or behind you. 8 hours of battery life and play Pandora off your phone. No wiring required, no cutting and you can take it with you to Kermudgeon's bikini beach parties.

My wife gave me one of those Bose units for Christmas (with orders that I can't take it to Kermudgeon's bikini beach parties). I like the Bose but I have a lot of trouble with my iPod 6 dropping the Pandora signal. When the signal is good, the Bose sounds great and I can hear it over the sound of my side pipes if I turn it all the way up.

-- Steve
Old 01-30-2015, 08:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by sub006

But, AHEM! my '64 Shriner (purchased used at 16,000 original miles in 1966) came with no radio but FULL ignition shielding. I always thought the FCC or a similar government agency required it so as not to interfere with the radio reception of other drivers near you.

I think the shielding mandate eventually went away as car radio technology improved (my Panasonic radio in the trunk sounds crystal clear and I don't run the shielding anymore), but I do believe that was some time AFTER 1967.

The shielding and radio capacitors were chiefly for AM signal interference reduction; FM is much less susceptible to such noise. The shielding was overkill anyway. How many other '60s cars with AM radio had this extra metal around the ignition system ?

I drove first generation Mustangs for years with AM radios and NOTHING was shielded externally...

I'm not a trivia expert but I haven't heard of any early C2s without the radio option but WITH the shielding...
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
:

The correct answer is in the AIM.

PS. I added the shielding to my no radio '65 years ago just because......

It wasn't hard to do.

PSS. When you bought a dealer install radio kit, the complete ignition shielding came with it along with a template to cut the dash and the antenna location. If you see an antenna located in the wrong place on the deck (as some were), you can bet the antenna was added AFTER the car left the factory.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 PM
sub006
Race Director

I drove first generation Mustangs for years with AM radios and NOTHING was shielded externally...

I'm not a trivia expert but I haven't heard of any early C2s without the radio option but WITH the shielding...
Frankie, your Mustangs' ignition noise was shielded by their STEEL bodies, like all non-fiberglass cars.

The guy I bought my '64 from in 1966 had another no-radio Shriner, a 1963, which also came with shielding. Besides the uncut waterfall, my car also had NO hole in the rear deck, and no patch underneath.

Maybe St. Louis installed shielding on Shriners so they wouldn't interfere with audience or police radio or PA systems in parades or the football stadiums where they sometimes did close-order drills at halftime?

Last edited by sub006; 01-30-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Really ? Sure makes you wonder why you can buy concourse radio noise suppression plug wires for 65/66 Mustangs then ?

I have not read about a '63 Shriner car in any book I have, nor, have I heard of it on here before...and I don't know why it would be delivered any differently...but I'll take your word for it.. MikeM might have answered that tho...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-30-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The Shriners used hand-held walkie-talkie radios to coordinate their formation and parade activities, and having their cars built with radio shielding probably improved the clarity of their reception.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Really ? Sure makes you wonder why you can buy concourse radio noise suppression plug wires for 65/66 Mustangs then ?

I have not read about a '63 Shriner car in any book I have, nor, have I heard of it on here before...and I don't know why it would be delivered any differently...but I'll take your word for it.. MikeM might have answered that tho...
Don't know if any metal car in the 50'S/60'S that came with any kind of radio noise suppression. I believe the steel fire wall did what the shielding dose.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
Don't know if any metal car in the 50'S/60'S that came with any kind of radio noise suppression. I believe the steel fire wall did what the shielding dose.
Carbon core spark plug wires, capacitor on the voltage regulator. I think a capacitor on the blower motor and turn signals. Just don't remember all the places.

Get notified of new replies

To radio delete fix??

Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM
sub006
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The Shriners used hand-held walkie-talkie radios to coordinate their formation and parade activities, and having their cars built with radio shielding probably improved the clarity of their reception.

This explanation makes sense, once again we are indebted to THE guru of early Corvette standard production and the variations that drive CF members crazy several decades later.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 AM
sub006
Race Director

When a dozen guys were committed to buying a dozen cosmetically identical Sting Ray convertibles at the very start of EVERY year's production, they could get all kinds of unique little extras. For instance, the yellow '66 Shriners received black vinyl curtains with a center zipper that hid the luggage area behind the seats from prying eyes.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:46 PM
sircharles007
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I would just park a ghetto blaster on the panel behind the seat, hook it up to power, maybe with a MP3 player hookup. Save the originality of the car. And better sound probably.

What ghetto box?

Quick Reply: radio delete fix??