C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Something to keep in mind when buying old cars...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Default Something to keep in mind when buying old cars...

Never forget about personal security. Some people use the word "paranoid" about worrying about such things, but meeting up with a stranger based on a Craiglist ad with a pocket full of money is still something to be prepared for:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/2...tact/21135333/
Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yeah - my wife told me about this incident this morning...scary stuff...
Old 01-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

ALWAYS a take someone with you and never take the money with you and meet up in a public place.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its just inconceivable to me how this clown could not think he would be directly linked to this crime....prob a drugee...
Old 01-27-2015, 03:55 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Any cash meeting should be in the parking lot of the local Police Department. Al W.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Rider
ALWAYS a take someone with you and never take the money with you and meet up in a public place.
And that someone does not mean your lovely spouse......

unless of course she is an LEO, Navy Seal, Army Ranger, or a Marine, and is licensed to carry the firearm in her bag, if necessary.

Seriously though, no cash, and make that clear when agreeing to meet.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:12 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have never understood the concept of large cash purchases like this. It does not matter if you are the seller or the buyer, the possibility of robbery is just too high. If the other party will not accept an electronic transfer, then I walk away. Life is too short to put yourself at risk like this. If the seller or the buyer is not willing to follow me to my bank to complete a transaction, then there is probably something shady about the deal to begin with.

About the only place I take cash, is to swap meets, and I almost have quit going to them, as I spend a bunch of time to not find anything I am looking for!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-27-2015, 04:39 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I can certainly say I would not be as kind as that daughter to "love and forgive". No way in hell.

Sorry, just isn't going to happen.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

I have only ever bought a toy truck off of craigslist. I met the lady in parking lot at CVS about noon. My wife mentioned this story to me last night also.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

I prefer a first time, cashless, meeting at a lunch diner close to, and frequented by LEO's in uniform.

Those with criminal intent are, by definition, not too smart. But they are either uneasy in the presence of LEOs, or too familiar with them as a result of prior misdeeds, or both. Either way, you can read it in their body language.

Sad story, indeed.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Not just when answering ads.

I was driving my '54 from my shop in Orange, drove by Corvette Mike's in Anaheim and then was heading for my house about 15 miles away when I noticed I had a tail. I made a lot of turns and drove around some neighborhoods trying to shake him but he stayed a few hundred feet behind me the whole time. He was driving an older BMW. Finally I parked it and turned around to look over my shoulder at him. First he stopped then he drove by. I followed him for a couple blocks before he put the pedal down and took off. I called the cops and they told me next time don't let them know I know they are there, call the cops and stay on the phone until they catch up. He said they would make up an excuse to pull him over.

All this happened not long after the lady with the '57 was followed in the San Fernando Valley. The next day or so when no one was home they broke into her garage and took her car. The cops thought the guy following me was probably hoping I would take him to my house so they could do the same thing.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

This woman was a teacher at my nieces school! My mother in law saw her at their Church the morning before she disappeared. I've had good luck selling small items on craigist, but would agree taking cash for any transaction that is not in a public are is a bad idea. I won't even let buyers come to my house anymore...I make them meet me at a well lit gas station.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
I can certainly say I would not be as kind as that daughter to "love and forgive". No way in hell.

Sorry, just isn't going to happen.
A life for life unfortunately he only has one.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:48 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Besides the inherent dangers of a cash transaction, if you are selling the item, are you sure you are getting real money?
As Al stated in an earlier post, do the transaction at the police station and if in the parking lot, get there early and notify P.D. personnel inside what is going to happen in the lot.
Rick
Old 01-27-2015, 09:48 PM
64 Silver Blue
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Never forget about personal security. Some people use the word "paranoid" about worrying about such things, but meeting up with a stranger based on a Craiglist ad with a pocket full of money is still something to be prepared for:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/2...tact/21135333/
More than that, I sold two classic motorcycles within a week I advertised on Craig's List, and not a week later someone burglarized my house and stole $8,000 in cash I hadn't taken to the bank yet. I'll never do anything on Craig's List again. I'm lucky nobody was home, it could have turned out much worse.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Learned something about CL this week. Was interested in a car lift and requested the address. Seller told me the address of a gas station close to his house. Good idea I thought. Wouldn't take cash for a car except at my credit union lobby handing it over to the teller. I did pay $13.5k cash for a car once but wouldn't again. Insisting on a wire is safer. I think safest way to buy/sell is have other party open an account at your bank, wire money to account and transfer to you after getting title. Come to think of it safest way to show a car would be at a gas station near your home where buyer wouldn't know where car was kept.

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-27-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:00 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

This story just reminded me of the older couple that was selling their boat a few years ago, and ended up getting thrown overboard and killed after being robbed of their cash, ATM cards and PINs and being forced to sign a fake transfer of sale.

Another issue that comes to mind (along with others people have added here) is that older people (yep, me too) are seen more and more these days as "targets" with all sorts of money and are easy to dispose of. Some people even have a self-justifying jealousy of us. Its a sad truth of life now.

As an LEO I never trusted antbody, but I can't remind people enough to be aware of your surroundings and think about your own personal security on a daily basis. If you do accept a stack of cash, take it directly to the bank. I've traveled all over to look at cars but I never bring any sort of significant cash with me other than negotiation amounts. I tell sellers this up front.

Always think about whatever physical situation you put yourself in.

Get notified of new replies

To Something to keep in mind when buying old cars...

Old 01-28-2015, 12:02 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

A wire is not safe..., even something as simple as providing only your account # and your bank routing number. is all it takes for someone to steal your account.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have never understood the concept of large cash purchases like this. It does not matter if you are the seller or the buyer, the possibility of robbery is just too high. If the other party will not accept an electronic transfer, then I walk away. Life is too short to put yourself at risk like this. If the seller or the buyer is not willing to follow me to my bank to complete a transaction, then there is probably something shady about the deal to begin with.

About the only place I take cash, is to swap meets, and I almost have quit going to them, as I spend a bunch of time to not find anything I am looking for!

Regards, John McGraw
Never pay cash to a stranger. If it turns out there is a problem with the title or something you need proof of payment. When I sold my Trans AM on Craigs list my brother was standing nearby and was packing as was I just in-case All went well however but it pays to be safe.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:11 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
A wire is not safe..., even something as simple as providing only your account # and your bank routing number. is all it takes for someone to steal your account.
Oh really? I suppose opening a temporary account with $25 in it just for the one transfer wouldn't be safe and then transferring to your real account after the buyer/seller is gone home? My broker has told me it is very difficult to get your money back after a wire.

I bought a truck by opening an account at the seller's bank, transferring my money to the seller after getting the title. Not safe?

I'd say giving the buyer your brokerage account number with your life's savings in it wouldn't be a good idea....

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-28-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Something to keep in mind when buying old cars...